lucylass
16-06-2006, 12:11 PM
off in the motors ignition :o :o :o

any suggestions on how to get it out

::)

not that i did that but just wondering :-[

blaze
16-06-2006, 12:18 PM
remove ignition switch and tap gently on a piece of wood until it come out enough to grasp with needle nose pliers, then take to lock smith to get new key.
Never tried but thats how I would try for a start
cheers
blaze

aussie_stu
16-06-2006, 12:29 PM
leave it in there and use a screwdriver when you need to start it ;D

needlenose pliers or tweezers would be the go thoug, like blaze said, but you might be able to grab it with tweezers without pulling the ignition apart??

el_carpo
16-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I use a coping saw blade whenever I .......er...... or I would if I ever broke off a key in a lock/ignition ;). You take a coping saw blade and cut off one of the notch thingies at the end that holds it in place on the saw. That gives you a slim piece of jagged metal. Just the thing for such a situation. You CAREFULLY push the blade along the key and try to catch hold of it. If you can, it should come right out. Not that you did such a thing ;) ;D. Yeah, me neither. ;D

A quick warning. Don't use the "Super-glue" fix. There is a method where you dab super-glue to the end of a tooth-pick and attach it to the broken key. Unless you use the exact right amount of glue and don't touch any part of the lock, you'll destroy the lock. Lock smiths make lots of money thanks to the "super-glue method." ;)

Hope this helps.

rando
16-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Can of petrol and a lighter

lucylass
16-06-2006, 12:42 PM
superglue :o

match ::)

el_carpo
16-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, believe it or not, some people do try using super-glue! I don't think that has EVER worked though. ;D A lock-smith probably suggested it once to drum up business. ;D

I once had the "pleasure" of trying to extract a busted key from a lock after the super-glue method had been deployed. It took lots of fire and solvents to solve that puzzle! :o ;D

I appologize to any lock-smiths here. It was just a joke. I know lock-smiths would never make such a suggestion.

Did you get the key out? You mentioned a match....

Is your ignition now busted key free?

lucylass
16-06-2006, 01:14 PM
[quote author=aussie_stu link=1150423900/0#2 date=1150424947]leave it in there and use a screwdriver when you need to start it #;D #

thats what we do now :-/

lucylass
16-06-2006, 01:15 PM
no not yet

Fishin_Dan
16-06-2006, 02:13 PM
thats what we do now :-/

Not that you did it though... ;) HA HA HA

You could try a strong magnet... (A fridge magnet wont cut it!) Not sure if it will grab keys though... Would be worth a try!

DeeGee
16-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Sorry Dan, probably NOT worth a try - most keys are made od non-ferrous metal and will not be attracted by even the most powerfull magnets. Some boat keys may be made of stainless steel but it's not very magnetic either.
I dont know what breed of motor you have lucy, but if it's anthing like my Honda's ignition lock it could be a very difficult job. Best advice I can give, is to be very careful never to do it (again)

Cheers Deegee.

Captain_Starli
16-06-2006, 03:33 PM
i would probably get a small blade screwdriver, put a small dot of superglue on the end, hold carefully on end of key until set, then try & gently pull key straight out..just don't get glue on the lock itself.. :P

lucylass
16-06-2006, 03:52 PM
bugger

its really in there

i was hoping to avoid the new barrell at $110

maybe hubby wont notice 8-)

StevenM
16-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Copeing Saw Blade like el carpo said.

Nice teeth on those suckers to get a grab

Cheers

Steven

backhoe
16-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Don't try the super glue thing
Been there done that
Doesn't work and ends up costing a lot more than taking it to a locksmith in the 1st place

choppa
16-06-2006, 06:41 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i think i can recall something said about being a LEGEND

let me see

''''lucylassAusfish Bronze Member"""

Re: who would let their wife take the boat out?

« Reply #22 - on: 11. Jun 2006 at 22:39

i am a legend .... (joking)

no truthfully cant back a trailer but can do a lot of everything else""""

like breaking keys perhaps?????????? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dignity
16-06-2006, 07:24 PM
I look for a decent pair of tweezers in my house and all I can find are those long thin things that are useless as tweezers but might do the trick on the key although for some reason locks on boats seem to be extra difficult to get out. #Best of luck.

sam

Another thought use some sort of lubricant to make it easier to get out - not sure which would be the best to use in theeses circumstances

jim_farrell
16-06-2006, 07:58 PM
2 very narrow stanley knife blades, one either side of key. Work out using side of barrel as leverage points. Wrap blade with tape where you hold it.
Jim

lucylass
16-06-2006, 09:56 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i think i can recall something said about being a LEGEND

let me see

''''lucylassAusfish Bronze Member"""

Re: who would let their wife take the boat out?

« Reply #22 - on: 11. Jun 2006 at 22:39

i am a legend .... (joking)

no truthfully cant back a trailer but can do a lot of everything else""""

like breaking keys perhaps?????????? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

touche choppa

but i really didnt do it one of my employees did

but luckily............ i already had another go at you in the occupation thread before i read this

yay 8-)

have i said before i like your avatar ;D

lucylass
16-06-2006, 09:58 PM
I look for a decent pair of tweezers in my house and all I can find are those long thin things that are useless as tweezers but might do the trick on the key although for some reason locks on boats seem to be extra difficult to get out. #Best of luck.

sam

Another thought use some sort of lubricant to make it easier to get out - not sure which would be the best to use in theeses circumstances

tried that (have the same tweezers) useless for everything including getting keys out of ignitions

thanks

s-pac
16-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Just take it to a locksmith, should be able to remove key in a few seconds, and even cut a new key from broken piece/s.
No a big problem if you have right tools. If worse came to worse remove cylinder / switch and take to locksmith, no callout fee.Should cost $20 to$30 at a guess.

Regards Andrew

Adamy
16-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Chewing gum..... chew chew chew... spit it out place in lock... pull out key Bobs ur uncle..... ::)

Fine print: Just want to see if anyone is stoopid enough to try this one out.. about the same as superglue anyhooo :o ;D ;D

lucylass
16-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Chewing gum..... chew chew chew... spit it out place in lock... pull out key Bobs ur uncle..... ::)

Fine print: Just want to see if anyone is stoopid enough to try this one out.. about the same as superglue anyhooo :o ;D ;D

omg

i hadnt tht of that ta lol ;D

you guys arent taking this seriously..................... now seriously r u 8-)

aussiefool
17-06-2006, 05:44 AM
M8, sorry to say there is nothing you can do about it :'( the boat is now broken. So being the kind bloke I am I willing to take your broken boat off your hands for just a 6pk, but you will have to drop it around to my place for that price ::) ;D
P.M. me for details
Aussiefool
Andrew

familyman
17-06-2006, 02:02 PM
If you've been using a screwdriver to turn the ignition then that key aint coming out without pulling the barrel apart as the entry will be damaged from the screwdriver :(
Good news is that an employee did it- immediatley fire them then take the repair cost out of their termination payment ;D ;D ;D just kidding.
Seriously I used to pull apart abloy locks and repair them,not that hard unless the barrels are rivetted together at the end .If its only a circlip then your in luck,just pull the barrel out and pull apart in a brightly lit room with a hard floor and no gaps .That way if you drop something then you can find it easily.I once dropped a spring while doing a lock in a stairwell and had to walk down 3 floors to find it >:(.
Do the disassembly on a towel to stop things from rolling and remember- someone put it together so it must come apart ;)
good luck and cheers jon

Eagle
17-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Removing a broken key should be relatively easy, You just need the proper tools. One of my specialities is removing snaped off bolts with out resorting to those lousy "easy-outs", but that another set of stories.
So, what you do is go and have a big cry in the corner ( it's gonna cost a bit) then seek out a Dremel type tool. I have about 3 or 4 dremels and then bought a Chinese thing that has runs rings around a Dremel for expense and durability and usefulness. It was also the same size if I remember and only cost $35.00 at Bunnings.
Get an Engraving tool to fit the machine. These cutters are spherical in shape and about 0.8 mm in diameter. Using maximum revs, VERY carefully drill a hole in the end of the key. The cutter will penetrate straight in endwise. These ball ends are rather fragile so be VERY careful. Drill the hole at the center of the key if possible but dont drill it straight in. Drill at about a 45 degree angle and to a depth of about 3mm if possible. Now get a length of music wire (that will fit into the hole) from your favorite model aeroplane hobby shop or similar and bend the end to a 45 degree shape to form a short 3 or 4 mm "hook". Insert it into the hole and pull it out with a set of pliers. A 2 mm deep hole will suffice if you go gently. Be VERY carefull that the cuttings dont fall into the lock and jamb up all your good work. Have someone hold a vacume cleaner hose close to the work to suck up all the bits from the hole as you drill. A brass key is easy to drill, a steel key will take a bit longer, maybe even 15 or 20 mins but it can be done. When it's out, sit back, have a long cold drink of milk coffee and wrap yourself around a big bar of chocolate.

Eagle

Owen
18-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Lucy, I'm surprised a woman hasn't figured the real answer to this problem long ago.
All these fixes either risk more damage or require you to buy tools costing more than the repair.

Just glue the old bit of key back on and ask yer hubby to wind the motor over while you tinker with the motor.
When it breaks off, berate him severely about it and maby drop a tear or two coz you can't go fishin today.

He'll be back in an hour with a new key and a bunch of flowers ;)

cheers,
Owen

phewy
18-06-2006, 02:57 PM
:D

Best solution as yet! ;D

jim_farrell
18-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Owen, the way your mind is working, we could question which side you are batting for. ;D ;D ;D However, best idea yet.

Volvo
18-06-2006, 04:26 PM
:-[Can actually talk from experience here as thats excatly what happened to me :-X :-[...
Ended up supergluin the back halfe to the one stuckin the ignittion and still stuck there today..
Mightnt be herxactly what i shoulda done but it works ;D..
Cheers

Owen
18-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Owen, the way your mind is working, we could question which side you are batting for. ;D ;D ;D However, best idea yet.

I told my wife no good could come of making me watch Brokeback Mountain #;D ;D :-X

cheers,
Owen

S_Bend
01-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Had the exact same thing happen to me some time back. Snapped it about half way down. Stuffed around myself for a while before I took it to a boat mechanic mate of mine. He had a "specialty" tool - an old pair of pliers ground down to provide for tweezer like pincers but had the strength of the pliers. Grabbed the back of the key and pulled it out. Simple.

youngfisho
02-07-2006, 06:34 AM
try gettin some artery clamps or forceps, they may have sufficient clamping power to get the key out, and are small enough. they also have that lockin deviice which then enables u to use more control to slide the key out. maybe give it a squirt of inox as well.

cheers

and good luck

andrew

Owen
02-07-2006, 12:11 PM
jeez andrew,
That must be some first aid kit you carry in your boat!!
Artery clamps?!?!?
Might be better to leave the knives at home bloke ;)

cheers,
Owen

Dignity
02-07-2006, 06:56 PM
:-? so did we get the key out yet :-?

youngfisho
03-07-2006, 06:45 AM
nah mate im a nurse so the disposable ones always come in handy. fly fishos over here in england use them to fo extracting flies from trout mouths. but thats gonna be the best tool for removing the key without resorting to the expense of a locksmith. should be able to pick up the clamps for around the 3 to 4 dollar mark.

andrew

lucylass
03-07-2006, 01:12 PM
:-? so did we get the key out yet :-?

just so you all can sleep at night now

NOOOO i didnt but i did order a new barrel

thanks everyone

lucylass
03-07-2006, 01:15 PM
M8, sorry to say there is nothing you can do about it #:'( the boat is now broken. So being the kind bloke I am I willing to take your broken boat off your hands for just a 6pk, but you will have to drop it around to my place for that price #::) ;D
P.M. me for details
Aussiefool
Andrew

:( :o ;D ;D

i think its worth a case at least

lucylass
03-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Lucy, I'm surprised a woman hasn't figured the real answer to this problem long ago.
All these fixes either risk more damage or require you to buy tools costing more than the repair.

Just glue the old bit of key back on and ask yer hubby to wind the motor over while you tinker with the motor.
When it breaks off, berate him severely about it and maby drop a tear or two coz you can't go fishin today.

He'll be back in an hour with a new key and a bunch of flowers #;)

cheers,
Owen

hubby loved this one and employee said he should have set me up this way ;)

Dignity
03-07-2006, 05:38 PM

He'll be back in an hour with a new key and a bunch of flowers #;)

cheers,
Owen

sold - drop the case and the boat around anytime this week

hubby loved this one #and employee said he should have set me up this way ;)

lucylass
07-07-2006, 02:35 PM
oh shock oh horror

i bought a new barrell for the work boat and when the boys took the old barrell out there is a hole in the base of the barrell that you stick a pin in and out pops the broken key......................................

who knew huh............................................... .................................................. ..

now i have a spare ignition :o :o :o :o :o