PDA

View Full Version : LED TRailer Lights

Heath
24-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Trailer lights would have to be the one thing that pisses me off to no end. No sooner do you fix them up, you discover that something aint working right.

After the lights on our trailer gradually degrading to the point where we only had 1 brake light working, no blinkers, no parkers & 1 clearance light I decided to get ride of the "submersible" (laughing ,myself stupid) incandescant globe lights, which I tried every trick in the book to keep opertaing and replaced them with a set of LED.

I researched long and hard the LED lights on the market and glad I did. There are many varieties out there at the moment and if you don't research them, IMO you could get caught out bigtime.

Hella LED's were out of the question at over $160 a side. So I did some hunting around and found 3 contenders.
The first lot looked the part, however they employed a gasket setup for the lense. we all know how good lights with gaskets work "submersible..LOL" they also had a rubber gromet setup on the rear for the wiring. Thats gunna last about 12 months max!
The 2nd ones were fully sealed as well, however they emplyed a plug setup on the rear for the wire to connect. The plug had a rubber grommet & that was also going to last about 12 months before you got probs IMO.

The 3rd set were right on the money.
Individual lights, so if you cracked one you could just replace the one & no need for the whole set. The rear of the light was potted in reson. So it offered a true 100% waterproof setup. I got a set & installed them over the weekend & am very impressed with their look and opertaion. Installation was a breeze as well. I used reson filled heat shrink for all connections to give a truely "submersible" connection for all wiring.

Next job is to replace all the marker lights as they are stuffed. I can't beleive the crap trailer manufacturers put on their trailers as far as lights go. The markers are nothing short of garbage, so they will be replaced with LED later in the year. Just left the old wiring in place to run them until replacement. That was an eye opener when tidying up the wiring for them. Bit of electical tape over a crimp connector.... covered it with liquid electroical tape for the short term, until replacement.
At least my main concern, the rear lights are working fine!

I've attached a pic of the lights I used. Cost me $130.00 for the pair & if they perform as good as they look, I'll be a happy chappy.

Heath
24-07-2006, 06:22 PM
fghgfdgdgfd

Cheech
24-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Good timing Heath. My left has gone and have been considering my replacement options. Were they local to the coast or Brisvagas?

Cheech

Heath
24-07-2006, 06:47 PM
yeah mate, Beenleigh.

Active Fabrications

Heath
24-07-2006, 06:52 PM
First ones I found with O rings on the lenses & silly rubber things on the rear for the wire connections. Why bother?

Heath
24-07-2006, 06:53 PM
front view

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Heath,

Very topical - my kids broke one of mine in the garage over the holidays and its current more electrical tape than light.

Individual lights, so if you cracked one you could just replace the one & no need for the whole set. The rear of the light was potted in reson. ...

does this mean you can buy an indicator lens as seperate (for example) should you crack one?

and

is the back of the lens behind the circuit board filled with resin ?

chris

a_big_red_1
24-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Trailer lights would have to be the one thing that pisses me off to no end. No sooner do you fix them up, you discover that something aint working right.

After the lights on our trailer gradually degrading to the point where we only had 1 brake light working, no blinkers, no parkers & 1 clearance light I decided to get ride of the "submersible" (laughing ,myself stupid) incandescant globe lights, which I tried every trick in the book to keep opertaing and replaced them with a set of LED.

I researched long and hard the LED lights on the market and glad I did. There are many varieties out there at the moment and if you don't research them, IMO you could get caught out bigtime.

Hella LED's were out of the question at over $160 a side. So I did some hunting around and found 3 contenders.
The first lot looked the part, however they employed a gasket setup for the lense. we all know how good lights with gaskets work "submersible..LOL" they also had a rubber gromet setup on the rear for the wiring. Thats gunna last about 12 months max!
The 2nd ones were fully sealed as well, however they emplyed a plug setup on the rear for the wire to connect. The plug had a rubber grommet & that was also going to last about 12 months before you got probs IMO.

Individual lights, so if you cracked one you could just replace the one & no need for the whole set. The rear of the light was potted in reson. So it offered a true 100% waterproof setup. I got a set & installed them over the weekend & am very impressed with their look and opertaion. Installation was a breeze as well. I used reson filled heat shrink for all connections to give a truely "submersible" connection for all wiring.

Next job is to replace all the marker lights as they are stuffed. I can't beleive the crap trailer manufacturers put on their trailers as far as lights go. The markers are nothing short of garbage, so they will be replaced with LED later in the year. Just left the old wiring in place to run them until replacement. That was an eye opener when tidying up the wiring for them. Bit of electical tape over a crimp connector.... covered it with liquid electroical tape for the short term, until replacement.
At least my main concern, the rear lights are working fine!

I've attached a pic of the lights I used. Cost me $130.00 for the pair & if they perform as good as they look, I'll be a happy chappy.
Hi Heath, thats looks like a simmular lights i have, but the wireing was also included with the lights so there was no joins to the LED, i think i paid $180 for the pair thou
Daz

Heath
24-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Chris, Yes & Yes.

See first pic's, if you look closely you can see the reson.

Heath
24-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Daz,
These had about 30cm of wire from the light. If you connect the wires properly and use the right protection on the wiring, there will be no problems.

bungie
24-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Just remember you need lighting on your Licence plate too

Spaniard_King
24-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Just remember you need lighting on your Licence plate too

Only if ya get caught :-X

Blackened
24-07-2006, 10:59 PM
G'day
Heath I have the same lights. I got mine from auto elec parts supplies at slacks creek. By memory they were $45 a side.
Dave

Fat_Chilli
24-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Bought a set of LED trailer lights last week from Springwood Marine for $95 (for both) they have 5 LEDs built in to illuminate the Rego plate. Very happy with them.

Don't ya hate it when you can't remember your password, your PC is down so I had to register again... >:(

steve_n
25-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the info Heath, my trailer lights have started to give me problems as well.
Your tips are as very handy and much appreciated. I bought a dyneema winch rope on your recommendation and it's great.

Steve

a_big_red_1
25-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Daz,
These had about 30cm of wire from the light. If you connect the wires properly and use the right protection on the wiring, there will be no problems.
yep no worries mate ;), do you use the resin fill heatshrink?
Daz

Spaniard_King
25-07-2006, 07:12 AM
G'day
# # Heath I have the same lights. I got mine from auto elec parts supplies at slacks creek. By memory they were $45 a side.
Dave
;D :o

Dirtysanchez
25-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi Heath, what dimensions are they please ? and could you give me the contact number for the supplier you got them from ?

Many thanks

Russ

Heath
25-07-2006, 07:17 PM
G'day
Heath I have the same lights. I got mine from auto elec parts supplies at slacks creek. By memory they were $45 a side.
Dave

If they are the same ones, I doubt they were $45.00 a side. Whole sale price is more than that........., but if they are $45 a side, let me know, I'll go down & load up.

Heath
25-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Russ
Dimensions are 190x100x28

Active Fabrications 0738076666

Dignity
25-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Heath, had a look at a few previously and was disappointed, good research.

Dave, is that the one at the end of Moss street on the corner of the service road?

sam

StevenM
25-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Heath they look the goods and at the right price.

Did Active also sell the heat shrink??

Cheers

Steven

Blackened
25-07-2006, 08:44 PM
G'day
Heath, i'll double check the branding of mine. Dignity yes, that is the one, they are opposite jax by memory?
Dave

Blackened
26-07-2006, 10:15 AM
G'day
The brand of mine are www.ledautolamps.com and are the 80BAR model. I dug up the bill and they were more like the price you paid. Well, at least people have a good site with price referances to check out now.
Dave

Heath
26-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi Yo,

No Active fab didn't sell me the reson heat shrink. Got that from an electrical place next to Whitworths in southport.

Only ever use reson filled heat shrink on the boat.

Heath
26-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Yep, there the ones Dave.

Joe_N
26-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Got the same lights as Heath from Caloundra Outboards about Five months ago. Cost was $63-50 each light plus $22-75 for the number plate light. Up to now very happy with them.
Joe N

Dirtysanchez
26-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Thank you for your help Heath

Russ
:D

capt
26-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Hey Heath..... brought a bigger, new trailer from a well known manufacturer 6 mths ago to handle the extra weight created by a new Donk . I'm on my 3rd set of LED lights plus 1 new loom , all fitted by myself. They said that they got a bad batch . They replaced all bits for nix. Once these stuff up I'm back to the light board..... never had a problem before ! JIMMY

Cheech
26-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Learn something new every day. I did not know there were different heatshrinks, let alone resin filled heat shrink. Something extra for the shopping list.

Heath
26-07-2006, 07:32 PM
These are the other type that I found but discounted straight away. Would you beleive that these ones employ a plug on the rear, where the wires plug in!

Spaniard_King
26-07-2006, 07:47 PM
These are the other type that I found but discounted straight away. Would you beleive that these ones employ a plug on the rear, where the wires plug in!

hey Jim they look like the ones you got :o :o :o.. better get the light board ready ;D ;D ;D ;D

capt
26-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Very observant Gary........... Your right ! Jimmy

Heath
26-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Thought they may have been the ones you had Jim :P