PDA

View Full Version : water in tinnie(bung is in haha)

gutzy
25-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Noticed a bit of water in tinnie after about 2hrs fishing.
Have a sponge but was too much for it to handle.
Inspected hull no prob , stripped boat to look for corrosion , old sinkers etc.. none
I will be purchasing a pump to be on safe side but does anyone else have any thoughts wher the water is coming from.

Jeremy
25-07-2006, 11:05 AM
put the bungs back in on the trailer and fill it up with water and look for leaks. Could be the seals around the bungs, bolt holes on outboard, any holes for sounder or other fittings, Hopefully not pin holes or a cracked seam.

Jeremy

esselte
25-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Same thing happened to me and it turned out to be a poorly sealed bung. Found it by filling boat with water. Hope this helps

Tinn
25-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Do as Jeremy said fill it with water on the trailer and have a look for leaks. It may take some time for you to find it if it is a small pin hole

Roughasguts
25-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Put some plumbers thread tape around the bung, y'a need to wrap it around a couple of times but that makes sure the bung don't leak.

tiny_tinny
25-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Gidday gutzy,

I am not sure about using thread-seal tape on the bung - it shouldn't be needed. The seal is not made in the thread, it is done by a plastic washer under the cap of the bung. You might try replacing the bungs - they are only a few bucks each.

You could try putting some water in the boat while it is on the trailer and look for a leak, but definitely don't fill it up. Remember that 1 cubic metre of water (1,000 litres) weighs a tonne!

Best of luck,

Mike

Dirtysanchez
25-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Make sure you don't use a hose to fill your boat if you live in SE QLD :D

I imagine filling a tinny with water using a bucket would take quite a while

A bilge pump is always good to have in the bum of yer boat anyways.

My tinny leaked like this too and after changing bungs every 3 months I ended up npt worrying because the amount of water just wasn't worth the worry

F1SH_BOY
25-07-2006, 03:37 PM
its happened to my old tinny aloooot of times i got so enoyed but figured out its jst the water passing over when travelling :-[

F1SH_BOY
25-07-2006, 03:39 PM
its happened to my old tinny aloooot of times i got so enoyed but figured out its jst the water passing over when travelling :-[

grunter_boy
25-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Gutzy,

I had the same sort of issue a while back and found it to be a hairline crack in one of the bung washers. I replaced the washer and the boat is now dry as a bone. It's amazing how much water can get in though such a small crack.

GB

gutzy
25-07-2006, 08:10 PM
thanx for the great info gents!!!!
I will replace the bung this weekend and also fill the tinny just a little to be on the safe side.
Jeez it just shows how helpful this site can be. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanx again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D