PDA

View Full Version : Bertram 25 - Just when you thought it was safe

gilbo
12-07-2006, 08:15 PM
To Get back in the water.

Woke up this morning feeling somewhat optimistic. Been waiting 4 months and was finally getting my boat back. The fact that the quote had blown out by 5500 wasn't even worrying me that much. I was finally going to be able to relax out on the water again. Driving across the hornibrook looking out it was dead flat and I was really looking forward to the trip from Scarborough to Shorncliffe and to its new home. Was really tempted to detour via moreton and tangalooma it was looking that good. But Hey better not, had taken the morning off and really needed to get back and catch up on work for the afternoon.

Well I arrive at the dealership and after some stuffing around and a few queries about the bill we finally agree on a price 1000 less, hey it was still above the quote by 4500 but they had done a fair bit of extra work, some requested, some determined to be needed and on the whole I was still happy, with the prospect of having a good reliable boat (hopefully).

So we settled the account, hooked it up and towed it down to scarborough for some last minute adjustments and a water test. By this time the old man was getting a little edgy as he had to be out by midday and we still had to get the trailer across to Shorncliffe and I had to drive the boat over and get it settled there. We put the boat in the water started up the engines, and the guys went to work adjusting the shift linkages and the carby mixtures and idling. All seems to be going ok but the old man is getting edgy in the back ground, so I ask the guys if they think we will need to take it back out of the water and they tell me everything is looking fine so I tell dad to go and just put the trailer over there, I would drive the boat over and just sit around on it and wait for him to finish what he needed to do, which would be about 4.30, who cares about work - it was a great day to be sitting around on the water. So he leaves, everything still seems to be going well until we take it out of the marina and out of the channel and really start to open it up. I engine great, 1 engine, knocking sound, wasn't audible earlier but now the engine is warm and under load we are hearing it. A few puzzling looks and a few choice words and we are heading back to the marina hoping for a simple solution to be found.

Alas no simple solution and am told I now need to get the boat back to the dealership as they are going to have to do some more investigation. Bear in mindd this is a 3.5 tonne boat that we really dont like towing any further than the hard stand. Anyway while this has all occurred the old man has got the trailer back to shorncliffe and headed out for the afternoon. Now I am stuck at Scarborough without a car or a trailer to get the boat back to the dealership.

Had to ring a mate, get him to pick me up, go back to my place, pick up the gear for the trailer, go to shorncliffe, take the outrigger guide poles back off the trailer that dad had already put back on, hook up the trailer and lights again, and get back to Scarborough. So by the time I get back there it was after 3.30 and wouldn't you know it, dead low tide, no way that boat is coming out of the water. So we site around for another 2 hours waiting for enough water over the ramp to enable us to get the boat out of the water, finally get in back on the trailer and back to the dealership just after 6.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not the day I was hoping for and now I am dreading what they can find to increase the bill by now.

Anyone want to buy a boat. Really good one (when it is running).

I think someone summed it up right on a previous post saying "Suck eggs" or something like that. I feel I must have upset a boating god in a big way in a previous life. Feel I have done my pennance now and then some so in my next life I must be due for one of those 29' Noosa cats like the one I saw come in and clean their catch while I was waiting for the tide.

So until the next installment of this saga - hope you are all enjoying the great weather and happy fishing.

Let me just end on a bit of a positive note. While I have not really been happy with the service I have received or the lack of updates over the last 4 months, I will say one of the mechanics that I have been talking to over the last few weeks and had to spend some time with today, was a breath of fresh air. If only everyone had the time for the customer you do Glen. If you are reading - Thanks. Also thanks to Dean for coming and helping me out today.

Cheers All

Shane

Az
12-07-2006, 08:54 PM
you poor bugger, i wouldn't be paying another cent mate till you take her for a test drive

lets hope they fix whatever it is under warranty

All the best
Az

Az
12-07-2006, 08:55 PM
oops... double post
:-[

Great_White
12-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad luck today Shane, :'( must be a warranty job :(

Had everything crossed for you today that things were going to go well. Here's hoping that it's nothing too serious. :)

Peter. ;)

BaysideMarine
12-07-2006, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't be concerned about dollars now Gilbo. If they have rebuilt both engines (allegedly) then the problem is theirs, not yours.

How were the oil pressures of both engines when the engines were warm? And the temps of both engines?

Cheers,

Nicholas

BaysideMarine
12-07-2006, 11:43 PM
By the way, did they happen to actually give you the compression readings? or just a verbal of no comp???

I sold a Berty 25 last year and the customer then became a good mate who I fish with regularly. I often drive the boat also and it cruises at 20 knots at 3200rpm also on freshly rebuilt engines.

Interesting how your "no compression" engine could still perform as well as a healthy engine.....

I'm not saying your repairer is one, but I cannot stand the high number of land based sharks in this industry.... Boats are dear enough without overcharging customers and doing work that is not warranted.

So how were your temps and oil pressures prior to the rebuilds too??

Cheers

shubeej
13-07-2006, 10:28 PM
hey gilbo, just a bit curious , what sort of motors & who is the repairer
thanks shubes

finding_time
14-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Gilbo

Mate look on the bright side one engine was fine !!!!Your 50% of the way there. ;D

Ian

Ps . Shane lets just hope this thread doesn't get to be the same lenght as the White ants in the Play-Pen thread