PDA

View Full Version : Horizon Shores Marina

BillR
23-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Anyone launched their boat there lately? It is now $20 to launch, a 100% increase. Can't see me going back.

BillR >:(

Chimo
23-06-2006, 07:01 PM
That's the idea, as shown on the Horizon Shores development plan.

Their intention is to have no public boat launching allowed (probably still ok if you store your boat in their storage facility)

If they chase people away with higher fees now they may just see that as a bonus because if no ones going there where's the need for a public ramp.

One wonders if the original state and local govt approvals and conditions that the Horizon Shores development had to comply with for mangrove etc removal and the extensive earth work development had a time specified after which the public could be excluded? Any one know a politician?

The other issue which will eventually be a concern is if Rudy Maas's is sold and that ramp and secure parking also disappears. Rudy's is also used as a film location site too and there will probably be a push from the adjoining development inc yet to be built condos high rise apartments, hotels etc to not have such activity which often also includes explosives and other stunts and phyrotechnics etc.

Then there won't be either a Rudy's or Horizon Shores (this is not the new name by the way) public ramp. It might be worthwhile for users to check out the actions that may be possible to keep something going into the future. At least these site have reasonable security for parked vehicles etc cf to the other local ramps.

Chimo

epoc
23-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi Chimo,
Do you know if Rudy Maas sale is certain or even "in the winds"? My boat is in dry storage there and has been for some years. I'd be REAL cheesed off if I have to move it to one of those "snoob" type arrangements. I like the the "relaxed" (read non-stuckup) atmosphere at Rudys.... ;) ;)

Cheers
Epoc

Chimo
24-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Gooday Epoc

Re Rudy
read something some time ago, think there was some comment about the future at the site. #Don't know for sure and mentioned it as a possibility but knowing how this place works re development and expansion and the limited options left for water front expansion I'm betting there will be some serious dollars out there at some stage.

The real issue is to work continually to try and stop the loss of existing public or at least accessable infrastructure because once its gone .....

The other point is that both Rdy's and Horizon are reasonably secure and the payment of a few dollars per launch or in yourcase long therm means there is a chance your car and trailer will be there in one piece when you get back.

If your down at Rudy's why not ask what the future is for the place? #Would be great to get some up to date info on that location. #Horizon Shores on the other hand ................

"Berth Boom at Marina #
June 2006 - Gold Coast Bulletin - Boat owners and investors have splashed out more than $7 million to buy berths at the Horizon Shores marina precinct near Jacobs Well. The sales follow the recent release to the market of 132 marina berths at the 93ha precinct as part of a planned major expansion and transformation of the facility.

Horizon Shores was bought by Russell McCart's Meridien group in a $30 million deal that settled last year. Meridien has been selling marina berths with 20-year leases for prices starting around $115, 000.Meridien chief executive Warwick Bible said marina berth sales were ahead of target.

''The interest has been tremendous during the past four weeks and, with sales better than expected, we are well and truly on track with the transformation of Horizon Shores, '' he said.

Meridien will spend $500 million on the expansion of the marina. It aims to create an appealing lifestyle facility with a village, waterfront cafes and restaurants, a yacht club, specialty retail outlets, day spa, childminding facilities and a marina emporium with 10, 000sqm of floorspace that will showcase boating equipment and hardware. The number of marine industries based at Horizon Shores is also targeted for increase.

The development plan calls for 40,000 sqm of extra industrial space, a boat-stacking facility capable of storing 1000 vessels and a rise in the number of leasehold wet berths from 500 to 1350. Work on the Horizon Shores redevelopment and expansion is scheduled to begin mid-year. Mr Bible said Transport Queensland statistics showed boat ownership was increasing at a rapid rate with registrations for 12m to 15m vessels rising by more than 20 per cent in the past two years. Horizon Shores is minutes from the Jumpinpin Bar and located in a 518ha area between Cabbage Tree Point and Jacobs Well that is designated by the city council as the Gold Coast's northern marine precinct.

In conclusion Epoc who really know for sure.

Chimo
PS Have a look at the plan for Horizon Shores re public boat ramp?

epoc
26-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info Chimo. I am popping down to my "baby" at Rudy's tommorrow, so I might throw out a few feelers to the guys workin there and see what I can find out. Standby for a report.

Cheers
Ian

PinHead
26-06-2006, 11:36 AM
From what I have heard, Meridien are not interested in Maas.
Wor is supposed to start on the new berths in July.
As for the $20...I agree it is a lot if only going out for the day..but if overnight it is good value for the security.
The name is now: Meridien Horizon Shores

epoc
03-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Took a little more time than I anticipated, but it seems I may have good news. Apparently, Rudy Maas is held in trust by the original Rudy himself and HAS to be handed down from father to son!! H.S. has certainly been trying for the last 12 months to buy Rudy's but according to sources, it cannot be bought legally no matter how many $$$ are thrown at the current owners. So it seems Rudy's may indeed be safe for sometime. ;D ;D

Regards
E

PinHead
03-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Gotta keep Maas as it is..it is like stepping back into another world..not much has changed since Rudy was running it.

Chimo
03-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Epoc

Thanks for the advice, seems like good news.

Chimo

Pecker
04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Having just used Cabbage Tree on the week-end the issue of where to leave the the car and trailer is a big issue. Some boaties had to leave there vehicle 3 to 4 blocks away from the ramp. Hopefully as indicated earlier higher fees at Horzin isn't a thing of the future " demise of public ramps"
What is also a nuisance is cars taking up trailer parks.
Pecker ;)