PDA

View Full Version : Baystar Hydraulic Steering

John_R
26-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Had more or less decided to put hydraulic steering on my 530 Spirit with 115 Johnson. Went to Bias and they told me that Baystar is unsuitable for motors over 100 hp. This is notwithstanding the documentation that says it is good for motors up to 150 hp. They said that it might be okay for up to 150hp on lakes in America but not offshore.

I was interested in Baystar because it is a bit cheaper than the other brands and also requires a smaller hole in the dash.

Can anyone confirm this?

Regards

John

ribbit
30-06-2006, 05:04 PM
I just fitted a baystar unit to my 115 etec on 5.25 stacer. Took me about 3hrs to fit. Str8 foward but u need 2 people to bleed air out.
Only thing I don't like is I have lost a bit of lock to lock as ram does not give as much throw as manual did.
Tracks great but bit of getting used to at ramp. 5 turns to lock not 1.5.

John_R
07-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Hi Ribbit,

Did you get the bullhorn type or the side-mount?

I reckon the guys that told me they are no good over 100HP are probably full of it, but it was enough to scare me off for a while.

I know there are a couple of polycraft 530 owners out there that have it and the only problem they have reported is weeping fluid at the head - possibly overfilled.

Was impressed with the HyDrive front mount unit - there are four bolts on the front of the motor mount to attach the cylinder and then the hoses don't move - $900 from Bias.

The cable steering seems to be behaving itself lately so I will probably leave it for a while.

Regards

John

ribbit
07-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Bullhorn type.