PDA

View Full Version : 115 merc starter probs

adamleah
14-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I havent had much luck this year with the boat ..Due to it sitting in the garage for most of the year , I have had to replace trim seals, tilt seals, water pump, steering , axle, brakes, rims/tyres and now I took it out last weekend and the bloody starter motor has died ..
""WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS ???""

Anyhow the starter motor solenoids clicking away and no go so guessing I need a new one .... so where can I get one, and what will it cost me ....

Merc 1989 115hp...

Anyone help me...

BaysideMarine
14-07-2006, 10:59 PM
First of all, letting a boat sit for any period of time will cause untold damage.....

It is most likely that your solenoid has died. Even though it will click if the contacts inside are corroded then it wont transfer current and the starter will not spin.

However, those starters were also prone to problems and were not interchangeable as they were permanent magnet pole setups. In fact very late 80's and early 90's Mercs had so many electrical issues (starters, switch boxes, stators) that Merc ended up having to offer extended electrical warranty to win back customers....... But they were still good engines.

Now, back to your problem..... Hook some jumper leads directly from your battery (or a known good battery) or even better from your running vehicle, directly to the starter motor. So neg to an exposed metal surface on the engine block and pos to the stud protruding from the side of the starter motor.

If your starter motor jumps to life and cranks the engine then the problem is not the starter motor and is either the starter solenoid or the battery cabling to the engine.

I reckon it will more than likely be a dodgy solenoid. Much cheaper than a dead starter, thats for sure.......

You can pull those solenoids apart and repair them, but pay $80 bucks from your nearest Merc dealer for a new one instead...(if its the problem)

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

dfox
14-07-2006, 11:59 PM
That'll teach you for fishing on my boat all the time adam, and not using yours, lol ;D ;D ;D