PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for motor servicing

linzmitch58
10-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Hi Guys,

I am new on the block after buying a 2nd hand bow runner. :)

It has a 150-hp Johnson (2002).

I would like to have the motor serviced. In particular I want the water flow checked out, and it is idling a bit rough. :-/

Can any of you suggest a company on the northside of Bris which does good work with Johnno's?

Thanks,

Lindsay

PADDLES
10-07-2006, 03:00 PM
there's plenty of guys around lindsay, i guess you've got to decide whether to get it done at home by a mobile fella or whether you want to get it to a workshop. i found it pretty convenient to use a mobile mechanic so i didn't have to mess around taking the boat anywhere before work. his name was wade weimers from over at redcliffe and i was very happy with his work. worked out at $250 plus parts for a service/tune.

linzmitch58
17-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks Paddles.

It seems that either A) not many people have good experiences for servicing their motors or B) if anyone makes a suggestion, they can be accused by some memebrs of have comercial interest/s in businesses (which I have now seen a few times on this site)

craigie
17-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Lindsay,

A very reputable company to take the Johno is Downes Marine. He's based at Albion/Bowen Hills.
He is the expert on OMC, Evinrude and Johno.

We use him all the time for our work motors.

Damm good and no I don't know him personally,

Cheers
Craigie.

linzmitch58
17-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks Craigie ... much appreciated. :)

Lindsay

HarryO
17-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Lindsay, and welcome.

Gotta agree with Craigie.

Alan at Downes Marine is a bit of a guru with Johnnos,
and he doesn't charge an arm and a leg either.

S_Bend
17-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Lindsay, I'm Brisbane northside too and I use a mobile mechanic - Gary's mobile marine services. Good bloke, knows what he is doing and doesn't charge a fortune. He's not a personal friend - he was recommended to me by another guy I know well and I stick to him now. Let me know if you want his number - don't call him next week though as he is doing some modifications to my boat (hmm. Need some ideas for this - might start a new post). ;)

linzmitch58
20-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Thank Jamaryiz,

I got the mobile number from another post you did. Thanks for the recommendation. ;)

Lindsay

shandos
21-07-2006, 08:07 AM
I agree with the guys above -- Alan Downes does a great job -- he services my evinrude 200 off shore for the last eight years or so -- always satisified - he used to race Johnos -- his kids still do

Paul