PDA

View Full Version : Elec outboard for a lightweight tinny - opinions?

Forrester
26-07-2006, 09:30 PM
I would appreciate advice regarding use of a minn kota or similar on a lightweight tinny about 8ft long, about 35 kg for my wife to use,(who is not a young person anymore) #in preference to an outboard which she would have difficulty in starting if not an electric start. #For comparison, the max size in a suitable ordinary outboard would be about 3.3hp. It is just to puttter around Deception bay at high tide where there are virtually no waves. Probably two people max in the boat. Is one unit/brand any more suitable than another?
Thanks for your input
Dicky Nee :-/

blaze
26-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi
I just purchased a 30 pound thrust "minn kota endura" fresh water model, only cost $250. I reckon you would want the equivilent saltwater job. The only problem I have is trying to work out the size of battery as there is no info on the bloody power consumption. the dingy I have is 12 foot ali to be used in my local dam.
cheers
blaze

wardypig
27-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Blaze,

The Minn Kotas all use about 1amp per pound of thrust according to their manuals. This means that if you use the thing flat out everywhere you go then you will chew 30amps per hour. Hope that helps. FYI I use a 75amp/hr battery for my 55pound Minn Kota and it lasts easily all day just pottering around.

Forrester,

Electrics are excellent for getting about with minimal fuss but they are slow and also need charging at the end of the day. If you have a good battery supply and remember to charge the thing then they are fantastic.

Regards,
Wardy.

BrandonH
27-07-2006, 06:16 PM
good info guys ;) I think the 30 would do you ok, the only real difference between the fresh and salt water versions (other than colour :P) is the nut. its also an anode in the salt water versions ;) I use a 40 salt on my 12 foota with 120amp batterys. if i am pushing it around a lot in bad current i can sometimes run it out in 4 hours but i also run the sounder from it. I would probablly go a 40 now i am thinknig about it as the tide would run resionablly fast in D bay wouldn't it? only ever fished there once and can't remember :-/

Cheers
Brandon...

thunnus
27-07-2006, 06:26 PM
The difference between the endura (freshwater) and riptide (saltwater) is not just the prop nut anode.

The riptide also has epoxy sealed boards so they wont corrode, a larger motor casing in the water to dispense heat therefore run more efficiently and don’t forget the step up from 2 to 3 year warranty.

In the larger models (55lb and above) they also contain maximiser which will give you even more time out on the water with a single battery.

30lb endura will do you nicely but if you do want to step up a riptide the smallest available is 40lb.

cheers, Justin

Forrester
31-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks to all who took the time to reply, much appreciated. I now have something to work from.
;D
Dicky