PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for trailer builders

seatime
30-06-2006, 08:57 PM
G'day all,

Looking for somewhere to get a trailer built for a 18' Sharkcat.

Just after some options to using the mainstream trailer manufacturers. Is there somewhere or someone cheaper or less sophisticated to get a trailer built?
Has anyone had one built and give an opinion?

many thanks, Steve.

flatstrap
30-06-2006, 10:11 PM
IMO it would be a good strategy to go to a recognised trailer manufacturer because of their expertise in construction. You don't want to entrust your pride & joy on a trailer built by anyone less experienced. Engineering integrity is the No.1 'must have'.

The second part of my opinion is... Do you have enough experience with this boat and boating/trailering generally to know what to ask for in YOUR trailer?

If you have these two elements together, you will have a good trailer experience...flatstrap

p.s. Lots of money will be helpful too. Insist on quality components.

revs57
01-07-2006, 12:10 AM
G'day Steve...if you're looking to an alloy trailer Riptide Alloy boats (www.riptidealloyboats.com.au) have knocked out a few beauties for big boats (6.8mt plus) lately and you could have it built the way you want it...could be worth a call

All the best

Rhys

seatime
01-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks guys,

flatstrap, it's a close relatives boat that I fish out of regularly. We were after a heavier or less corrosive construction than the traditional cat trailer. The box section construction corrodes easily. The rig lives on an island and gets towed by a tractor 400 metres to the water, so weight isn't a problem. It's mostly shallow beach launching, so everything goes underwater. It was going to be built at home, but it's been decided it will be too heavy to handle in the shed. Probably get it made out of a 'I' or 'C' beam frame with epoxy or gal coating. Just need someone to build it now.

Rhys, I like the idea of alloy, there is an article in F&B Plate Alloy Boats edition about trailers. Apparently alloy might not be that more expensive than steel.
Definitely will call 'ripetide' for a quote, that's the kind of referral I was after.
cheers, Steve.

Snap
01-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Special Trailors, nth Bris.
I even gave them my old axle, which was their make.
& they still stuffed it. >:( :-? :-? :-?

23-sharkcat
01-07-2006, 06:42 PM
I personally would not have an alloy trailer for some thing as heavy as a cat...

My trailer for my 23' cat was weighed in at 700kg's.

there is a reason why cars trucks and traliers are made from steel and that is cost and strength, and really my trailer is 24 years old and gets dunked in the water that far that the only thing you can see is the winch.

are you going to use the skid plates or rollers. I have the black (neurprene) skid plates and they are fantastic. It is better if you buy these from a plastic company or similar for about a 1/5 of the price compared to the boat shops.

Mate a sharkcat trialer would have to be the eaisest trailer to build and maintain. I reckon I could build one from scratch in a day or 2. I suppose having all the equipment and workshop to do such a job and being a biolermaker also helps

dnej
01-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Give Fred a call at Mayfair marine,Rocklea way.They make Redco
David