PDA

View Full Version : Canoe Fitout - Ideas

Fishin_Dan
11-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey all,

My canoe has finally been brought up into QLD, so will be getting it ready to get out onto the water til the boat is finished ::) Also gotta think of a name for it (It's a glass one)

Anyway, just curious as to what ideas people have for fitting out a canoe... The plans I am thinking of at the moment are:-

Electric Motor
Esky with aerator (To use as live bait tank or livewell depending on fishing)
Rod Holders
Cheap Sounder

Am curious if anyone else has any ideas... If you have any pics that would be great (I will post some when I get it from the Sunny Coast).

Lookout canals & creeks! ;D

StevenM
12-07-2006, 06:49 AM
Just bumping Dan so canoodle can give you his web site...had it before we killed the puter and had to purchase newbie....please post link again canoodle.

Is probably why you were asking about the electric before 2

Cheers

Steven

Archer
12-07-2006, 07:46 AM
http://www.akff.net/forum/

Should get some info from that Site dan....Thats the one Karls gunna give ya anyway. ;)

fishingjew
12-07-2006, 08:05 AM
heres one i just finished doing up

fishingjew
12-07-2006, 08:06 AM
pic 2

fishingjew
12-07-2006, 08:08 AM
pic 3

the motor bracket was made out of a t bar section of aluminium 75x200 with 25mm ply counter sunk and bolted on.

fishingjew
12-07-2006, 08:17 AM
pic 4

shayned
12-07-2006, 11:25 AM
How about an oxygen bottle and a dephibrilater! :D :D At least thats what I'd want.

Fishin_Dan
12-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Have posted on AKFF as well. But there are alot of users on here ;)

Shayne - I'd thought of that already! ;D That's why I'm considering an electric ;D Although the paddling will do me good!!! (Maybe I can get below that thresh-hold too ;))

shayned
12-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Early days yet my friend, theres always a chance of backsliding and renewing my membership with the 110 club. It's good to see you're up and running with the project though.

MagicRik
12-07-2006, 03:48 PM
fishing dan
Ive seen a great idea for kayaks and canoes
A guy had a Sound,GPS,electic motor, mobile phone and a load of other things all hooked up to his battary and had a flexible solor panel that was water proof on the front looked great and he said he never run off of charge

Rik

Canoedle
12-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Sorry guys, I don't usually watch this section as most topics pertain to stinky stink boats.
fishingjew, that's a pretty sweet looking canoe set up, I'd rather see a lekky on the back though. ;) 2 stroke = stinky. :P

lippa
12-07-2006, 08:22 PM
mind ya manners karl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D, how's about one of them new etec 200hp jobbies everyones ravin' about? ;) ;) ;) ;)

Canoedle
12-07-2006, 08:54 PM
;D

tiges
12-07-2006, 09:47 PM
One thing I did to my canoe was set up some rod holders for trolling. You see in one of fishingjew's pics the aluminium support bar that goes across in the middle of the canoe. I bolted on a length of PVC pipe, added those little elbows you can get on each end (the 45 deg ones are OK, but I've got the lower angled ones), and then 2 more little extensions of the PVC pipe again. Great for trolling as the rod tips are still nice and low to the water. Got wingnuts on the bolts so it's quick and easy to take on and off. Also usually attach my sounder screen on it, right in front of you as you paddle along. I should have a pic of it somewhere on file, I'll have a look.

Cheers
Tiges

tiges
12-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Here 'tis. This is with the 45 deg elbows, now have ones with less angle that keep the rod tip much lower.

Canoedle
12-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Nice one tiges, what lake is that? nice bass by the way. :)

Fishin_Dan
12-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Tiges. Thanks for that! Exactly what I'm after!
FishingJew - Spot on mate. Cheers.

The canoes here are a little different to the one I have though... Your's are all fully open whereas mine is partially enclosed. I haven't got photos yet, but this is a little like it http://www.australiscanoes.com.au/images/Large/bushgcf.jpg

Hopefully I will get a few pics this weekend at some stage...

Cheers,
Dan

fishingjew
12-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Dan

will be good to see some pics of canoe. Has it got float chambers front and back as the one in pics did,nt could just imagine what woud happen if filled with the 2hp on it. So had to put them in witch made a good platform for mounting outbord bracket. Old bracket was mounted on side made out of steel nice and rusty.sold it on saturday so i can sink that money into my bigger canoe. regards russell

ahoj
13-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Seen one of these at barumba dam---and was it fast with average size people and full eqipment has also dozen stubbies.. I asked these people if they ever wanted a bigger boat? what for was the answer hmmm

ahoj
13-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Fishingjew --- don't mind me saying but would the motor be better placed in the middle on the transom? canoe will definitely run better and faster could even experience some speed surfing -----

and another point throw that seat away it looks pretty but it will be in the way

Cheers Ahoj

shayned
13-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Any chance you could install Jenifer Hawkins as well.??

Craigus
13-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Any chance you could install Jenifer Hawkins as well.??

Possibly, but at serious extra costs! ::) :P

or as an alternative join the kayak club on canoedle's avatar ::)

Fishin_Dan
13-07-2006, 06:25 PM
or as an alternative join the kayak club on canoedle's avatar ::)

he he he - I saw that this arvo & cracked up! The scary thing is he rides a Sit-On-Top (SOT) kayak, so it would be all out there! :'( And from the reports Archer gave me, that's not a good site... ;D

The canoe is about 16ft, so is big enough. At the moment am going to stick to paddle power as I need the exercise ;D Will consider an electric though for fishing a few social bream comps. I'm hoping to pick it up on Saturday at this stage, but just have to wait and see...

Canoedle
13-07-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm sure my mate Jen would be right into that sort of thing, that cheeky little grin, gggrrrrrrrrr

fishingjew
13-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Fishingjew #--- don't mind me saying #but would the motor be better placed #in the middle on the transom? canoe #will definitely run better and faster could even experience some #speed surfing #-----

and another point throw that seat away it looks pretty #but it will be in the way

Cheers #Ahoj

Cant steer it on transom thats why they are all on the side unless you put in a center console with a steering wheel and cabels hmmm? nah not my problem eny more its on its way to bundaberg this weekend

Craigus
13-07-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm sure my mate Jen would be right into that sort of thing, that cheeky little grin, gggrrrrrrrrr :o

Wishful thinking Canoedle. #;D ;D

Canoedle
13-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Yep, I'm off to dream about it right now. :-*

Commodore
13-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Ok settle down you blokes… ;D :D ::)
Dan found this on the net and site attached FYI http://www.riverridgecustomcanoes.com/main.html
Looks interesting and like a lot of fun ;)
Cheers,
Chong

Commodore
13-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Nothing like stealth….

Craigus
13-07-2006, 10:11 PM
[smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=gorgeous.gif]

;D ;D ;D

Fishin_Dan
13-07-2006, 10:41 PM
It looks sweet dunnit!!! Although I don't know why the camoflage... It's not hard to spot it in the middle of the river surrounded by water ::)

I am still confused how you are meant to steer the electric though when it is mounted directly behind you... I have thought about the keyring controller for the bow mount motorguides & just mounting it on the back. Then clip the keyring onto your rod & control the canoe PS2 style ;D

But when it comes down to it, it all costs money that I don't have, and I need the exercise anyway... he he he

Commodore
13-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Dan could you adapt the same steering as they use on the surf skies??...foot pedals ;)
maybe the paint job cause they like fishing where no man has gone before.......and want to keep it that way :)

Fishin_Dan
13-07-2006, 10:55 PM
The electric motors that are transom mounted are operated by rotating the handle to select speed, forward, reverse, etc... Steering is an easy one to modify (cables & a steering wheel in a canoe baby! ;D) but can't think of how to do the handle control.... Unless I get the wiring diagram for the switch, and then I rewire the thing.... :D

Thanks Matt!!! >:( Now I've got all these thoughts of tricking up the motor to suit a Hotfoot "go" pedal and a small sports steering wheel.... ;D

Commodore
13-07-2006, 11:12 PM
more pedals man and dont forget the dice ;D ;D

fishingjew
14-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Like this one at back. Just reading a thred on a nother channel about a bloke who wants to put a briggs &stratton on back and propeller like the airboats ;D ;D stick shift

ahoj
14-07-2006, 07:21 PM
That green one looks similar to my cat-----

Ahoj

Gigantor
23-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Dan,

Ya still got the Prowler or what? Haven't seen ya around for a while either. Weren't you down south?

Cheers,

Pete