PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED, Tilt & trim not working Johnson

boat_1
08-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Just typical, i manage to arrange a day off tomorrow (Sunday). Start getting the boat ready, quick run of the engine & now the bl##dy tilt & trim has stopped working. I can hear a clicking noise near the unit, but it refuses to go up or down. Does anyone have any idea's. It's been four weeks since i had it out last, didn't have any probs with it. Are there any mobile guys who would be willing to have #a look?? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Acouple of pics of the unit attached,

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/tworana/Picture1805.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/tworana/Picture1806.jpg

Andrew.

Big_unit
08-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Not absolutely certain but it could be the Soleniods are stuffed or PTT pump - Armature or Brushes could also be stuffed, is a another possibilty.

Does your motor still crank ? If not it may simply be a flat / dead battery.

Cheers
James

boat_1
08-07-2006, 09:35 PM
James, Yes i had the motor running when i tried it. I can hear a clicking noise coming out off the unit when i press the switch, so i assume it is getting power.
I suppose i'll have to get an auto electrician to have a look at it next week.
Cheers,
Andrew. :( :(

Angla
09-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Do those units have a control box located somewhere, like under the transom. You could have a bad terminal within there.

The clicking could be a relay operating, that then switches a heavy electrical supply to the hydraulic pump. It sounds like the heavy electrical cable connections may need checking for corrosion or looseness of a terminal.

Search hard for where the clicking sound is coming from exactly. Follow the cable loom that comes off the hydraulic pump. (The one marked Johnson in the top picture)

Angla

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Several scenarios here

trim motor stuffed
no power to trim pump circuit
trim relay stuffed

you realy need someone familiar with these engines to diagnose

Garry

boat_1
09-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Garry, Just pulled the top of the trim motor, brushes seem to be ok, but the stator is very reluctant to turn. Fed direct power to the wires, but still no luck. May have to see if the trim motor can be repaired or seek a replacement. Will try to have a chat to Harry at Holt Marine & see what my options are. Thanks for the input.

Andrew.

flotsom
09-07-2006, 11:43 PM
there is a black plug in the 3 wires coming from the t&t motor, go direct to batter power and see if motor works, you can do this with the motor off the pump, wires at blue, green and black, black is earth and put either other colour to positive, if the motor then works you have a issue elsewhere, pm for step by step if you want to play yourself.