PDA

View Full Version : Old Girl New Look 2

dnej
28-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Well, for those that have been following, today the motor is installed.

Now waiting on stripes,and Rego numbers. I need the 240 mm deep lettering,as they will go over the ribs.
More work tomorrow, installing electrics,isolation switch,etc etc
But now I have something to work with.
Anyone know where I can get 240 mm lettering in Brisbane.
David

dnej
28-06-2006, 06:55 PM
This was how it used to look

blaze
28-06-2006, 07:28 PM
I think ausfish can cut any height you want, give steve a pm.

fishn-ads
28-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Um where to buy STICKERS in Brisbane?

AUSFISH look at the top and bottom of every page and give abit back to the people that provide this great forum.

Don't want to sound to much like a S.A. but it's my nature sorry.

Ads

sid_fishes
28-06-2006, 07:59 PM
mate who did the pod extension??? looks like a good thing

youngfisho
28-06-2006, 08:24 PM
is that a 90 you put on the back dnej. cant wait to see the full on water shot, with the thing running. been trying to convince the old man to put a pod on the back of his and repower with a 90hp four stroke.

andrew

StevenM
28-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Dave the Yammy looks good on the ol girl, you will have to post a pick when shes all tarted up.

Cheers

Steven

dnej
28-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the prod on the Ausfish numbers,gees I am a dill.
Yes thats a 90 hp Yammie.Got it from Yatala Yamaha,I can highly recommend them.

The Middle pod was made by Fisher Boats at Bribie,you will see their advertisement on this web site.Great people to do business with.

The new bottom looks the part, cant wait now, but got to be patient.

Hey do you recon the guy in the pic looks happy?
David

blaze
28-06-2006, 08:49 PM
hi david
dont know about being a dill, how often is the answer staring us in the face and we dont see it.
Looking foward to some full on water shots
cheers
blaze

KGW2
29-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Just a question.. Why did you not replace the Mariner with a new Mariner or Merc, rather than the Oriental job? ::)
Looks like the girl gave you at least 20 years + of service.

dnej
29-06-2006, 09:03 AM
KGW,
In the 80's the original Mariner,was made by Yamaha,and your comment about the service ,is exactly why I stuck with the Yamaha.

The Original motor is still going strong,and the only reason I sold, was due to the increase in HP,that I needed,with the plate bottom and all.

My other choice,would have been a Suzie.
David

Az
29-06-2006, 10:08 AM
looking good mate, good as new!

where's the full boat pics.. keeping my hanging here!

dnej
29-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Gidday Az,
Been holding off on that till I get it striped.Looks like a white brick at the moment.Been to see Col yet?
David

Az
29-06-2006, 11:11 AM
not yet mate, i had a change of plans on the boat I was looking at.. holding off a bit longer yet to assess my options

dnej
06-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Az,Here tis.Got it striped today.How do you like the Dolphin Fish
David

dnej
06-07-2006, 06:14 PM
She used to look like this

dnej
06-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Another Pic

dnej
06-07-2006, 08:46 PM
I would like to know, what position is best, on the new motor, for trailering.

If you have a look at the first pic, is that sufficient tilt, or should the motor me tilted more.
My old motor was quite different,in the position it tilted
Any comments?
David

markpeta
07-07-2006, 05:24 AM
David lookin good what about the inside have you fited it out yet ? leave the outboard all the way down takes the pressure off the tilt and trim seals. Looking forward to see the end product. Hope you clean those side rails good ;D ;D ;D.

Mark

marlinqld
07-07-2006, 05:27 AM
Motor tilt looks ok to me. is it siting down on the lock fitted? If so its ok, that takes the weight off the seals etc in the hydraulics.

Do you have a yoke to support the motor also? Though it looks like you may not get a yoke under the motor then back under the end of the boat to the trailer, due to the length added by the pod.

IMHO trailering without yoke is ok for small trips or to local ramp, but any longer towing it should be supported by a yoke.

This not only takes the weight off the hydraulics of the tilt/trim, but also the yoke helps take some weight off the transom and transfer it down into the trailer frame a bit.

Mike

PS..... great job on the old girl, looks a treat.

dnej
07-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Mark,
I am working on the inside now. It was fitted previously, but of course, nothing fits ,with all the power leads to the stern, too short, and the batteries, need a new place. Also needed longer battery leads.

Have put in an extra 1500 gph ,bilge pump, put lanolin on the bottom on the inside, filled her with floatation foam, replaced the floor, and got that all screwed down.
Seats are back in, the screen as you can see is on, but needs sealing.

Fitted LED running lights, but need to connect them yet. Inside needs a good paint over, but Iam going to do that by hand, in a non glare product. Needs new carpet also. ( after going on holidays,15th July)

Mike, if you have another look at the pic, you can just make out the yoke, coming from the motor , to a bracket I had made up ,and welded to the transom, at the bottom. The yoke is adjustable.

My main question was, have I tilted the motor to its best trailerable position, or should I go higher.

I have read in the manual about the lock fitted, but as yet have not worked them out. I will take another look.
I wont go any where without a motor support.
Thanks for the comments
Regards David

blaze
07-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Hi David
She looks sweet
I prefer to travel with my motor in the full up postion, there will be a lock there to take the weight (located very close to tilt tube), In this postion the weight of the motor is directly over the pivot point, putting all the wieght in a downward motion onto the transom and there is no danger of hitting the skeg on the road
cheers
blaze

Az
07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Az,Here tis.Got it striped today.How do you like the Dolphin Fish
David

looks great David!! love the graphics and the paint has made a world of difference! top stuff

dnej
07-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks Blaze,and Az.
Blaze, found the stoppers. This puts the motor, as you say fully up, and that is where I used to trailer,on my old girl. The yoke is also adjustable to that height, so I will be able to do both.
Getting near 1 pm, I am off to the ramp. to meet with Paul from Yatala Yamaha,to do some testing
Will talk to you later.
David

Az
07-07-2006, 03:31 PM
let us know how she goes.. or just testing on the ramp?

dan099
07-07-2006, 04:51 PM
hi mate just wondering how much the paint and stripes set u back and were u got it done as i would like to get this done

dnej
07-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Well what do you know, no leaks. They changed to prop from 17 inch, to 15 inch, so it would rev out more. Is that normally the way to go?

The boat tends to porpoise,even when trimmed right in.
I feel it could be about one hole too high in the mounting.Would that cause that problem.
I will also need to move the batteries forward, in any case, and this may help.
Any suggestion?
Regards David

dnej
07-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Another pic coming off the plane

dnej
07-07-2006, 07:48 PM
She used to look like so

youngfisho
08-07-2006, 07:05 AM
dnej,

at what speed does it porpose. is it at wot or cruising speed? is the boat more stable with the full pod now on the back? either way it looks pretty good.

andrew

a_big_red_1
08-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Well what do you know, no leaks. They changed to prop from 17 inch, to 15 inch, so it would rev out more. Is that normally the way to go?

The boat tends to porpoise,even when #trimmed right in.
I feel it could be about one hole too high in the mounting.Would that cause that problem.
I will also need to move the batteries forward, in any case, and this may help.
Any suggestion?
Regards David
Hi David,well done on the boat, looks the goods now 8-)
i had that problem with the porpoise WOT, and i had to lift the motor up one hole, i also put a fin on and all is good now
cheers
Daz

dnej
08-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Starts at about cruising speed 30 kph, at about 3500 rpm. Could you explain the principle of how raising the motor ,stops the problem.

Previously, I had two pods on either side of my old motor,and that was very stable,so filling in right scross, making one extended transom, doesnt yet show any major fifference.
Once I have run in the motor, this may be able to be evaluated.
David