PDA

View Full Version : Removing Steering Wheel

Volcano
25-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I have the Teleflex Safe-T steering installed on my boat, and am trying like all hell to get the steering wheel off the shaft. Does not seem to want to budge. I've got the nut and washer off fine, but thats as far as I can go. It just seems to be "stuck".
How in the &*#@ do I get this thing off?

Streetkid
25-07-2006, 07:34 PM
If its anything like a car steering wheel you should be able to use a steering wheel puller. If it is it will have at least two little threaded holes either side of where it fits on the spline.

HarryO
25-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Hi Volcano.

I guess that its a plastic steering wheel.

You'll need another person to help with this.

Put the nut back on the shaft so that the top of
the shaft is level with the top of the nut.

Then get a block of wood, (a 6 inch piece of 4x2)
hold it against the shaft, and, while the other bloke
is pulling like hell on the steering wheel, hit the block
of wood with a hammer as hard as you can.

It will usually take a good half a dozen or so hits,
and it will pop off.

Done this many times...

Harry.

dicko1980
25-07-2006, 07:51 PM
I just done this today. The trick is to back the nut right off so it nearly all the way loosened to the end of the shaft. Now you need to put a heap of pressure on the steering wheel by putting your weight behind and pulling back, sometimes you need to get your legs behind it also. Now with weight behind the steering wheel give the nut a really good hit with a ball pein hammer. You made need to give it a couple of hits to free the wheel. The steering wheel shaft has a taper, this is why it is difficult to be remove. Just remember to grease the shaft before putting the wheel back on.

Cheers
Dicko :D

banshee
25-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Put the nut half on,get someone to pull back on the wheel evenly and give the top of the nut a couple of sharp taps (not to hard),that's how the local mechanic told me how to get mine off.This method didn't work for me on a two year old boat because apparently the installer didn't use anti sieze on the taper,I had to use a puller that ended up marking up the back of the wheel slightly.

Hagar
25-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Deleted my post - same as others .

Volcano
25-07-2006, 08:50 PM
You people are ABSOLUTE champions!
A chunk o' 2x4, a nervous mate, me with a big hammer and its off the steering pin!
Hooray!
Lookout Hydraulic steering, here I come!
hahaha
;D
Thanks again people. I had no idea getting a steering wheel off would be so difficult! lol.

ttone
25-07-2006, 08:57 PM
[I just done this today. The trick is to back the nut right off so it nearly all the way loosened to the end of the shaft. Now you need to put a heap of pressure on the steering wheel by putting your weight behind and pulling back, sometimes you need to get your legs behind it also. Now with weight behind the steering wheel give the nut a really good hit with a ball pein hammer. You made need to give it a couple of hits to free the wheel.]

Hi Mate, please be careful how far you back the nut off the tread, ususally level with the thread is enough, that way when you hit it with the hammer, you wont ruin the thread on the nut etc.
Cheers and good luck with it.
ttone

Animal
21-08-2009, 09:02 PM
I know this is an old thread, but had problem roving the wheel on my new boat to get a jig saw down beside the boss to fit the Autopilot head.

The info here did the job! Thanks guys.