PDA

View Full Version : Safest Trailerable Boat?

Fafnir
12-07-2006, 12:11 PM
I was going through the latest Modern Fishing magazine when I came across an ad for Fisher Boats. The ad was focusing on how safe the boat made the owner feel in rough offshore conditions, and it got me thinking … what are the safest boats on the market?

Now we could of course simply say ‘the bigger they are, the safer they are’ (Titanic being an exception). So to narrow it down, I am curious as to which makes/models people feel are the safest in a trailerable boat that can be launched and retrieved by one person, two at most.

I personally have not done enough boating to give a considered answer to this question. And the couple of boats that I have owned have often had a very ‘unsafe’ feel about them (maybe due to the captains boating skills, or lack thereof?). I like the look of Stabicraft from a safety point of view, and also the Boston Whalers. I also like Fisher Boats, particularly Col’s paint jobs. But I would like to know what other members consider to be the safest boats for stability, unsinkability etc, etc.

So if you were fishing offshore, or out in the bay, and conditions took a turn for the worst, which trailerable boat would you feel most safe in?

Jeremy
12-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Now we could of course simply say ‘the bigger they are, the safer they are’ (Titanic being an exception). So to narrow it down, I am curious as to which makes/models people feel are the safest in a trailerable boat that can be launched and retrieved by one person, two at most.

Roy (spot_x) launches and retrieves his V19R by himself. Then it becomes more a question of what is the biggest boat you can launch by yourself?

For two people (how many people does it take to launch a boat....), you a simply back to the question of which is the biggest trailerable boat IMHO.

Jeremy

Fafnir
12-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Yes Jeremy, you make an excellent point. Of course only two people would ever be needed to launch or retrieve any trailerable boat, so I should narrow it down to a boat that can be launched and retrieve comfortably by one person.

Fafnir
12-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Then it becomes more a question of what is the biggest boat you can launch by yourself?

Well actually more of a question of 'Of all of the boats you could comfortably launch yourself, which do you feel are the safest?'.

Murks
12-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Fafnir,
My Formosa 480 is at best a two man boat when the canopy and clears are on,
it could be done comfortably by one man :-/in good conditions topless but when the wind blows >:( u would need to be careful
So I guess in my opinion the Formosa 480 wouldn't be the easiest boat to Launch by yourself in ALL conditions...great boat though ;D
All the best ,
Murks

Noelm
12-07-2006, 04:08 PM
size does not always more seaworthy, look at lifeboats deployed after a ship has gone guts up!! a lot of variables come into play, the skills of the skipper, has the boat still got power/sails, most boats with care and time (and enough fuel) will get home through most anything! example is the rubber duckies the surf clubs use, tiny yes but go out through breaking surf at looney speeds

seatime
12-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Fafnir,

for safety: I would agree with the Stabi-Craft and Boston Whaler choices, or any other similarly constructed hulls.
The sealed compartments, that can also be foam filled in the Stabi, and the double skin foam filled Bostons make these types of hull virtually unsinkable. That is a big safety feature of the hull.
You could add RIBs and IBs also, but mindful of the deflation possibility.
rgds

seatime
12-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Noelms example of a lifeboat is a good choice too. Lifeboats are also double skinned, and heavy, an older 5m open lifeboat can weigh 6 tonnes! The fully enclosed jobbies can weigh 10 tonne or more.

rando
12-07-2006, 05:03 PM
A good question to ask yourself (and others) might be "what features make a boat safe/safer"
Heres my two bobs worth.

1. Posatively bouyant when swamped.( I was going to say unsinkable , but I dont know if such exists)

2.Self righting

3. Alternate means of propultion.(I reacon every boat should have on board the means to rig a sail. It might not get you home today but it will get you home.

sorry if Ive hijacked the thread, its a good one

Feel free to add your thoughts

seatime
12-07-2006, 06:00 PM
rando,

A certificate of positive floatation will ensure upright buoyancy when swamped. That should make it unsinkable if the hull integrity isn't comprimised. As long as buoyancy is greater than the mass, even large enough broken pieces of a Boston Whaler should float.

To make a boat self righting I think you'll need flush decks, as on trailer sailers.

The old open lifeboats carried a mast, rigging and a sail, as standard safety equipment. We tried a few times during drills to get a lifeboat sailing, it's not easy, the small spars and sail that you can easily rig are generally insufficient. They can be sailed downwind successfully in 15+ kts, but any stronger and the rigging may not hold.

So there you have it; A flush deck Boston Whaler with a CPF, a dagger board and spars is the safest trailerable boat. ;)

cheers
Steve

finding_time
12-07-2006, 06:03 PM
my boat has a secondary means of returning to port it's called a epirb! ;)

rando
12-07-2006, 06:55 PM
I reacon modern tecnology has solved some of those problems Gelsec.
Wind surfer sails are super efficient and a big one would propel most trailer boats. #and a two /or three piece carbonfibre mast catrigged( no stays) would do the job.
Perhaps I should have said able to be righted, rather than self-righting.
As far as sailing goes if you are able to make 2 knots thats 48 nautical miles in a day . Im not talking about winning the americas cup just getting home somehow somewhere.
Finding time
Epirbs are great but what happens if you get rolled and the epirb floats away before #you can get yourself sorted.
The old time sailers had a credo of looking after yourself , yourself.
Its not a bad credo after all who is the person most concerned with your well being #
Sorry getting off topic , getting back to subject "whats safest".?

jim_farrell
12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
No comment on the safest, i think it is all about how safe the skipper is. Launchability I think is 90% about your trailer. I find retrieving can be the hardest on my own especially if the wind is up.

Angla
12-07-2006, 11:08 PM
I launch and retrieve a Cruise Craft 575 outsider SOLO. Drive on drive off trailer.

There are probably safer boats with more positive buoyancy but I think safety is in the captains hands.

Tow bar rating can be as low as 2200kg.

Angla

Gbanger
12-07-2006, 11:34 PM
positive floatation, good freeboard, twin outboards, self draining fully sealed decks... all add to a 'safe' boat..

kevlacat
13-07-2006, 02:12 AM
You would have to put the Cats in your top 10,
Drive on and off trailer,
Self-draining deck.
Twin independent motors, fuel tanks, batteries and electrics.
Perform exceptionally well for there size.
I regularly and safely take my 8 and 5 year old out in the Kevlacat, I couldn’t do it by myself in my old monohull.

Not trying to start the old Cat V's Mono debate JMHO

Regards

Steve

troy
13-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Fafnir,
I do not think there is such a thing as which is the safest trailerable boat.
I believe you should be looking at where you intend to use your boat and then look for a boat that will suit these conditions.
Troy

Fafnir
13-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. This is the first post I have actually started. It's great to be able to tap into so much knowledge.

I do think that some boats come off the factory floor with qualities that make them safer than others, such as being foam filled, and other methods of positive bouancy, such as the stabi-craft pontoons. Cats are of course an excellent suggestion too.

I believe you should be looking at where you intend to use your boat and then look for a boat that will suit these conditions.
Troy

This is an excellent point, but also part of the challenge. Whilst I might primarily look at using a boat around one location (Morton Bay), I would also possibly be wanting to use it elsewhere, which is of course one of the advantages of the boat being trailerable. Also, whilst I would often be fishing with one or two other people, I would also often want to go out by myself. Being able to launch, and more importantly as Flick mentioned, being able to retrieve it comfortably by myself is another consideration.

I also take on board everyones point about safety coming back to the skippers ability. But as with everything, that often comes with experience, and even being cautious starting out I have found myself in some tricky situations when the weather has turned quickly.

I believe that feeling safe is often a matter of confidence, in ones ability, and in ones equipment. I take onboard much of what has been mentioned here in terms of what to look for as safety features. I particularly like randos point about looking after yourself, yourself.

finding_time
13-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Rando

The reason i mention the epirb is it's a very good system that wasn't available to the old timers but has improved safety no end. What happens if you roll and your gerry rigged sail floats away. what happens if you go to use your gerry rigged sail and it rotten because its been wrapped up in the boat for years. Its a lot easier to carry an epirb and have it secured properly.

As far as the safest boats ? All boats have weakness and strengths some more than others but comfort, dryness, and freeboard should never be mistaken with safety.

Ian

ahoj
13-07-2006, 10:14 PM
All in all ---all boats are safe and unsinkable under a good skipper. Do tell me how many boats have sunk last year? boats will find difficulties under very rough conditions but the weather forecast now being relatively upto-date and the skipper has to act quickly at times.. so its all about being vigilant and following the forecasts... so There is no reason to discriminate about any model or desigh of any boat over 4.10 m This size i consider by me as the most minimum size to enter the open waters any distance from shore. and will also need to have sufficient power to handle rough conditions.. its all about common sense and cautious view...
Most misshaps happen not in the open seas but entering or crossing bar..There is where the skill of a good skipper will tell if you getting home wet or dry..... Enjoy your boating and be cautious and always read the weather. Boat design don't play that important role. Human oversight and neglect is the worse boat... especially if one is managing the boat with being XXXX turbo charged ;D ;D
Cheers Ahoj

BaysideMarine
13-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Pretty much every trailerable boat can be handled single man if the outfit is correctly set up. And a degree of attitude correction by the operator.... When you work alone you have to devise ways and means around situations.

I have single handedly launched and retrieved a Berty 25 flybridge on numerous occasions and all it takes is practice and thats all..... The biggest I have handled is a 34ft Mustang.

Twin engines make berthing and controlling any big boat a breeze.

Cheers,

Nicholas

Gbanger
13-07-2006, 11:30 PM
#As far as the safest boats ? All boats have weakness and strengths some more than others but comfort, dryness, and freeboard should never be mistaken with safety.

ian, dont reakon more freeboard can help prevent man overboard situations?