PDA

View Full Version : Self Draining Deck - One way only

steveg1100
30-04-2006, 11:20 AM
With a self draining deck does anyone find that water comes back in from the rear of the deck when you are stationary in larger swell. Was thinking of adding a flap at the rear of the cat to limit water comming back in. Has anyone done this?? Does it work??

MulletMan
30-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Completely normal to have water through them!

You can buy the nylon flaps and fittings from most marine outlets but you can also cut your own out of the stuff they make those white pvc breadboards from and being easy to cut, sand and drill you can make a good job of it. Allow a decent overlap all round and don't skimp on the size. Always use a stainless strip and screws to screw to the transom (not a tinny is it?). Use short screws to avoid going right through the transom and stacks of good quality silicone to seal them up anyway.

This is better than rubber as it is more rigid and if you edge the inside of the flap with adhesive foam rubber from any hardware shop, you will get a nice water tight seal.

What else you have to do is keep the flaps shut of course!

Springs never work as they rust out very quickly but by far the best is to attach a piece of thin but strong rope (venetian blind cord is great) to the inside bottem centre of the flap and then have a sailing boat cleat on either side of the transom - or wherever it is easy to reach - to hold the rope tight and the scuppers shut when not needed.

Not being a sailor myself , the cleat is one of those thingos where it has the serrated teeth that grip the rope firmly but most importantly are also a very quick release. They look very neat being of SS and pvc and do a top job. When you measure the rope, make sure you have enough left over so that when you release it, some of it will remain in the clean so you don't keep dropping it all the time! :'(

Assuming you have bungs in the boat, make it part of your launching checklist (I know you have one!) to CLOSE the scuppers to keep the boat dry as you launch.

Once on the PLANE open the scuppers and CLOSE them at rest!

Sounds a bit tedious I know but the above system is very simple to make and operate and on a couple of rescue boats I used to mess about on, worked like a charm!

steveg1100
30-04-2006, 12:01 PM
THank you for the info.

I was hopping that the flap would work without being tied shut. ie The water pressure comming back in to the boat holds it shut.

Grunter71
30-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Steve

Our cat has a rubber flap screwed to the top of the scupper.

Allows water to flow out, and stops most of the water getting in from swell etc. Not all though, as it doesn't make a perfect seal.

The rubber is about 2mm thick. Not sure where or what sort of rubber though, it was on the boat when we bought it.

Grand_Marlin
30-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Have a look at the Ron Grant scuppers from WA.

They are aluminium, are available white powder coated and are a "cam over" stainless locking spring that keeps the scupper shut. #They will open easily with any water pressure on them from the inside ... you can also poke them open with your foot or a gaff handle if need be.
They are available 170 x 115mm or 235 x 145mm ... about $130 - $150 a set.

I will be putting them on my 7m sharkcat.

Cheers

Pete

steveg1100
30-04-2006, 12:27 PM
That rubber flap sounds very simple should be able to rig something up with just a few bucks.

sjp
01-05-2006, 07:21 AM
simple ,cheap and works 100%,considering they are below the waterline half the time

Daniel_Trenfield
01-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Self draining hulls are great if you monitor them.

not much good if your boat is moored for long periods.

Mates sportfish sank after debris jammed open scuppers & current rushed in & filled up the cabin.

Whoops....

vermin
01-05-2006, 09:27 AM
simple ,cheap and works 100%,considering they are below the waterline half the time

SJP, I didn't realize they came in that size. Did they come with your boat or did you buy them separately? If so, where?

I don't reckon debris will worry those ?!?! :)

Geoff.

steveg1100
01-05-2006, 03:47 PM
THe boat is not moored is on a trailer. So is only in the water when i am on it. Should not be a problem as far as sinking if the flap gets stuck. I will probably notice if it starts going down on me.

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

Happy boating to you all. :)

sjp
09-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Geoff any canvas ,canopy maker who has a vinyl welding machine can make them ,they have got to be welded flat on both sides ,cannot be folded over and just welded on one side,also used the h/duty ripstop vinyl,about 400mm long,for the scuppers 50 mm pipe was used ,you can go any size you want within reason

Megatop
10-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Does anyone know where to get that rubber matting for the cockpit floor - the type you see behind bars in hotels. I understand there are a couple of types, one more expensive than the other. The one that I have seen on someones boat was the ribbed type. Apparently great for the floor when on fishing trips. Just swap it with the carpet at will.

Blackened
10-05-2006, 09:14 AM
G'day Megatop
for the rubber flooring... try clark rubber.
Dave

lucylass
10-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Try Grippa rubber do a google search and there is a company there that manufactures it

fishgove
21-07-2006, 12:23 PM

I'm new to this chat thing...

SJP's scupper set up looks very interesting - how do they work? How effective are they?

My rubber flap setup lets too much water in, so I'm after a different setup for my scuppers...

Glind
21-07-2006, 02:21 PM
I use the scupper socks like SJP and they work a treat. Mine are more of a arrow shape and they work by allowing water to flow out and not in beacause the sock will close in on itself, sorty of a 1 way valve. Mine are radiator clamped on to the pipe that comes from the self draining deck.
The scupper sock is basically 2 pieces of flat truck tarp material, stiched together at the sides, open at both ends, with the end going to attach to the boat the size of the outlet pipe and the open end larger, so they are flat allowing water to only run 1 way.
Have also done away with the flap type scuppers on another boat because it was alawys getting water in when fising standing in the aft corners and replaced with the scupper socks. And guess what, no wet feet now for over 2 years. They are the go, are inexpensive and work properly.
Tim

fishgove
21-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Tim_N - cool, thanks for that... certainly looks like a bit of a different way to do it...
I'll give it a go and see how it goes...

a_big_red_1
25-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Have a look at the Ron Grant scuppers from WA.

They are aluminium, are available white powder coated and are a "cam over" stainless locking spring that keeps the scupper shut. #They will open easily with any water pressure on them from the inside ... you can also poke them open with your foot or a gaff handle if need be.
They are available 170 x 115mm or 235 x 145mm ... about $130 - $150 a set.

I will be putting them on my 7m sharkcat.

Cheers

Pete

hi Pete, thats the ones i have on my tinny, they work a treat ;)

Daz

Dirtysanchez
25-07-2006, 02:17 PM
BIAS have a version available that is similar to SJPs I think the concept came from the life saver rubber duckies, well I have seen them used on the ducks at least.

They aren't too dear from Bias and the concept is they screw into the standard bung thread I believe