PDA

View Full Version : bar crossing course

Seahorse
23-07-2006, 07:36 PM
somewhere i read or heard that there is a corse available for bar crossing and u use ur own boat. i think this is very important and can anyone let me know.

cheers
greg

longtail
23-07-2006, 08:21 PM
hi greg when you find out let me know , because i don't see the point in learning to cross a bar in a 6+ metre glass boat when i have a 4.8 metre tinnie. totally different handling , and a big difference in weight.

Jason.

Seahorse
23-07-2006, 08:47 PM
jason, i believe they take u out in ur own boat, i think. iam buying a 4.89, but just think it would be good learning.

greg

Grand_Marlin
23-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi Seahorse & Longtail,

Bill Corten is the man to see. 0417 717 841

The course is absolutely brilliant.

Bill takes you out (group of four) in his 625 Cruisecraft.

If you think that doing the course in this boat has no relevance to owning a 4.8m tinny, then think again 'cos you are dead wrong.

All the theory and skills learned relate to any and every boat.

Bill teaches you all there is to know about bars ... how to read them ... has you literally playing in them ... and you come away with an excellent understanding of what it is all about.
Bill will literally have you doing things with the boat that you would never have even dreamed on attempting.

I have been boating for years, consider myself quite experienced, and I still learned a heap off of Bill.

Probably one of the best skills you will learn is when to go home and dont try to cross. Very relevant for smaller boats.

Bill's Cruisecraft is built to survey, is foam filled and has self draining decks ... all for your safety. Trust me when I say, you are far better off learning in a bar capable boat like Bill's and then applying the knowledge you have learned to your own boat.

Cheers

Pete

Hookem_Herby
23-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi Seahorse & Longtail,

Bill Corten is the man to see. 0417 717 841

The course is absolutely brilliant.

Bill takes you out (group of four) in his 625 Cruisecraft.

If you think that doing the course in this boat has no relevance to owning a 4.8m tinny, then think again 'cos you are dead wrong.

All the theory and skills learned relate to any and every boat.

Bill teaches you all there is to know about bars ... how to read them ... has you literally playing in them ... and you come away with an excellent understanding of what it is all about.
Bill will literally have you doing things with the boat that you would never have even dreamed on attempting.

I have been boating for years, consider myself quite experienced, and I still learned a heap off of Bill.

Probably one of the best skills you will learn is when to go home and dont try to cross. # Very relevant for smaller boats.

Bill's Cruisecraft is built to survey, is foam filled and has self draining decks ... all for your safety. # #Trust me when I say, you are far better off learning in a bar capable boat like Bill's and then applying the knowledge you have learned to your own boat.

Cheers

Pete

Makes a LOT of sense Pete and I for one will pull my finger out and give Bill a call soon to book in for a w.e. course. From what I've heard the bar crossing course is worth every cent and even old seadogs tend to learn a thing or two. :o ::) :P

Cheers,
Herby

Grand_Marlin
24-07-2006, 02:38 PM
G'day Herby,

I personally think the course should be mandatory ... it really is that good.

It seems expensive ($370 ea) ... but once you have done it, you would agree it is worth double that for the experience you get.

If more people did this course, I am sure there would be next to no accidents on the bars.

Also, Bill's Wife makes the best morning teas and lunches ;)

Cheers

Pete

longtail
24-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Pete , i mean no offence to either you or Bill but i would rather learn how to cross a bar i my boat. after all it is the boat that i will be using the day after the course.

i think a man of your experience will aggree that there is a big difference between a 6.25 fibreglass boat ( around 1.5t) and a 4.8 alloy 1/2 cab ( around 800kg)

Just my opinion

Jason.

Reefmaster
24-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Longtail i think your missing the point. I can understand what your saying but at the end of the day if you can learn and understand bar's in the manner Bill can teach you then you will be comfortable in crossing bar's in any boat. Being in a different boat won't help you read a bar crossing any better during that important moment.

Regards,
Greg

Dignity
24-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Jason, liability insurance would come into play and your vessel would have to be in survey which is why you have to use Bill's boat. Will cost you significantly more if you had to undertake these 2 items - suspect well into the 4 figure mark.

sam

Seahorse
24-07-2006, 05:36 PM
thanks pete. it makes sense. its all about reading bars i guess. i have no experience at this at all and every bit counts. how long is the course. i assume its 1 day but what times? $370 is bit steep. is that per head.

cheers
greg

Heath
24-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Be a brave man to jump in another fellas boat and then teach them how to cross a bar in it I reckon :-?

Grand_Marlin
24-07-2006, 05:53 PM
G'day Longtail,

I know where you are coming from, but please just take it as gospel that you will get more out of the day by being on Bill's boat ... it is 95% knowing what to look for and how to execute your crossings .... and 5% about what boat you are in.

What you are saying is similar to saying "I will only get my car licence in a Mini, as I would never drive a Commodore"

Sounds a bit silly, but the logic is the same - once you learn the rules it doesnt matter what car you drive ... same with bar crossings - once you learn the rules it doesnt matter what boat you are in (within reason obviously)

G'day Reefmaster,
Well put mate - as a person who crosses bars regularly, you know exactly what you are talking about.

G'day Seahorse,
$370 does seem steep (I thought exactly the same thing)
I can absolutely assure you that it is worth every cent ... the only way you will find out for sure is to do the course.
I personally guarantee that once you have done it, you will sing Bills praises, just as I have done.
I have never ever been on such a well organised course, with a teacher such as Bill who can just teach anything to anyone.
He is nothing short of brilliant.

There is another post on here, started by dnej, who organised the course I went on.

This will give you a lot more insight into what will be learned on the day.

Cheers

Pete

Camo
24-07-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm still waiting to do my course with Bill. First week the weather was to good, not enough swell. The following week it was too rainy. I've rescheduled to the first weekend in August.

At least you know Bill is on the up and up. He could have taken me out on the first weekend and I wouldn't have had the experience that I should have, but he still would have had his money. He was more interested in making sure I got my monies worth, and learned the skills I need. Can't ask for much more than that. Bloody lousy good weather. >:(

Camo

skippa
24-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah top course,

I was lucky, the day we did it the weather was lousy and the swell was pumping. I honestly thought we wouldn't be going, but when Bill arrived his first words to me where ... Great day for it eh ;)

I've never been out in worse conditions, but at no point did I feel unsafe. Best course I've done in a boat, well worth the money.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

Seahorse
24-07-2006, 06:15 PM
hey pete, where do i find the post started by dnej

cheers
greg

Grand_Marlin
24-07-2006, 06:49 PM
There ya go seahorse, I bumped it up for you.

It is called "Corten Course - brilliant experience"

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1151744573

Cheers
Pete

Seahorse
25-07-2006, 05:47 PM
thanks pete. i do intend doing it. just save up the dollars.