PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting allu tinny?

ahoj
17-07-2006, 09:47 AM
The paint is flaking and lifting inside and outside ---would sandblasting do a better job then sanding its only a 12 ft dehaviland and can someone tell me roughly the cost?

Taaa Ahoj

lippa
17-07-2006, 10:02 AM
sandblasting is the way to go. cost will depend on the type of paint thats on the tinny. enamel and laquer will come off pretty easy so i'd say about 300-400 hundred. two-pac is alot harder so add a couple more to the bill.

cheers

lippa

Roughasguts
17-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Sand blasting might be a bit harsh on light Ally, and pit the surface but sure it will work.

Bead blasting might be better.

You know for a hundred bucks you can buy a compressor, and another 65 bucks get a small sand blaster with various size tips then extend the hose stick that in a bucket of clean dry beach sand and your on your way.

Wear a mask though, the dust from sand is just as bad as asbestos.

Get both items at super cheap.

SunnyCoastMark
17-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Easiest way is to use paint stripper and a Gerni.(High pressure cleaner) Do a small section at a time, say 2 -3 square metres. Leave the stripper for about 15mins - Then the gerni peels the paint off easily. If you don't have one (Gerni) they are pretty cheap to hire. You can by imported cheaper models for around $99 - I"ve had one for about three years - used it heaps - still goes well.

Sandblasting (or Beadblasting) is good if you have a corrosion issue - it will clean those areas right up.

Mark