PDA

View Full Version : Self Inflating Life jackets

rojac
24-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Does anyone have one, the manual self inflating not auto ones. I've been looking at some, although jackets aren't mandatory here yet, it won't be long as per some of the other states. Wearing the normal pdf's restricts movement and are uncomfortable.

Prices seem to vary between $100 - $200. Just by looking at them I can't see much difference except the dearer ones are "brand" names.

Any comments.

cheers

rojac

flatstrap
24-06-2006, 07:44 PM
I read somewhere that the auto inflatables can be undesirable in certain conditions. Like if the boat flips over, you're under the hull and can't dive under to get out. I suppose the normal PFD1 are the same.
You're looking at the right kind to buy...flatstrap

joey_1987
24-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey, I grabbed a couple of Marlin Manual inflate PFD1's a few months back because in Vic for boats under 4.8m you need to wear them unless anchored. They were $140 each and they're very comfortable. I think whitworths has them for $120 now or even get some from BIAS. My advice is try before you buy, see what's comfortable. The Stormy Seas are comfortable too but they were too much $$ for me. Cheers, Joey.

StevenM
24-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah I must say that I have been looing at them myself actually.

Morlers
24-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi Rojac

Just be aware that the manual self inflating (or auto self inflating for that matter) require testing and certification yearly the same as fire extinguishers for a boat do. The certification is required for any pressurised cylinder.

:) :)

Morlers

rojac
24-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi Rojac

Just be aware that the manual self inflating (or auto self inflating for that matter) require testing and certification yearly the same as fire extinguishers for a boat do. #The certification is required for any pressurised cylinder.

:) :)

Morlers

Good to know, I did see replacement cylinders at about $30, Yearly swap, my life is worth more than $30.

cheers

rojac

s-pac
24-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi Morlers,

I presume it would be only a visual inspection on a inflating vest.
I thought I read that the self inflating vests are the only ones recongised as PFD1, manual operated ones PFD2, could be totally wrong so maybe worth further investigation.

Regards s-pac #

wayne_cook
24-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi Morlers,

I presume it would be only a visual inspection on a inflating vest.
I thought I read that the self inflating vests are the only ones recongised as PFD1, manual operated ones PFD2, could be totally wrong so maybe worth further investigation.

Regards s-pac #
Im pretty sure manual are allowed pfd-1 but the cheaper ones from bias are only aproved in victoria

Caroline_Trezise
25-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Auto inflating life jackets are great but should never be put on kids. Just to let you know, because this is the stuff the sale staff don't tell. The sensor faces down so that rain drops don't activate the jacket. When a kid falls in they usually fall face first, so the jacket will take some time to activate, not sure how long that could be. But if you may face that situation, better get a manual,
which have pros and cons to, all of which need to be looked at so you get the right jacket for you.
Myself I wear a fishing vest that is rated PFD3 all the time (can't swim).

waykel
25-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Auto inflating life jackets are great but should never be put on kids. #Just to let you #know, #because this is the stuff the sale staff don't tell. # The sensor faces down so that rain drops don't activate the jacket. When a kid falls in they usually fall face first, #so the jacket will take some time to activate, #not sure how long that could be. #But if you may face that situation, better get a manual,
which have pros and cons to, all of which need to be looked at so you get the right jacket for you.
Myself I wear a fishing vest that is rated PFD3 all the time (can't swim). #
All the auto ones I looked at before I bought mine had manual backup. I bought RFD ones. The mob that makes the liferafts and stuff ;) Awsome on and cheaper than some others.

marlinqld
25-06-2006, 04:28 PM
At VMR RAby Bay we wear Stormy Seas inflatables.

Something sales people may not tell you about inflatable jackets. It is wise to consider a jacket one size bigger than you normal size.

When you inflate them, if normal size may be too tight and uncomfortable.

We also have coastal life jackets on the boats. These are best when in water as they hold your head correctly.... something to consider when buying

As with anything, lotsa pros lotsa cons........ investigate before paying.

mark221263
25-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I recently bought a RFD (PF1) one from BIAS, seem good value, sit flat and comfortable to wear. Also has the lanyard ring for those that might need one.

Good price to at $110 plus very compact to store.

Cheers Mark

Camo
25-06-2006, 05:09 PM
I just bought two RFD (PF1) one from BIAS as well. The salesman there said they were walking out the door, and that they had trouble keeping up with demand. They are comfortable to wear, and very simple and easy to put on.

Camo

backhoe
25-06-2006, 07:45 PM
I've got a stormy seas auto inflator ($260) and a RFD manual ($100). The Stormy seas is a lot more comfortable to wear than the RFD but it's probably not worth the extra money. But then again if it makes it easier to wear and the day out a bit more pleasant then maybe it is worth it. They are both excellent products and I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Never had any problems with the autoinflater going off.
They cost about $30 each to get certified each year with is a pretty minor cost when you take everything else into account.
They both have an air bladder inside than can be replaced if it gets holed. Just be careful with some jackets as the outer skin and bladder are one and the same and if it gets holed the whole lot has to be thrown away.

Find them really good for a bit extra security when fishing alone

gif
25-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Some of the cheaper ones are Europe Certified but not Australian #PFD 1 certified.

From what I can see (I have 4) #they are all very similar or maybe even out of the same factory #- # #there are only 3 brands of mechanism.

But the Rated Australian ones will ensiure you avoid a fine. #But most cost about $60 more.

The only Australian #certified model thats at the right Price #if the #RFD #- About $100 #from BIAS # ( the only place I have seen them but maybe elsewhere) # #They did sell out but now have them.

Gary

PS - the RFD fits and is comfortable #- I had it on for 7 hrs today.

RE some comments above

The Auto inflate models also have the manual pull cord - so the comments above doesnt hold.

re "getting caught underneath" - that would be the same for old fashioned non inflating jackets.

wessel
26-06-2006, 01:50 PM
We use the auto inflating ones on all our offshore construction jobs.
You get used to them after a while when you have to wear them 12 hours plus every day of the week.

The more expensive ones tend to stand up to abuse a bit better than the average commercially available ones. For weekend fishing the cheaper ones are just fine. Just dont store them in direct sunlight or in humid conditions.

When the auto ones are serviced, the CO2 cylinder and the dissolvable tablet is replaced annually. You could do it yourself, but the suppliers will not send replacement spares to the general public.

When you fall in the water, the jacket normally inflates within 3 seconds from first contact with the water. The inflation time of a jacket is in the region of 5 to 8 seconds average. (Auto inflators) It is not quite airbag speeds here.

With both types the little toggle tends to get in the way and people tend to hide the little ripcord away inside the jacket. That can be a problem if you fall in and you are trying to pull the cord. Kids tend to play with the little cord - quite funny when this bright yellow balloon suddenly appears around their necks.

Have fun

Wessel

gif
26-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Cheers Wessel - glad to hear your experience.

Actually I have bought replacement parts from BIAS - so no need to go to the supplier.

Mine went off inside a locker - that got a lot of water after washing the boat. Bit if a nuisance to get it out.

I store them on a shelf now days.

Gary

rick_k
26-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Marlinqld makes a good point when he wrote:

We also have coastal life jackets on the boats. These are best when in water as they hold your head correctly.... something to consider when buying

As with anything, lotsa pros lotsa cons........ investigate before paying.

Well, that might be two points. Anyway, if you are relying on a PFD1 to keep you alive for a long time, or an inflatable lifejacket, they may not do the job. PFD1s don't have the same amount of bouyancy in the same spots as the SOLAS/Coastal mods, and my name brand non inflatable PFD1 will not turn me onto my back.

A Tassie pro drowned some time ago due to becoming too tired to re-inflate his inflatable (respects to his family).

But, if it is too uncomfortable to wear, it won't do much good either.

cormorant
27-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Inflatables are fine as a precautionary jacket for day to day or fishing 1 up but if you are in a serious emergency I'd pick a old style jacket PDF 1 everyday but only a good quality commercial grade one. They aren't cheap but when we look at what we spend on boats it isn't that much extra and keep them where they can be accessed not in some hole somewhere as you'll never get them out in time in an emergency.

I have tested a quality brand inflatable in fresh water and it didn't turn me over every time and was slower than any lenght I could hold my breath. In salt water it worked a bit better but not aways. Must be my body shape as it was one that had passed the Aussie Standards.

Don't take your non inflatable jackets off the boat and always use them in an emergency if you have to abandon ship.

I'd like to see a inflatable jacket that filled with a solid foam so that it would take a bit more of a beating if it had a hole or was cut. Disposable but I wouldn't care about that if it saved my life and they could do a refil bladder so you don't have to buy it all again.

Rodman
30-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Just a word of advice with the self inflating life jackets as they are required by law to be checked annually at a cost of approx 80 dollars

Rodman

DR
30-09-2007, 06:03 PM
from msq

Retailers of PFDs sell re-charge kits for my brand and model PFD. Can I do the
service myself?
Self servicing of inflatable PFDs is not recommended. However, should you consider
yourself competent to do your own service you may. Follow the manufacturer's instructions
and ensure the re-charge kit matches your jacket.
Documentary evidence of the servicing is required. Keep the receipts for re-charge kits and
record the service dates.

so you can do it yourself.
with hutchwilco you replace the cylinder every 3 years for $20something dollars.