PDA

View Full Version : Which Deep Cycle batteries ? and what charger?

mjc85
27-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi i am after 2 12volt deep cycle batteries to power my new 80lb Minn Kota bow mount.

The shop i bought the minn kota from has "DYNO 100ah" for $222 each. Would these be adequate ?

They also have the cheaper century with 75ah but he assures me that the extra $60 per battery for the Dyno is definately worth it.

Also i am after a charger to charge the two batteries, i have heard good things about CTEK chargers. The minn kota one isn't suitable as it takes too long to charge apparently.

Mitch

Chimo
27-06-2006, 07:16 PM
mjc85

Are you on the GC or elsewhere.
PM me pls

Chimo

bj
27-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Bought a c tek charger a year ago but I only use it to charge a 36 amp Waeco battery that runs a 47ltr evakool fridge in my car. It is perfect for that but would not be suitable I don't think for batteries much bigger than that if you need a quick charge. They are not cheap I think I paid around $220 dollars back then. A charger worth considering is a Projecta charger, mine is 8amps & it also has standby mode. I charge my boat batteries with it & when battery is fully charged it will then go into standby mode, for memory I think it was $170. Just found the box for it 4.5 amps constant & 10 amps rms. Suitable for charging batteries up to 80amps Mine is the smallest model, they go up to 14amps & 30amps rms. Suitable for most batteries but no mention of AGM batteries. Both chargers came from Automart Slacks Creek but the Projecta had to be ordered.

BrandonH
28-06-2006, 10:56 AM
MJC, search around mate. I got 2 amptech 100amh batterys from sundown for $150 each. and they both have been worked hard for the lat 2 years and toped up once so far ;) Trojan would be battery of choice but they are more expencive but seam to work better. (my dad has 2 120amh ones). you need to go for a smart 3 stage charger!! I can't remember the brand of mine but it fully charges one of my batterys in a night. cost me just shy of $200 from northside marine. the more amps it charges at the quicker it will charge but the more important having a smart charger is!! what a smart charger does is drop the charge when the battery is getting too hot or nearing full capasity. then when the battery is full it drops to a trickle and just keeps it toped up untill you disconect it. if you like i will post the name of my charger for you, its been great!! once i hooked it up wrong and blew the fuse :-[ only 30c to repalce though ;D ;D

cheers
Brandon...

Ps: this has been talked about b4 if you do a search you will find more info about this ;)

mjc85
28-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Yeh the C-Tek charger i was after is about $550 and is a 3-stage and does 2 batteries overnight (7-8 hours).

BrandonH
28-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I think thats the same charger my dad just bought, does a great job and charges at 25amh? Mine isn't that fast, its rated at 15amh and only charges one battery at a time. I guess it depends on how much time you have/money you have ;D ;D ;D I usually only go through one battery every trip or 2!! and thats with it running my sounder 100% of the time.. Stern mounted 40lb minn kota ;)

Cheers n good luck!!
Brandon...

Ps: let me know what you got!!