PDA

View Full Version : Cunninghams marine

shadow
08-05-2006, 06:02 PM
I am in the last stages of buying a new boat through cunninghams marine .I rang the sales man this morning to find out whats going on with it and he said he would get back to me .Still no courtesy call back yet. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences dealing with this mob before?

Shadow

shaman
08-05-2006, 06:57 PM
I feel for you matey!! refer my post re s'wood marine. I won't go into the dramas I experienced when buying my last tinny (not at cunninghams).
I went into at least 3 g/coast dealers to buy and I still can't believe the level of service that was on offer. I wouldn't employ any of the ratbags that I spoke to in any capacity. The absolute lack of product knowledge was only surpassed by their total arrogance and inability to qualify my needs!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

shadow
08-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Its a real shame.Somebody should tell theys poeple it costs nothing to be nice.

Shadow

falcon01
08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
I brought a little 3.75 cody from cunninghams marine and have had no problems, I work in retail and it gets busy some times and we people do forget sometimes we are all human and none of us are perfect

bundymal
08-05-2006, 08:05 PM
mate i emailed them phoned them about a boat no phone call or email back so the brissie boat show was coming up so they lost my business bought a boat from marinetune at burleigh heads alot cheaper and when the boat was ready phone call straight away .im the sought of person if didnt have any money outlaid for the boat would go somewhere else.

cheers
mal

shadow
08-05-2006, 08:15 PM
I havent had a problem with them yet and your probably right falcon01. I for one could not work in retail its bad enough putting up with my customers . I must admit they offered me a better deal then anybody else, some of the others #didnt even return my emails on price enquires.

# #Shadow

Fishin_Dan
08-05-2006, 09:33 PM
I will refrain from commenting on this place to save the moderators having to remove multiple pages of swearing and abuse....

That's all I will say about them. :-X

MIKOS
09-05-2006, 07:42 AM
I Bought my boat from them and their customer service was sh!t. :'(

I phoned them once a week over 6 weeks after waiting and each time I rang i was told that they would call me back and guess what they never did.

I have never gone back there as I get quality service from another marine dealership ;)

Mike

Jeremy
09-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Shadow,

if you are buying a new boat, have a good hard look back through these pages. There are some very good tips that will save you time and money and stuffing around. In short, don't pay the balance until you are 100% happy with the boat, because the service and care factor will get alot worse after they have been paid.

Jeremy

joeT
09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
mate i emailed them phoned them about a boat no phone call or email back so the brissie boat show was coming up so they lost my business bought a boat from marinetune at burleigh heads alot cheaper and when the boat was ready phone call straight away .im the sought of person if didnt have any money outlaid for the boat would go somewhere else. #

cheers
mal

I have bought boats from both Cunninghams Marine and Marine Tune.

Marine Tune? thumps up :)

Cunninghams Marine? :-X

peterreb
09-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I bought an Allycraft Bowrider from them. After puting my order in they told me it would be 8weeks delivery. If I had known this I wouldn't have placed the order. The customer service is crap, saying they'd ring back and keep me posted, none of this happened and it was only through my own enquiries to the manufacturer that I had a clearer picture of what was going on.The day the boat was ready was the only contact I had with them. DUMB mistake on my behalf by paying a huge deposit.
Have since sold the boat and bought another, not from cunninghams though.I had a really good look around, chewing the fat with some owners and gleaning infomation from this site. Eventually Custom Craft Marine at Caloundra got my bussiness and $42k to boot,but I cannot fault them with the level of service I received
I bought a TABS Teriotory Pro Centre Console with a 140hp 4str Johnson.
Cheers Peter

MIKOS
09-05-2006, 04:49 PM
I bought an Allycraft Bowrider from them. After puting my order in they told me it would be 8weeks delivery. If I had known this I wouldn't have placed the order. The customer service is crap, saying they'd ring back and keep me posted, none of this happened and it was only through my own enquiries to the manufacturer that I had a clearer picture of what was going on.The day the boat was ready was the only contact I had with them. DUMB mistake on my behalf by paying a huge deposit.
Have since sold the boat and bought another, not from cunninghams though.I had a really good look around, chewing the fat with some owners and gleaning infomation from this site. Eventually Custom Craft Marine at Caloundra got my bussiness and $42k to boot,but I cannot fault them with the level of service I received
I bought a TABS Teriotory Pro Centre Console with a 140hp 4str Johnson.
Cheers Peter

What you have said here is exactly what has happened to me.

Word to word.

I had to also contact the manifacturer.If I knew this before hand I would not have gone through all of the trouble.

Mike ;)

PinHead
09-05-2006, 04:58 PM
I am amazed at some of the problems that have been encountered in buying a boat..I must have been extremely lucky...did the deal on a handshake...was told delivery date by fax that evening..boat was only 2 days late and I was informed all the way.

shadow
09-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks folks I got a call from them today , the pore fella forgot yesterday .But surprise surprise the boat wont be delivered untill the end of the month due to manufatures, plus another couple of days to fit it out I hope.I have already waited over 6 weeks . The wait wouldn't worry me if they simply ring me and let me know whats going on . The thing that pissed me off was that I emailed them 2 weeks ago stating I know your busy but can you please let me know when my boat will be ready.They replied the day after again telling me they had spoken to allycraft and the boat would be deliever on the 5th of may and fitted out in 3 working days. I throught that was great.I rang the manufaturer today and found out they didnt ring at all ,or he would have known about the delay.Instead he lied to me and now I have to try and reorganize my holidays and everything else I have planned. He was nice on the phone but not even a apoligy or a offering to make me happy . Will let ya's all know what happens.

Shadow

BrandonH
10-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Sorry to add to this but a long time ago my dad went there for a deal on a tinny. Was told all sorts of things to get a sale >:( Wanted a 12 foota with a 3rd seat in the middle, wel they had them but what they did was bring the sides in to meet the incorrect length seat!! think looked totally wrong. anyways sale ended in a few loud words and a purchase from another mob.

Cheers
Brandon..

shadow
10-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Not many good reports for cunninghams . I hope Ive done the right thing dealing with them.

Shadow

indy
10-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Mate i wouldn't give them the time of day I had a 15hp mercury 2 stroke that wouldn't start and it was only 3 years old they ended up charging me $1800 for the repairs and at the time you could get a brand new one for $2300.

And when i got my boat home i found that they had reversed the trailer into something and had smashed the indicator light.

Never been back since and never will

I have found sundown to be pretty good.

barfly
10-05-2006, 08:13 PM
i have purchased two boats through cunninhams there service divison is what most of you say is shit. but on trying spinnaker at bribie (mercury)MADE CUNNIGHAMS look good.the sales divison is ok but remember they rely on your feedback if your not happy let them know ,i did and they gave me more respect .the saying the squeaky door gets the most oil certainly works . cheers barfly

Fishin_Dan
10-05-2006, 11:32 PM
the saying the squeaky door gets the most oil certainly works . cheers barfly

You would think so... But when they charge over $1500 to overhaul your motor which includes changing all the seals in the gearbox - And then you get it back, and not only is there 10m of fishing line behind the prop, but you have to drill the split pin out cause it's so rusted (I had just got the boat) - And then you get stranded in Moreton Bay with a motor that won't start!!!!

Mate - They will never get anything from me ever again!!!

rough_shag
11-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Had dealings with 'em earler in the year,walked in with $30k cash in my pocket and they treated me like a tyre kicker because I didn't have enough dollars to buy one of their dodgy looking badly maintained sad looking pre-owned boats.The guy I spoke to for a split second was more interested in getting his lunch down his throat than helping me out!.I ended up going all the way down to Wynnum Marine where I got great service,bought a great boat and was looked after post- sale as well.
Why would you spend your hard earned dollars with a bunch of a'holes who act as though it is a privelege for them to even speak to you?.Just out of interest another dealer-Northside Marine-were pretty bad too being all too happy to sell me a boat advertised with sounder and gps which it turned out didn't work,a completely rusted(orange!) steering arm and a reco outboard making some very suspect noises.Just to round off their crap lack of service and /or care they quoted me a price $2k dearer than the advertised price on their sales board saying that it was an old advert from last yrs boat show even though they'd only had the boat in their yard for a coupla weeks!!.
I reckon when it comes to boats especially used boats you have to be extra cautious and check with experienced boaties like the ones here on ausfish because there are plenty of scumbag salespeople out there who don't give a damn.By the way I am still waiting for Tweed Marine to call me back about a Haines 542f they had advertised,I called them 6 times about it and 7mths later still not a single call from them.
At least we have a forum here to let others know of our personal experiences so that they can hopefully avoid the bad ones who have no care or consideration for the aspiring boatie and his/her family.
Cheers! Jace.

shadow
11-05-2006, 04:58 PM
The more I read these bad reports , the more Iam starting to worry. Wondering if I should send some off the bad post to them to let them know what everybody thinks of there service.

Shadow

rough_shag
11-05-2006, 10:20 PM
I would definitely send 'em some of these posts mate although I suspect it would be a waste of time-hope you have a better experience with them after all even they could accidentally make a mistake and GET IT RIGHT!! ;D

Poseidon
12-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Must be something about boats, dealers and their limited understanding of how important customer service is. From a number of posts recently about service it should be clearly obvious that any dealer out there who goes that little bit further with feedback and keeping the customer informed will win everytime.

Perhaps some of the dealers need to remove the salesman from any customer contact immediately the deal is done, then involve someone in a support role to make the customers feel good, phone calls regarding deliveries, back them up with emails, and weekly feedback until the boat leaves the yard.

This little bit of extra work will pay off big $$$ in the long term.

It aint rocket science.

Regards Cameron

karrier
12-05-2006, 05:43 PM
I purchased a allycraft last year from them not to many problems except the salesman really didn't want to know me after the deposit was paid. I think if you are spending less than $15000 it is just pocket money for them. Their accessories I found are over priced and would do well to shop around for any add ons
Cheers Karrier

mjc85
12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey shadow interested to know what brand boat you bought through these guys ?

I am currently in the process of buying a boat through these guys, have paid deposit and it has now been 4 weeks since.

Boat is a trailcraft Profish 4.85 with 75hp Mercury 4 stroke, dual batteries, VHF radio, safety gear and installation of my own supplied sounder/chartplotter/electric motor.

All up it came to $34,500 and i have only paid the $1000 deposit so far. The told me it should be 5 weeks until they have the boat at their yard and then the fitout can begin. So hopefully the boat arrives there next wknd.

shadow
13-05-2006, 04:41 PM
mjc85 I have ordered a Allycraft 4.25 Shadow Mirage with a 40 Merc . Gps sounder and all the other gear from safety to live bait tank. I placed the order on the 25/03 and they now tell me it wont be ready untill early june. I had an older version of this boat with a 40 yamaha and could not fault it for what I used it for. Would have kept it a bit longer if I knew about the long wait . I had planned to take the boss out in the new boat camping for the weekend because it is our 1st wedding anniverary . I planned this because I was told I would get the boat on the 10/05 by an email two weeks earlier . Instead at 4.30 this morning I loaded the surfski , rod , plastics and backpack on the ute and went fishing by myself. Plus I have to go out for tea tonight and take her to the coffee club tomorrow, which would you prefer coffee club or camping ? I love her none the less.

Shadow

charleville
13-05-2006, 07:10 PM
... and i have only paid the $1000 deposit so far ...

I often wonder why pay a deposit at all. #I refused to pay a deposit on the last car that I bought and it was an interesting conversation with the dealer's salesperson.

I said that I did not want to pay a deposit because signing a contract to buy the car locked me in anyway so why should I pay a deposit?"

He replied, "Because that is how it is supposed to be done."

I replied, "Who says? #I don't want to do it that way."

So he goes off to see the sales manager and comes back saying that the sales manager agrees. So I did not pay a deposit but paid the whole sum in full with a #bank cheque when the car was ready for me. #[BTW, I did not pay the asking price for the car and neither did I bargain much. #I simply estimated what I thought the best price for the car should be and told them it was a take it or leave it offer.]

I cannot see any benefit to the customer in paying a deposit. #If they are late in delivering, you are stuck with fighting them if you want to cancel the order. #If however, you write a delivery time into the contract and they don't deliver on time, they will have failed to deliver on the contract. #Better for them to suffer pain rather than you as the customer.

Also, you have to understand the mindset of a salesperson. #They usually have sales targets that they need to meet and they can get a bit panicky around the end of the month if their numbers are below target so until you sign that bit of paper, you have tons of power. After you sign it, and especially if you have given a deposit, you are just last month's history to them. #(I should declare that I was a well experienced sales manager once or twice in my career myself.)

It is just a game but the power lives with the buyer until he parts with that deposit.

Good luck! #;)

joeT
13-05-2006, 09:44 PM
The deposit is needed in case the buyer backs out and the seller incurs costs which need to be recovered, eg. rego costs, getting a new boat in, etc.

However, the deposit should not be more than 10%.

bessie
14-05-2006, 11:45 AM
I personally would never leave my boat there on consignment . We went for a test run supposedly

where they always take people for test runs only to be run up on to a sand bank, at full throttle and

nearly got sent through the windscreen

had to wait for ages

for them to come with another boat to pull us off. If that wasn't bad enough the other boat also got

stuck not as bad as us though. Guess what they sent to dig us out with a spade with no handle great

stuff. The skeg thing had all the paint taken off and one could only imagine the sand that got

sucked up. We had almost made our mind up to buy it but not after that. The mechanics said she will

be okay. I bet that the man who had it on consignment never got told about it. They never even

bothered to call to see if we were okay or anything I was totally disgusted with them. Maybe they we

frightened we had hurt ourselves and would go further with it. :'( :'( I would never recomend them nor

go back This is my very first posting Bessie The boat was a Trailcraft 5.3 runabout with stainless steel

rocket launchers and a 90 hp 4 stroke which we thought was a good buy at the time.

shadow
14-05-2006, 03:55 PM
charleville I didnt pay a deposit . I agree with you if you sign a contract you shouldnt have to pay a deposit if you are buying a new boat. I didnt get a deliviery date on the contract , I was just told it would take six weeks. It is Allycraft the manufactures fault the boat is late but I am getting very impatient . In my eyes I am buying the boat though cunninghams so they are the ones who should be trying to keep me , the customer happy.I dont want to feel screwed over like many of the other people who have replied to this post.

Bessie, I am glad you didnt get hurt and I hope you got the boat and the deal you where after.

Shadow

charleville
14-05-2006, 06:56 PM
The deposit is needed in case the buyer backs out and the seller incurs costs which need to be recovered, eg. rego costs, getting a new boat in, etc.

I am not convinced. # You are saying that the buyer has to have skin in the game but the vendor doesn't.

A contract is a contract is a contract. #Any basic legal textbook will mention the three fundamental elements to a contract which fully obligate both parties. #The seller has the same opportunity as every other business person on the planet to seek legal recourse to have the contract consumated. #

Let me address the issue in another way. #What does the buyer actually get for putting up a deposit? #

In a sellers market, they should get some certainty of not getting gazumped especially in the absence of a #formal contract but in a competitive luxury goods market like recreational boating, and with a formal signed contract, I find it hard to believe that sales people are so flush with orders that they will insist on a deposit. #Certainly a deposit will not be required by law.

Maybe, I am just a hard B. #;) #Very lovable though. #At least, my cattle dog used to think so. #;D ;D ;D

charleville
14-05-2006, 06:58 PM
charleville I didnt pay a deposit . I agree with you if you sign a contract you shouldnt have to pay a deposit if you are buying a new boat.

Good man! ;D ;D ;D

shadow
17-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Another long week has past only a couple more to go. ( I HOPE )

Shadow

shadow
24-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Yet another week has past . Not long to go now.

Shadow

Ron173
24-05-2006, 07:33 PM
kin ell!!!

Its a wonder these guys are in business with the amount of unwelcome comments n dissatisfied customers here.

I'm waiting on mine, (not from cunninghams thankfully) all been good, cept today, rang dealer to find out if things progressed, sounded like he didnt have time of day for me, and said hed try ring up manufacturer later that afternoon. (delivery imminant, and I need info, serial nos etc to arrange insurance etc)

I wasnt too impressed.... TRY? Why cant he just do it!! I recall his attitude before the order placed....... somewhat different..... we WILL do this.... we WILL do that for you... etc.

Still this is first time hes not been good with me, so guess hes entitled to a bad day, will ring tomorrow and if same attitude he will be gettin a few choice words. (good bit over 30k purchase!)

Ron

hussy
25-05-2006, 01:24 PM
I HAVE BOUGHT 3 BOATS FROM CUNNINGHAMS , NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. WISH I COULD SAY THE SAME FOR SUNDOWN. HUSSY

mjc85
25-05-2006, 03:17 PM
I paid my deposit for my trailcraft through cunninghams on easter saturday, and i keep getting told its going to be longer until it arrives at their dealership.

FISHING_ROCKS
25-05-2006, 03:24 PM
I know a mate that has had it happen to him he waited for three years till he could get his boat! >:( >:( >:( >:(

tiny_tinny
27-05-2006, 03:52 PM
On a different tack, I had similar problems with delivery of a new car. #Up to the time I signed the contract, the sales staff couldn't do enough for me. #Once I had signed up and paid a deposit, they had better things to do. #I can only suggest that you need to be the squeakiest wheel, and phone often - keeping note of when you rang and what they told you. #Eventually I sent an email to the dealer's head office with a list of all the times I had phoned (they NEVER rang me), and what they said.

It may have been coincidence, but the car arrived the very next day. #The salesman was really pissed off with me when I arrived to pick the car up, but heh - you can't help bad luck.

Mike

familyman
27-05-2006, 07:52 PM
In the trade they call it retension.You withhold a contrcted sum from the provider and lo and behold ,when they want their money they will do as you say ;D
cheers jon

shadow
29-05-2006, 05:26 PM
SHES ARRIVED AT THE DEALERSHIP :) :) :) :) Hoping all goes well from here on in . Waiting now for the fitout , should be on the water by the weekend. Dont worry I will let the whole world know if they muck me around. Stay tuned.

Shadow

charleville
29-05-2006, 06:06 PM
SHES ARRIVED AT THE DEALERSHIP #:) :) :) :) Hoping all goes well from here on in . Waiting now for the fitout , should be on the water by the weekend. Dont worry I will let the whole world know if they muck me around. Stay tuned.

Shadow, I am sure that we are all hoping the best for you. #Good luck! #;)

Slow delivery of major purchases can be scary... A few years ago, I ordered a $9000 Natuzzi lounge suite from a major Gold Coast furniture shop. #It had to be made to my order and imported from Italy but the delivery date started to slip, first one month, then a second, then a third, all with different implausible reasons.

I was aware that that store had been advertising that they had 100 Natuzzis in stock (none of which suited us) and reasoned that they may have had a credit issue with Natuzzi who may not have wanted to ship out more product until they had been paid for the previoous orders.

So after the third slippage, I asked the store manager whether they had a cash flow problem that was stopping my order. #The answer was "no", of course but my lounge was shipped very soon after that discussion.

Within two months that furniture business, which also had a big Sydney store, closed down forever. #That was a dreadful shame as they were a great store. #I was very lucky on that occasion to not lose my deposit but would have done so a couple of months later obviously. #I think that was the last time that I ever put a deposit on anything.

So, the moral of the story relates to my earlier posts on this site about not being too keen to part with a deposit on a major purchase if a contract is in place, especially if it is a written contract. #It is a different matter in relation to building a house as funds are paid as progress payments, meaning that something real is delivered at each payment stage. #However on a boat or car, I still maintain that the seller needs to have skin in the game after the sale is made, not the buyer as if the delivery fails, the buyer is the one fighting to get his money back and gets nothing for it.

falcon01
29-05-2006, 08:06 PM
I brought a 3.75 from these guys and I have nothings but praise for these guys not only was fitted out on time but when I wanted it acouple of day early it was ready had no problems with service department bear In mind your dealing with mechanics(tradesman) not sales staff so their manner mite not be the best but how cares and no I dont work for them

ronnieandbill
30-05-2006, 04:22 PM
I just bought my boat from them and have nothing but praise for the young sales guy who has just been great. The service has been excellent and I've ended up with one nice outfit plus lots of extras as well.
Can't say the same for sundown marine--- maybe if we'd of had another 30k in our pockets someone there may of wanted to know us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

shadow
30-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Everything is going to plan. The sales man rang me today with all the info I needed to organize my insurance. That was a very nice surprise. I was already planning in my head what I was going to do if they didnt come to the party. If everything goes well which it looks like it will, me the wife and the dog will be on the water by the weekend.

Shadow

MIKOS
31-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I just bought my boat from them and have nothing but praise for the young sales guy who has just been great. The service has been excellent and I've ended up with one nice outfit plus lots of extras as well.
Can't say the same for sundown marine--- maybe if we'd of had another 30k in our pockets someone there may of wanted to know us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Maybe they have been reading these posts ;D

jack_attacks
31-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I am about to purchase a Trailcraft from them, so I have been following this post with interest.

Whilst I have not yet paid the deposit (and acknowledge post-deposit is the real test), I have found them to be very helpful so far.

I wanted a TC trailer, which they were willing to accomodate. I also had some options requested, including a few options not officially listed, which they are happy to arrange. They offered a water test this Saturday, and insisted we should use the same boat/motor as I am considering (to my pleasent surprise). The water test was also arranged by them at very short notice. Their price seems competitive also - so far so good...

shadow
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Everything is going great, I will be picking up the boat afterwork tomorrow. Only have two units to spray out then Im on my way. The sales guy has been really helpful since the boat arrived monday. He has rang me and kept me intouch with whats going on. I was a bit worried at the start dealing with these guys , but if the boat is ready when they tell me it is, I will know they are the real deal. I can only hope this thread helps future buyers choose which dealership to deal through.

Shadow

CamH
02-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Hopefully it's the boat you actually ordered Shadow. I bought a Trailcraft from them and they tried to sell me one that "has everything I ordered just a different colour stripe" - wrong, it had completely different specs to the one I ordered. The worst part was they tried to make me feel guilty about not buying the other one on the spot. They eventually got what I wanted a few weeks later. I did find speaking to the boss was more helpful (Ian Cunningham I think).

rojac
02-06-2006, 05:16 PM
There is always two sides to every story.

Today talking to a bloke and when I mentioned the dealer that I bought my boat from #@$%&*#@ was his reaction, biggest rsol under the sun, yet for me the guy was great 10/10 for customer service couldn't to more.

Go figure

cheers

rojac

jim_farrell
02-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Shadow, maybe they saw this thread a couple of weeks ago and picked up their act. Glad to hear all is well so far.
I used to work with the public and sorry to those who disagree, but if you can't be honest or even nice to the customer then you are in the wrong business. I don't even care if you are having a bad day. It's not my problem.

As far as deposits go, if you are looking at a boat out of the paper, I can understand leaving a deposit to hold it for you. However, if you are buying a new alley craft from an alley craft dealer the deposit is only to have control over you. If you were to change your mind, neither the dealer nor the manufacturer would be out of pocket as the boat is still in fit out and could easily be resold.
We all hope it goes well for you shadow.
Jim

Getout
02-06-2006, 06:13 PM
a deposit means the dealer can order more stock to replace the sold unit (even if it hasn't arrived yet) He also will not sell that unit to the next guy who comes along with cash up front.
I don't mind paying a 10% deposit to a reputable company to secure my purchase.
Fair's fair.

shadow
04-06-2006, 07:05 PM
We picked the new boat up friday atfternoon. The hand over went smoothly. The boat was deffinetly worth the wait. Only a couple of things I have to sort out with them. The live bait tank wont pick up water while we're motoring along , I might be doing some thing wrong but I tried everything I could. It will be something simple for sure. They forgot the 4L of oil I was surposed to get and I didn't think of it till I got home but I didn't get a spare tyre for the trailer. Just wondering if you can register a trailer with out a spare tyre? I think I should have got one , what do you think? Over all I'm just happy to have my boat and be on the water.

Shadow

joeT
04-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Good to hear it all went well.

You usually don't get a spare with a trailer, you have to buy it separately. You also don't need it to register.

charleville
04-06-2006, 09:54 PM
a deposit means the dealer can order more stock to replace the sold unit (even if it hasn't arrived yet) He also will not sell that unit to the next guy who comes along with cash up front.
I don't mind paying a 10% deposit to a reputable company to secure my purchase.
Fair's fair.

Nah - I disagree. #

1. #All businesses must have "working capital" allocated for such matters. #When the customer pays a deposit, he is just financing the dealer's working capital. #very generous of you to do that. #Would he lend you a few grand at no interest for a few weeks to help you with your mortage payments? #I don't think so.

2. #If the company is reputable and you have made a contract with them which locks you and the dealer in, the purchase is secure. #If they do not deliver as promised they are not reputable by definition.

If you don't practice consumer power, you deserve what you get.

charleville
04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
We picked the new boat up friday atfternoon. The hand over went smoothly.

Good on ya, Shadow. Glad to hear that all went well. :)

mjc85
05-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Still waiting on my boat, been waiting since Easter Saturday (15th April) so 7 weeks and counting.

jack_attacks
05-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Still waiting on my boat, been waiting since Easter Saturday (15th April) so 7 weeks and counting.

mjc - what is the hold up? have Cunninghams been in contact with you over the course of the wait to advise of status... :-/

I just ordered my 5.4 profish through them...they advised up to 10 weeks delivery time, but were going to try to push it through a little earlier... :-?
Matt

shadow
05-06-2006, 06:45 PM
I rang the sales guy today to ask him about the oil and the bait tank . He spoke to me about it but tried to palm me off to Ian Cunningham. I didn't ask for $50 dollars I just wanted some advice. I might be wrong but if I was a sales man and I sold a boat to a person on friday and he rang me the next monday, I would try and remember what type of boat and motor I sold him. When I buy my next one I will be more selective as to where I shop.

jack_attacks
05-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Shadow - which of the sales guys has been palming you off?
Matt

shadow
06-06-2006, 05:54 AM
His name is peter. Everything went pretty good but I just think he could have been a little pit more interested in the hole sale before and after. Mabye I wasn't spending enough money there , for them to be to worried about. After all of this I am very impressed with what I ended up with and thats all that matters I hope.

Shadow

cruiser42
08-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I have been reading the post about cunnighams and i think i am pretty lucky.I have just bought a allycraft 5.4 palm beach and i must say from start to finish i had no problems at all. Peter was my salesmen and he was very helpfull.We spent a while negotiating price and the end result was a motor up grade from the package to a 115 merc and epirb and bunk in fills.So every one was happy with the deal and it only took 4 days to be ready as the boat was in the yard, the hold up was the motor it had to be brought from the warehouse.It now has 10 hrs on the clock so running in is over. # Dave :)

Pacific
10-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Hi All,
I bought a boat from Cunninghams about 3 years ago. A new 4 mtr and trailer with a sounder and lights fitted. Called to see if it was ready...yep went to pick it up ,wrong plug on trailer.Not a big deal but to them it was a problem.they changed the plug grudingly.then I asked what holds the boat on the trailer ...... no strap.They said they could sell me one,I said you can give me one or I won't pay you .They gave me a strap, it lasted halfway to Sydney before it frayed.Never ever again will I buy anything from Cunninghams.

jack_attacks
20-06-2006, 02:04 PM
An update on my boat order - Cunninghams called me this morning and advised that my Trailcraft profish 5.4 will be ready in two weeks (about 2 weeks ahead of schedule :)). Also have advised that they will better the cheapest quote on the electronics I am planning on putting in - fantastic! ;)

My experience has been very positive thus far...will keep you updated on delivery and final fitout.

Thanks
Matt

shadow
21-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Good to hear matt, there is nothing better than driving home with a new rig on the back. My bait tank still doesnt pick up water but im not worried to much about it yet. My wife says to me you can fix all these little problems when you decide to get out of the f@#$ing boat.

Shadow

jack_attacks
21-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Good to hear matt, there is nothing better than driving home with a new rig on the back. My bait tank still doesnt pick up water but im not worried to much about it yet. My wife says to me you can fix all these little problems when you decide to get out of the f@#$ing boat.

# Shadow

Shadow - what exactly is the problem? Is it that the live bait tank doesn't fill when on planning? What solution have Cunningham's proposed for you?
Matt

shadow
22-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Playtime, the bait tank will only pick up water when I use the pump it want pick up water any other way. No solution has been offered by cunninghams. I have only spoke to them once about it and that was when I told my salesmen about it . If I throught it would help I would ring them again, but with what I have experienced so far it will only cause me more headpain.

Shadow

jack_attacks
09-07-2006, 04:22 AM
Ausfishers

I promised to give a report on the fitout of my boat from Cunninghams.

Overall, I was very happy. The boat arrived prior to expected (see previous posts) and fitout went well. The sales guys had no problem with me dealing directly with the guys in the fitout workshop and that really assisted in ensuring I got everything exactly where I wanted it.

Water test on Friday morning went well - few minor paint scratches noticed and will be detailed at 10 hour service. Saftey gear as agreed, good ground tackle included (didn't scimp) and friendly handover. Overall, I was very impressed by Cunninghams and would recommend. I do belive it a good idea to talk directly to the fitout guys rather than going through the salesman once the boat has arrived at the dealer - this helped me.

Now I am off to use it (note time is 4:20am!)...will post pics over coming days.

Happy new Trailcraft 5.4 profish owner ;D ;D ;D

Matt

grenadier
09-07-2006, 07:21 AM
when i bought my boat i went everywhere i mean everywhere i found the best people were at motorama marine and capalaba i live on the northside of brisbane and i went from the sunshine coast to the gold coast looking at boats weekend after weekend and they were the easiest people to deal with they actually listen to me about what i had to spend and what i wanted to do unfortunately they listened to my wife as well so i ended up wth a runabout ( to please the wife) but at least she let me get a boat ;D so if you haven't tried them go there mate

jim_likes_2_fish
10-07-2006, 12:49 AM
So here's my 2 cents, contacted Cunninghams by phone and by email a total of 4 times over 1 week. No response.
I was considering driving to the northside to see them.
After ringing around some other dealers for my new Polycraft I'm glade I didnt waste my time.
Full praise to Deano from Logan River Marine thanks to great service he got my $20,000.00 and I saved a few grand compared to what I was going to pay at Cunninghams.
Like I said just my 2 cents.
Logan River Marine :) :) ;)
Cunninghams >:( :( >:(