PDA

View Full Version : SOUTHERN STAR 590WR or SOUTHERN STAR 600SF

stavy9
29-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi currently looking at the following 2 boats.
Has anyone got any info on southern star boats, ride, stability and all the other staff please let me know.

skippa
29-07-2006, 08:26 PM
G'Day Stavy,

Mate nice looking boats the Southern Stars. I have the earlier Southwind SR17. They still use the same hulls I believe, just different decks and fitouts now.

The finish on the Southwinds are beautiful with a lot of nice extras and modern lines for their time. A good DeepVee hull gives a soft ride but they are still beamy enough to be reasonably stable at rest. I've got a 115hp which is big enough to do the job without breaking the bank.

We use ours for bay and offshore work and she has never let us down. I had a Haines before this girl, which was a damn fine boat but I won't be going back thats for sure.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

stavy9
29-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Tony thanks for the reply i currently have a soft spot for the 590wr but i dont know much about them.
It has 23deg hull which is prety deep so it should be a really good ride but i dont know about stability.

Alex9797
29-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Hey Stavy,

like skippa said :). The boats that have the 23 deg hulls are based on a kiwi hull. I think that they were called tristrams or something like that. The walk round and the sportsman are based on these moulds. I think :-/ maybe :-[ perhaps I should just go back to the rugby and another glass of red.

cheers

Alex