PDA

View Full Version : How do i identify my trailer wheel type?

wacco_fozzy
21-07-2006, 06:44 PM
I need a spare wheel for my trailer. How do I tell if the trialer has a Holden hub, Ford hub etc? The wheels themselves are ROH and have a number on them, is this an identifier that I could use to find a matching wheel?

Dave

ShaneJ
21-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Just measure the stud spacing. Ford is 5x114.3.

madmix
21-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Take a wheel off and take it to a tyre dealer

cheers Mick

Great_White
21-07-2006, 07:39 PM
All wheels usually have the sizes stamped on them, take to the wreckers or tyre shop.

Peter ;)

ahoj
21-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Fozzy you do have a problem ;D :D ;D :D

Ahoj

Mr__Bean
22-07-2006, 03:36 AM
The thread diameter of the wheel studs is different between Holden and Ford, I find this the quickest and easiest way to tell them apart.

The Holden hub runs 7/16 inch UNF nuts whilst the Ford hub runs 1/2 inch UNF nuts, and the size of the hex is different (bigger on FOrd pattern).

Do you have a Commodore or Falcon (etc) that you can compare the size of the wheel nuts with?

- Darren

wacco_fozzy
22-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Hmmmm, compare the sizes of my nuts you say?? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that, I don't know my neighbour THAT well.

Seriously, thanks for the info guys, it's a big help.

_RYAN_
22-07-2006, 08:44 AM
I get people coming in everyday to workout what type of rim they have, 99% of the time the are old holden stud pattern HK-T-G or VB-C commodore 4cyl will do the job. Or just mesure between the stud holes early holden is 5x100mm off memory.

SunnyCoastMark
22-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Hey Fozzy,
Production made trailers are usually Holden HT stud pattern.

5 stud 100 is not holden - it is a subaru or vw golf pattern.

100 designates the PCD or Pitch circle diameter - which is a cicle drawn through th centre of the stud pattern.

Hope that helps.

Mark

JohnWF
22-07-2006, 09:25 PM
A quick method on a five stud hub is to measure across two studs. #Early Holden will be close to 4 inch, Ford will be close to 4.25 inch, HQ holden will be close to 4.5 inch (commodore are very close to HQ but not exact). #This will work most of the time, the only trouble is with early Valiant which are close to early holden but not a fit. #In any case after purchase of spare always fit to trailer just in case you were sold the wrong size.

Big_Kev
23-07-2006, 11:43 AM
The wheel bearings are different between the ford and holden hub. Bearings have numbers on them. ;)
The alloy five spoke ROH Holden stud pattern usually have HT cast in letters about 10mm on the front face.
Hope this has helped. :o

SunnyCoastMark
23-07-2006, 10:08 PM
The wheel bearings are different between the ford and holden hub. Bearings have numbers on them. ;)
The alloy five spoke ROH Holden stud pattern usually have HT cast in letters about 10mm on the front face.
Hope this has helped. :o

Actually that is not correct. You can have Holden bearings in any hub that fits a 39 round or 40 square axle. ie you can have holden bearings in a ford hub, datsun hub, whatever.

The Ford "Slimline" Bearings are used in 45mm square or round axles (and some 50mm). Anything with 6 stud landcruiser hubs will have ford slimline bearings.

Mark

Roughasguts
24-07-2006, 10:02 AM
It should be easy Take your wheel off. Then cut out a peice of cardboard and place on the inside of your wheel. Then draw around the stud holes and hub with a texta, to out line the pattern.

Then compare that template with the wheels you look at.
You could spray paint the carboard as well but that would paint your rim so maybe thats not a good idea.

Or if your a bit lazy, cut out the cardboard and also cut out a hole for your hub. Then put some bearing blue or paint on the end of your studs.
That will mark the stud pattern and you don't need to take the wheel off.

aussiefool
25-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Sorry guys all your advice is great but the only way to find what type of wheel hub you have is to go around to the local wreckers and just buy any old tyre that looks someting like what you want and make sure that the bloke doesn't do exchange or refunds. that way when you get home and try to fit it to the trailer and find it's the wrong one you will know for certin that you should of gotten the other type ;D ;D ;D

DNO40
25-07-2006, 06:00 AM
Thats sound advice thanks Aussiefool, ........ love your sarcasm.

DNO