PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser mechanic

Brissyguy
25-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi all,

Looking at returning to the offshore brigade very soon. #:)

Boat we are considering has a 4.3 litre Mercruiser and I would like to have it serviced and checked over.

If anyone can recommend a good mechanic that will service motors on the water, please PM me.

Cheers,
# # # # # Rich.

Homer_Jay
25-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi rich,

Good luck trying to find a good mercruiser mechanic. And one that doesnt charge the earth. Seems as though no one wants to work on them and if they do they are going to chagre big time for it. If you do find someone reliable let me know.

Aaron

flatstrap
25-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Don't do it!
flatstrap

gilbo
26-06-2006, 08:09 AM
If you find one that is worth it then let me know as well. But from experience, I would not recommend a mobile guy working around the scarborough area. Or if you do use him, make sure you have everything he is supposed to do written down and signed off.

MulletMan
26-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Give Wayne at Northside Marine a call on 3265 8000.

They are top Mercruiser guys and will provide a trailer to pick up your boat from the Sandgate ramp (for a fee) and take it back to their nearby workshop.

I get my 5.8L OMC serviced there regularly and have to take it up there by water from Raby Bay. So far never a problem in ten years and a full service costs me just under $600 and that includes checking the stern drive and most other things.

Bit of a drama getting the boat to/from them but as already said; don't even consider trying for a service on the water!

Mine sits on a floating pontoon and the bottom of the canal is a metre deep with all the "things" I have dropped over the back messing about with the motor. A half decent mechanic would not even consider doing the job any way due to the impossibility of servicing the important stern drive.