PDA

View Full Version : Trailer security

poss
16-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Just been reading the amount of stolen trailers at boat ramps has anyone got ideas on making it harder for these grubs >:( to get the trailer, I live in Mackay and have not heard of a lot trailers being stolen up this way but will be returning to Brissy next year.

#poss #

Spaniard_King
16-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Get a hitch helmet ;)

look here..http://www.clubmarine.com.au/internet/clubmarine.nsf/docs/MG16-6+Theft

they have all the answers

Garry

Tony_N
16-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Get a hitch helmet ;)

look here..http://www.clubmarine.com.au/internet/clubmarine.nsf/docs/MG16-6+Theft

they have all the answers

Garry

Looks like the Klamp It is club Marine's preferred deterrant. Is it possible for the @$$80!#s to take the whole wheel off and replace it with another?

Tony

Gbanger
16-07-2006, 05:18 PM
the klamp it cover the nuts too, extremely difficult to get around those things

tiny_tinny
16-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Possibly not as secure as other devices, but a hell of a lot cheaper - about $30 including the lock. You can use it to stop the trailer from being attached or to stop it from being released.

Mike

gunnabuild1
16-07-2006, 06:25 PM
I chain mine.Towbar to trailer the quality of the chain and lock is the issue,if the guy in the hardware store cuts it to length with boltcutters obviously so can anyone else.I bought my lock and chain about 20 years ago to chain up my bike abus granite brand can only be cut with hydraulic boltcutters.
In the end can only make it hard for em if they want it badly enough they'll take it.If nobody bought stuff that was stolen{hot, off the back of a truck, whatever you call it} There wouldn't be a market for the stuff they pinch.

barfly
16-07-2006, 06:34 PM
mate the insurance company needs to see forced entry on most things .so if something like the things we see above are smashed off we should be ok.i use one and find it ok but i just got a new set of wheels and the towbar is a hayman reece type with the removable tounge so you can see the proplem i dont want to drill out the pin and put a padlock on there as well .padlocks have a tendency of freezing up from road grime and sand any ideas .cheers barfly

timddo
16-07-2006, 06:59 PM
If ya don't want to loose your trailer, it's bettter not to have it at all. You can't loose, what you don't have. I just used a $30 lock for my trailer and honestly. i have one of the battery operated angle grinders. so i'm thinking it will only take say 20 sec to cut through my $30 lock. If they desperately want it. they will get it, even if they gotta steel the car.

cheers

barfly
16-07-2006, 07:06 PM
you scare me timddo i might have to get the deckie to ride shot gun in the carpark cheers barfly

Spaniard_King
16-07-2006, 07:06 PM
mate the insurance company needs to see forced entry on most things .so if something like the things we see above are smashed off we should be ok.i use one and find it ok but i just got a new set of wheels and the towbar is a hayman reece type with the removable tounge so you can see the proplem i dont want to drill out the pin and put a padlock on there as well .padlocks have a tendency of freezing up from road grime and sand any ideas .cheers barfly

Go to a 4x4 accessory outlet I think even super cheap have em and get a lockable pin for your tow hitch... $35 last time I looked and they seem to be a good deterent( havent been ripped off yet 8-))

Garry

Murks
16-07-2006, 10:58 PM
all good ideas, ;)
I always..well nearly always :-/lock thru my wheel and around the springs with chain covered in thick yellow rubber hose, the hose is nearly impossible to cut with bolt cutters ..very visible and is a deterent at best...If I can I will always look at reversing into the parking spot rather than driving in..it has too be safer...always an issue though...you just never know what people will do for money these days. >:(..
Murks

jimbo1
17-07-2006, 12:17 AM
I purchased one of these off of ebay. Absolutely brilliant and well made, I use it conjunction with the hitch lock when at the boat ramp. However for home security I go all out and use the alarm, Klampit wheel lock, hitch lock and concrete block with heavy duty cable and lock.

http://www.insight-security.com/ala-da5.htm

From memory cost me $300 with the postage from uk. if you cant find one on ebay I have the sellers details as he advised me if need be he could get more of this particular item.

James

Hornblower
17-07-2006, 04:55 AM
Yep guys, you can't stop them from taking it no matter what you do, all you can do is make it more atractive for them to go to the next trailer that isn't secured somehow. The Helmet hitch is an excellent product, problem is that it doesn't fit every trailer.

I now use the $30 job from Supa Cheap cause when I changed boats the Helmet Hitch didn't fit the new coupling, so if you are going to buy one, make sure it fits as it is a lot of money for something that doesn't fit.

On the plus side though, if the Helmet Hitch fits, they are about the best going due to the fact that they can be fitted to the vehicle and are also (I am led to beleive) rated in strength so that you can use it while towing and it will prevent the trailer jumping off the tow ball.

If anyone is in need of a Helmet Hitch, send me a PM, as mine is now no longer any good to me and an ausfish member may as well have it.

Cheers, ;)

tiny_tinny
17-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Sure, with an angle grinder or bolt cutters, a thief can steal just about anything that's locked or chained. But the way I figure it is that most thieves aren't that well prepared. And at home we have a couple of four-legged security guards - they won't let anyone they don't know into the place.

Anything that will make a noise or will slow them down will see them move to an easier target. Sorry if the easier target happens to be yours!!

Mike

PADDLES
17-07-2006, 01:38 PM
i've got guard pensioners next door and they miss nothing ............ absolutely nothing ;D

those hitch helmets are the go though, and that's a link to a top article too spaniard king.

what made the helmet not fit your hitch hornblower?

Juzo
17-07-2006, 03:26 PM
If I'm worried about my trailer being nicked, I reverse the trailer into the park and push it up against the kerb (if there is one!). with the presure that puts againts the coupling it'd be pretty hard to remove, let alone getting it out around the car ;)

Also helps that I've got a sh!t box trailer ;D

Hagar
17-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Something like a Hitch helmet is a very good start - but don't overlook these other steps .

1. Unless the tow tongue is locked onto the towbar it can be removed along with your security device still attached and put onto a vehicle with a similar towbar . Use a locking pin like Gary says or on flat tongue type hitches tack weld the heads of the two bolts so they can't be undone .

2. Most trailer hitches have similar bolt patterns . No problem to unbolt yours and leave it still attached to your vehicle with your security device locked on and simply bolt a replacement hitch on to your trailer and drive off . Solution ? Tack weld the four bolts so they cannot be undone or if the hitch is bolted to box sections and not through the whole drawbar then weld gal plates over the ends of the box sections so the nuts are not accessable .

3. Fit an immobiliser to your car if it does not have one .

Making yours difficult to knock off is a good incentive for them to look for something easier . >:(

BTW - no - I do not steal trailers for a living ;D but I did sit down one day and have a long hard think about how they could do it .

Chris

Roo
17-07-2006, 05:53 PM
be carefull using a lockable pin in a hayman reese type hitch receiver. if you read the fine print, most i've seen do not recommend use while towing. but it is easy to put it in once your at the ramp. Just don't leave it there as I think they're not load rated for towing.
I have a 10 metre length of 10mm stainless braided cable, plastic coated & loops in each end (masterlock brand from bunnings $50). I wind and thread it around the draw bar and back to the towbar and lock the 2 loops to the towbars chain loop. Was great untill i got a new car with a haymen reese hitch so now i have to get a locking pin too. :o :o

roo

gunna
18-07-2006, 03:36 PM
[

Looks like the Klamp It is club Marine's preferred deterrant. #Is it possible for the @$$80!#s to #take the whole wheel off and replace it with another?

Tony

I used a Klamp-It when I parked on the footpath at home. Some mongrel tried to get at the boat one night and in the process jammed the Klamp-it so I couldn't unlock it. Bit of a drama - till I let the tyre down then the thing simply slips off. Not too secure in that instance.

Tony_N
18-07-2006, 05:15 PM
I used a Klamp-It when I parked on the footpath at home. #Some mongrel tried to get at the boat one night and in the process jammed the Klamp-it so I couldn't unlock it. #Bit of a drama - till I let the tyre down then the thing simply slips off. #Not too secure in that instance.

:P bummer!