PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance...which would you recommend?

jack_attacks
02-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Guys

New boat arrives on Wednesday - need to organise insurance. Any insurers better than others... :-/

Which insurer would you recommend, and why? :-?

Thanks in advance...
Matt

marco
02-07-2006, 09:52 PM
club marine are great untill you need to make a claim , then you may as well pull your pants down and bend over the barrell.

after speaking to a lot of poeple in the industry go eithier racq or suncorp , racq insurance is half owned by suncorp but is cheaper for some reason .

MTS_-_fish_magnet
02-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Lets face it - any insurance company is the same when you have to make a claim. They love taking your money but hate to give it back. Bunch of absolute w@%k$#s.

I've just had an episode for life insurance where an insurance company sent me a $540 renewal, followed by a $1940 renewal followed by a $1520 renewal. When I asked them to explain what they are doing before I pay I was met with silence. Solution F^&k them and move on...their loss, my gain. :)

Best to get the simpliest and cheapest I reckon.

The_Walrus
02-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Best choice would be after hearing from those who had to put in a claim and what sort of service they received.

I'm with RACQ and so far happy with them. The more secure your rig is when at home, the lower the premiums.

Can't comment on service when claiming as I've not had to as yet.

Luc

MyEscape
03-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Yep, I with RACQ insurance. Have a policy that covers everything, house, contents, 2 cars, boat etc. I think you will find most insurance compnys are giving a discount for multiple policies, so sometimes that needs to be taken into account.

Steve

griz066
03-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Just got quotes from Suncorp & RACQ for house & Contents, car, boat and personal items away from home.

It is all about the $$$$, Suncorp were $200 cheaper for the same cover, so they get the job.

Shop around

fishing1
03-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Went to insure my 19c haines the other day they told me it had to be marine surveyed first. Took it to a surveyor and he told me all second hand boats fiberglass or alluminium need to have a written surveyors report before being insured. He only charged me $200 for a half hours work. I think im in the wrong type of job. Brad.

Any_Weather
03-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Matt, I have mine insured with Suncorp and had to make a claim last year after hitting somethind BIG in a wave and denting the side of my boat. There was no questions asked and it was fixed immediatly. Am very happy with thier service.

Lee

jack_attacks
03-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Hmmm...thanks to all - will let you know once I start to ring around re. prices. On your advice I will try Suncorp and RACQ first.

Matt

dnej
03-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Matt, I have posted many time on this subject,and perhaps a search may find them.
The main thing is to get agreed value.
Where can you do that
Club
QBE
NRMA
Agreed value is that you insure the goods,for the value they are,and get that value when you put in a claim.
I found NRMA to be the best.
However have everything at your finger tips,when you talk to them
Serial numbers
Price you paid
Rego Numbers,boat and trailer
What price you want to put on the goods.
Where it is housed
who the drivers will be
Speed of the boat
Licence to carry how many
The price is not the most important part.
Hope that helps. Get on the internet,and have a look at the product disclosure brochure.Read it thoroughly
David
Motor size

Jeremy
03-07-2006, 09:59 AM
my tinny is with Suncorp and they were good when I needed to make a claim after going over on the bar a few years back.

Jeremy

dnej
03-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Hey Jeremy,
How did you manage that ,just out of interest.
David

Jeremy
04-07-2006, 07:11 AM
went over on the Caloundra bar coming back in, not a bad day, just a combination of bad luck, inexperience, and poor judgement.

Jeremy

Tony_N
04-07-2006, 07:45 AM
went over on the Caloundra bar coming back in, not a bad day, just a combination of bad luck, inexperience, and poor judgement.

Jeremy

Now, you don't hear that kind of honesty too often. Congrats Jeremy, nearly everybody I know that has lost it on a bar has been hit by that mysterious "freak wave". :P

Tony

Argle
04-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Im insured with Suncorp. Got an agreed value on boat motor & trailer, also got the waterskiers extension - mandatory if you are going to tow anything ie: tubes wakeboards skiers etc. Im also a member of Moreton Bay trailer Boat Club and as such get a club member discount which incidently covers the cost of my MBTBC membership :) 8-)

Cheers and beers
Scott

Tinn
04-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Go with RACQ I found them to be the cheapest by far at the time I was looking. You have to shop around and get the best deal.

Hot_Snappa
04-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Agree with previous comments re sourcing an insurer that uses Agreed Value. Having said that, I have found NRMA to be very competitive and also good on claims (even though I have never made one, mates have and were suitably happy with the service).
Only comment I can make about Club Marine is that their quote was more than double what I am paying with NRMA.

Dave

billfisher
04-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm with NRMA they don't charge too much in premiums and I have never had a problem when I have made claims.

dnej
04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Scott,with all due respect,Suncorp do not affer agreed value.Yes , they agree to insure you for what ever you suggest,however,wait till claim time,it will be at market value.
Read your policy doc, in regards to claims,and call them.
This is what is wrong with insurance companies,you think you will get what you insure for, but anly agreed value does that.
David

gotya
04-07-2006, 04:00 PM
i went with SUNCORP. They were a little cheaper and offered a better deal when i mentioned the other quotes i got.. THATS your bargining power

finding_time
04-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Scott,with all due respect,Suncorp do not affer agreed value.Yes , they agree to insure you for what ever you suggest,however,wait till claim time,it will be at market value.
Read your policy doc, in regards to claims,and call them.
This is what is wrong with insurance companies,you think you will get what you insure for, but anly agreed value does that.
David

David

I'm just about to move my insurance from a certain marine club insurance company to suncorp for the reason that my present insurance company will replace an item to its depreciated value where as suncorp will replace any item new for old. Very important!!!!!

Ian.

A lot off poeple i know in the boating industry recommend suncorp to me for this reason.

dnej
05-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Ian,
Umless something has changed just recently,Suncorp dont offer agreed value on boats,I will check this out
David

dnej
05-07-2006, 08:44 AM
OK,
Have had a look,yes they do replace, but only for 2 years. Product is market value, not agreed value,after that.
David

marco
05-07-2006, 06:50 PM
dnej, you are correct about agreed value , but it is a waste of time when the insurance company engage assesors that do everything they can to discredit your claim to the benifit of the insurer . club marine is one of those and as for there agreed value they subtract 5% per year of age off the value . so many trade poeple have told me you get a better result with racq or suncorp , i went with racq .
mark