PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with this set up

troy
26-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I have a 625 cruise craft with a 912 power winch.
I have bought this up before stating that the winch is very slow and takes about 10 minutes to winch the boat compared with 3 minutes in the manual.
Cable wiring is 6 ml and came with winch.
Talked to the Auto Electrician today and he said the boat might be too big for the wicnh yet it states it will single line pull boats up to 30 ft.
I mentioned if the wiring was not heavy enough and he was unsure.
When you hook the boat on and before the winch takes any load the speed is the same as when under load.
Any thoughs would be appreciated.
Thanks
Troy

peterbo3
27-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Troy,
The Power Winch site rates the capacity of the 912 at 11500 lbs (5000+ kg).Have you tried backing off the friction plate a bit & running the winch without load? Are the wires getting hot? Are your trailer rollers set up right & not jamming? Have you tried heavy (400 amps) jumper leads to the terminals on the winch?
If you have tried everything suggested then take it back to the dealer.

the_bomber
27-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Troy I had the same powerwinch and used it 3 times. The winch was pretty slow and didn't handle the weight of my cruisecraft at all well. Drive on trailer is the way to go. I have swapped to a heavy duty hand winch and still yet to use it. It would be quicker than the powerwinch which is a maintenance issue in itself.

Heath
27-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Troy

the winch should pull your boat up in around 3 mins.

take it back to where you bought it.

I have a 712 on my cruise craft using double line pulley & it pulls it up in a few minutes.

troy
28-07-2006, 05:23 AM
Heath
Do you think the wiring is heavy enough.
If i send it back it has to go all the way to Cairns.
Troy

troy
28-07-2006, 05:28 AM
Also another possibility is that the way they have set the trailer up it does not sit on or touch the keel rollers.
It is a redco sportsmans trailer and the dealer said if you have the boat on the keel rollers the boat is all over the place when winching it up.
Troy

Heath
28-07-2006, 09:33 AM
find that hard to believe, unless they havn't set the trailer up properly

Troy, just cut to the chase. Use a set of jumper leads and connect from the battery to the winch. see if it makes a difference. If not send it back. If it does, then you know the wiring is too light.

I run 16mm from my battery to an anderson plug in the back of the jackaroo. From there I have a short lead to the winch.

When trialling the winch, I used twin core flex wire used for normal 240V lights from the battery to the winch & it was too light. It got very warm and affected the winches performance.

griz066
28-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Troy the boat MUST sit and be supported by the keel rollers this is an absolute MUST the side rollers are only for support to stop the all over the place your dealer is talk about. Maybe they have not set it up right

troy
28-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Grizzoo6,
This set up with my trailer has been discussed before and a fellow Ausfish member has his set up the same way.
I cannot recall who it was but i have spoke to the dealer about it and they said they set all boats like mine up this way.
I do not know if they are right but the trailer has heaps of multi rollers and double ones from about half way back.
Troy

Dirtysanchez
28-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi mate, your trailer set up sounds dodgy to me !!

All you can do is try a few of these things. I think heavier duty cable for the power supply to the winch would be a good idea, and then also try dropping your keel onto the keel rollers and see if that helps

I think it will !!

Angla
28-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Troy, 1. Do you have a single line pull or a double line pulley like Heath has?

2. Change the wiring to 16mm!

If you have these two things, It should fix the problem.

You could try the double pulley first and see the difference and then to help the motor more, change to the 16mm cable. Just one more question...what battery is it running from. Please give us the ratings on the battery.

Angla

griz066
28-07-2006, 05:53 PM
I am sorry Troy but that is most definately wrong, I also have a Redco Sportsman, a smaller boat granted, but the boat MUST have weight on the keel rollers. I am not commenting on the winch problem only the fact that you thought the boat trailer mignt not be set up right, and I think that it is NOT. All the multi rollers do is support.

HarryO
28-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey Troy, and all.

Before we all get confused,
alloy boats MUST have keel rollers.

With 'glass boats, it depends on the design of the boat.

Notice that the CruiseCraft factory recommended trailers
at Wynnum Marine don't have keel rollers.

The (7 year?) warranty on the hull apparently does not
apply if you don't buy/use that trailer. #

Harry.

troy
28-07-2006, 07:28 PM
My trailer has only 4 keel rollers that start about mid section on the trailer.
Angla it is wired from my navara battery to the back of the navara but the wiring is only 6 mls.
Troy

Alex9797
28-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Yar right Harry.

My 575 Outsider trailer doesn't have keel rollers. It makes it a lot easier to drive on (not as much to hit :)). I have spoken to the guys down at horizon shores who know a thing or two about launching boats ( at least I hope they do ::) ) and they believe that this is the best set up for my boat.

sorry I can't offer any advice on the winch Troy.

cheers

Alex

Fishin_Dan
28-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Troy - 6mm is way too thin for the wiring! (It's almost speaker wire :P)

Try the jumper cables direct (Heave Duty ones!) to a battery & the winch. You will probably find that will run properly then.

Angla
29-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Mine doesn't have keel rollers either and its a Cruise Craft 575 outsider.

I would forget the keel roller idea!

The Navara would come with different batteries depending on wether it was petrol or diesel. What ratings are on your battery.

The simplest way is just to get heavy cabling...16mm...and try that.

Angla

Dignity
29-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Troy, time to get another auto mechanic - 6mm is way to small, the voltage drop over about 5 - 6 metres would be far too great. As an indicator of what you need check out the circuit breaker that came with the unit you will probably find that it is a 60amp.

Peterbo3 - I have a 912 and on the front it says single line pull 3500 lbs, double line pull 6000lbs. Mine would be about 15 years old so they must have made huge improvements since then.

Heath, what exactly is a double line pull, although mine is connected up I haven't used the winch yet as I drive the boat on although one day may have to use it as some ramps are shockers at low tide and have had a bit of trouble recently when I can't get the trailer in far enough.

sam

Heath
29-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Double line pull is where you use a pulley on the bow eye. So basically the rope goes to the boat & then back again. Doubles the winch time, but halves the load.

Dignity
30-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks Heath - no manual came with mine

sam