PDA

View Full Version : New borns and boats!

scott_b
27-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Gday
# #Can anyone give me some advise on taking the new young fella boating ,safety wise with PFD's. I would like to take him and mum out to the local dam safely and legally.I wouldn't go on a bad day but we all know how unpredictable the weather can be.
# # # # # # #Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks wamjam

youngfisho
27-07-2006, 10:03 PM
how new is newborn? are we talking 4 weeks old or what. I would be concerned with pollution and health risks if you are running a dirty two stroke, also the sun factor can be harmful for little babies as well. so a cabin or bimini top would be important. PDF is definitly a good idea but they dont make em that small (to my knowledge anyway). I would be waiting until the child is older around the two year mark at least hell be able to walk and talk and will fit a personal floating jacket. He might also be able to tell you whether he is feeling unwell or not.

andrew

timddo
27-07-2006, 10:31 PM
i have a 6 month daughter and have taken her out a few times.

you don't need a lifejacket for infants,= i mean under 1 years of age.
but over you do. Make sure they have protection. don't take them out in an open dingy.. i have a runabout but brought a little kids tent and she stayed in their.

Roughasguts
27-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Mate with a young one that is sleeping a fair bit. Just watch those carbon monoxide fumes in the cabin and down low on the floor.
Those fumes are more dangerous than you think.

But if the baby's in the mothers arms or yours in the fresh air that should take care of that.

PADDLES
28-07-2006, 08:50 AM
i waited 9 months but that was more my wifes decision as to when she was comfortable with it all. a few mates have been the same. it doesn't matter what the law says, always have them in a lifejacket with a crotch strap. would ya ever be the same again if your little one fell over the side and sank like a rock? mine squarks a bit at the motor noise at first and then falls asleep, but once we get bubba onto the beach at moreton she is happy as a pig in poo.

scott_b
28-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Gday
Young fella's three and half months old . Fumes shouldn't be a problem I'll be using an electric. Thought there might have been some sort of PFD's for baby's.
When he's two years old I'll be more worried about pulling lures out of his hands or where ever else he gets them stuck.
A mate told me to tie milk bottle to him , that didn't go down to well with mum.
Thanks wamjam

Stumpthumpa
28-07-2006, 04:21 PM
I guess the cod clock is ticking down to closed season too Wamjam, so more incentive to get on the water?
Goodluck securing the little fella.

Roughasguts
28-07-2006, 04:24 PM
You know not that I have tried it, but they reckon babys hold there breath and then float on there back, when there thrown in the water. Breath normally after that and are pretty relaxed about the whole thing.

ANYFISH
28-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Gday Wamjam
I have been waiting to see a post like this from you ;D ;D

I reckon if you put a little life jacket on him, his mum will let him go out. ;)

Three and a half months old ey. That shold give you about 2 and a half months before he is out-fishing ya on the cod with them lures.

A big cod and the young fella will make a good piccy for his 21st.

Cheers Anyfish

scott_b
28-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Gday anyfish
Don't think he needs that long to out fish me !!!
wamjam

scott_b
28-07-2006, 08:52 PM
gday Stumpthumpa
The cod clock is always counting mate but work seems to wind it foward.
Roughasguts mate I told the missus what you said !! she doesn't seem to agree !!.
anyway thanks wamjam

S_Bend
28-07-2006, 11:09 PM
I bought my new boat a few months back and have only taken my boys (3 1/2 and 14 mths) out once so far. My older boy was pretty good but youngest was a bit of a handful. He's walking now which in some respects makes it all that bit harder. Haven't tried as newborns as I always worry about the going overboard. Went to calm water up at Donnybrook and have a 6m boat so they do have a bit of room.

I would have to say everyone makes their own decisions and I probably would have taken my boys out earlier if I had the boat at that time. It's all about the extra responsibility that you would have with them out on the water. Shade, PFD's and never taking your eyes off them would be my biggest issues (I have since organised a t-top now for my boat to keep them out of the sun).

By the way, I got the PFD's from a friend which they had for their kids. I haven't yet been out to shop for new ones as I haven't planned on taking the boys out again just yet but will do so in the next couple of weeks. Let us know how you go with the extra small sizes as I have a very bad feeling I am being roped in for child no.3.

I have had both of my boys in swimming lessons since they were 3 months old (always around water) and neither of them floated that way. They did hold their breath and look around underwater but stayed on their stomach with their head down. Not sure what most other kids would do here - was too busy keeping an eye on mine whilst they were with their Mum in the swimming class.

Will try and put in a couple of pics that show the real reason for having them out there. Good luck with the family. Hope they outfish you in the years to come...

S_Bend
28-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Too small to keep but isn't this the main reason we love our fishing???

markpeta
29-07-2006, 05:23 AM
You might be a top skipper and weather might be tops but the only thing that would worry me is the other idiots on the water. On the dam how do people behave eg passing boats etc.

Mark