PDA

View Full Version : Little Outboards

Louis
14-07-2006, 07:38 AM
G'day All

I am looking to buy a new little outboard motor of around 4hp up, to be used as an auxiliary.

I think I would prefer a 2 stroke due to ease of maintenance etc. but would consider a 4 stroke.

Does anyone know of any good makes and models etc?

Many Thanks

Louis

whiteman
14-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Simply love my 6hp 4s Suzuki. Light weight and performs brilliantly.

KGW2
14-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Depends on what boat you want to use it on. For anything over 4.5m, you will need more horses (like 6hp). Over 5.5 you will need 9.9hp.
Long shaft is the best option. 2 strokes are more powerful, 4 strokes clean and quieter for trolling.
Make doesn't matter much these days on small motors, but the Honda would be arguably the best (and dearest).

Noelm
14-07-2006, 02:36 PM
not too fussed about little motors like less than 4HP but 6 and over seem to be all really good in any brand (if not too old)

Louis
14-07-2006, 10:27 PM
I have a 4.2 metre Cruisecraft Rogue which is quite a heavy boat for its size.

Do you think 4hp would be sufficent to push the boat home if the main motor fails.

Louis

seabug
15-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi Louis,
Might be allright in still water.

But I found that on a 15ft Nautiglass Cuddycab 6hp was not enough on open water.

I went to 15hp and connected both motors in tandem and it worked excellently.

A 15hp in a fixed position and using the main leg to steer gives too slow a response when turning.
Using the 15hp only and using the tiller steering left the bow too high to see properly.
Connected in tandem and using the main motors steering ,the boat will turn nearly in its own length.
The connection that I used had to be disconnected before the main leg was raised.
Regards
Seabug

Louis
16-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the advice fellas.

Louis

Louis
19-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Further to this thread.

I believe that there are a couple of air cooled small engines being made these days.

What is everyone's opinions on these?

Louis

ahoj
19-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Louis -- What primary motor have you got now? what ever it is and you desire an auxiliery motor 6 hp is ok and make sure its the same make as your primary as the petrol tank fittings will be the same and the patrol will always be fresh-- where as if you had an aux. motor with separate petrol tank and you would hardly use it your petrol may be out of date,, however if your primary motor runs out of fuel no aux. motor is going to help you..... remember this last sentence lo ;D ;D

Ahoj

seabug
19-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Really think 6hp is too small unless you are never going to encounter strong wind and/or strong current or both.
Regards
Seabug

Reef_Ranger
20-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Louis,

I have a Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke and use it for both by 3.4m tinny and as an auxiliary on my 18ft fibreglass boat.

I would reccomend these versatile little motors. 3.4m tinny planes with three adults and gear.

Pushes heavy fibreglass boat fully loaded at 5 knots. In lightship form 6knots. A nice fuel efficient troll at 3 knots. Better than running the 175 Yammy at idle.

A 4 stroke would probably be more fuel efficient, BUT requires greater maintenence and would weigh more. The 9.8hp only weighs 27kgs.

My 2cents.

Sam

Louis
20-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas

Louis

DALEPRICE
20-07-2006, 03:41 PM
i have a little 8hp honda 4 banga,
is a little rippa, bucketloads of torque and
great on the juice.
cheers dale