PDA

View Full Version : leaking 115 merc 2 str

cruiser42
25-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Is this normal, my 115 2st merc brand new just had first service seems to have a leak from the carbies when tilted up for traveling.It was looked at once at the first service but they coulndn't find any thing,so its back today again because it continues to happin, but they tell me this is normal for a carbie motor.I have had a couple of carbie motors before but smaller ones and have had no problems.Has anyone else had this problem.The chap told me this morning that they are phazing out carb motors and going efi,now if he had told me that when i bought the boat i would of gone efi. errrrrr. Dave >:( >:( >:(

Roughasguts
25-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Mate some will leak out the carb bowl over flow, cause the tilt changes the level, or runs out the air cleaner box.
Having said that me Suzuki don't leak.

banshee
25-07-2006, 09:59 AM
I believe it is normal for a very small bit of "mix" to drain out when the motor is tilted mine did the same thing once,it turned out to be a pinched air box gasket letting it eventualy find it's way into the well (happened straight after a service).Another problem you can have with this motor is oil leaking out of the tank when tilted if you overfill it,the breather valve pops out (little green thing under the black bung in the top of the tank) they genneraly cost around ten bucks if you can't find it floating around in the pan somewhere.

Seahorse
25-07-2006, 05:43 PM
efi? what is that. excuse my ignorance, in comparsion to 2 stroke. iam currently buying 75hp 2 stroke

banshee
25-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Electronic fuel injection

Seahorse
25-07-2006, 06:03 PM
well how does that differ from normal 2 stroke. after daves message above i take that there is a difference

greg

timddo
25-07-2006, 06:12 PM
electronic fuel injection. so no carby, runs better, just compare and old car to a new car. more efficient, but more expensive to repair.

banshee
25-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Normal 2 stroke gets it's fuel through carbies and reed valves, efi gets it into the combustion chamber through injectors much the same as a diesel.I think the smallest efi merc is 135 hp at preasent.

Seahorse
25-07-2006, 06:14 PM
so just stick to the good old 2 stroke?

banshee
25-07-2006, 06:22 PM
I have read that mercury efi 2 strokes are all but bullet proof and ultra reliable,more so than the optimax alternative,the only draw back is they only make them in 135 hp up (I think).

Seahorse
25-07-2006, 06:27 PM
i looked at the 75 optimax. wanted extra $3150.

marlinqld
25-07-2006, 07:04 PM
my 75hp mariner leaks from the carby overflow when fully tilted for towing

i keep it lower and support it on a yoke when towing, no more leaks

i was told it wwas a typical mercury fault and cant be fixed.... might ask again..............

chuss
26-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Merc EFI 2 strokes are made in sizes up to 250HP

Spaniard_King
26-07-2006, 06:37 AM
my 75hp mariner leaks from the carby overflow when fully tilted for towing

i keep it lower and support it on a yoke when towing, no more leaks

i was told it wwas a typical mercury fault and cant be fixed.... might ask again..............

Mike, Its not just Mercs. Most if not all carby 2 strokes do it

Garry

dicko1980
26-07-2006, 06:40 AM
I have a 2006 Merc 75 Two Stroke and it will leak oil in to the engine well depending on how high I tilt the motor up during transport and also how full the oil injection bottle is. It leaks out the breather on the oil bottle. This is normal for these motors in the 75,90, and 115HP range. I didn't know this was a common fault till I searched the net and also when I got the last service done. Just have to watch your oil level.

Cheers
Dicko1980 :D

Seahorse
26-07-2006, 07:24 AM
hey dicko, what u got the 75 merc on the back of. i have just ordered one and was wondering whether i should go 90hp.

your info would be very appreciated

cheers
greg

dicko1980
26-07-2006, 08:34 AM
hey dicko, what u got the 75 merc on the back of. i have just ordered one and was wondering whether i should go 90hp.

your info would be very appreciated

cheers
greg

I have the Merc on a 5m Hooker Side Console as pictured, its more than ample for a boat this size, couldn't go any bigger legally on the hull. Would still have liked a 90 as its the same motor in the Merc stable, but that only because I like to drive faster than my own capabilities LOL. As for speed looking at about between 32-34 knots at around 5100RPM with 200 litres of fuel, 123litre esky with 30kgs of ice and one other person. That's with the bimini opened up. Before when the boat had no bait board and bimini I was getting 37knots at WOT and that was spinning a 18"x14 Suzuki Prop. I currently run a 18" Vengence at the moment but am going to try a 17" Solas that I have at home.

Cheers

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5152/p3230044ed3.jpg

cruiser42
26-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Is this normal, my 115 2st merc brand new just had first service seems to have a leak from the carbies when tilted up for traveling.It was looked at once at the first service but they coulndn't find any thing,so its back today again because it continues to happin, but they tell me this is normal for a carbie motor.I have had a couple of carbie motors before but smaller ones and have had no problems.Has anyone else had this problem.The chap told me this morning that they are phazing out carb motors and going efi,now if he had told me that when i bought the boat i would of gone efi. errrrrr. #Dave # >:( >:( >:(

Well i picked it up today hoping that it was fixed,not the case it was worse than ever ,there was fuel from one end to the other on the transom. They checked the carbies and found everthing ok.So nothing else they can do apparently,so looks like i put up with a new merc that leaks fuel all over the back of my boat. Not happy jan. Maybe merc aust will refund lol.

Seahorse
26-07-2006, 05:28 PM
what do u do now cruiser. that sucks. iam picking mine up in about 3 weeks. do u think that might be common with all 2 strokes. it is only when you fully tilt motor is it. i know this might seen a silly statement but when u flush ur motor do u run fuel out of carbie? how much fuel leaks?

dicko
nice boat. those figures sound good to me. iam like u. want that power but appears hardly anything different with 90 and 75 just 90 sounds better.
i wont have the load u have but. where do u go with all that fuel and ice. u do sound happy with motor.
i still not convinced 90 is not way to go but i will have to decide very quickly.

cheers
greg

cliffo
26-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Hey

My old man's got an 05 merc 75 2 stroke on his boat, don't recall any fuel leaking but always pi$$ed oil out when fully tilted and if the tank under the cowling was full and if motor was in the sun, merc being black, got very hot therefore oil got hot, expanded and stuffed the seal on the cap. so make sure its only about 3/4 full max.
I've got a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke on my boat and dont have any trouble with fuel leaking at all, and it's always tilted up when at home!!
Hope you sort it out

Cliffo

dicko1980
26-07-2006, 07:20 PM
what do u do now cruiser. that sucks. iam picking mine up in about 3 weeks. do u think that might be common with all 2 strokes. it is only when you fully tilt motor is it. i know this might seen a silly statement but when u flush ur motor do u run fuel out of carbie? how much fuel leaks?

dicko
nice boat. those figures sound good to me. iam like u. want that power but appears hardly anything different with 90 and 75 just 90 sounds better.
i wont have the load u have but. where do u go with all that fuel and ice. u do sound happy with motor.
i still not convinced 90 is not way to go but i will have to decide very quickly.

cheers
greg

Nowhere at the moment Greg, to busy working. I didn't order the boat with a tank that big, it just that the boat has a glass tank that is the whole hull length, and vary from anywhere between 185-220 litres. I think the tank is a little over size but its good it your heading to the reef, defiantly no worries with running out of fuel.

Cheers

cruiser42
26-07-2006, 07:49 PM

dicko

cheers
greg

They tell me that its common with merc 2 st and theres not much you can do about it apparently.But if it continues ill be getting on to merc australia and see what they can do to fix the problem.I shouldnt have to put up with a cup of fuel laying in the transom every time i tilt the motor.
The fuel line goes straight to the motor has no connection to disconect i might find something if i take the top off, maybe i shall have a closer inspection.

I shall keep you all posted of delema. Dave

banshee
26-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Two of my mates have the same motor as me,115 merc Saltwater,and none of us has oil or fuel driping into the well or on the floor,sure it happens but it is generaly an easy fix,don't know if I'd be happy just to put up with it.

Seahorse
26-07-2006, 09:04 PM
if its generally an easy fix, how do u fix it

greg

wayne_cook
26-07-2006, 09:52 PM
my 75 and now 90 merc leaked oil from the oil bottle.
the o-rings . tried new o rings it didn't fix it. I wrapped a bit of plumbing thread tape around the o ring no more leaks.I thought the oil may effect the tape but so far so good. Both motors never leaked fuel but I do leave them down during storage.

cheers bear

banshee
26-07-2006, 11:47 PM
In a bit over four years I've had four sorts of oil leaks three in the first year,first one was straight after a service and resulted in carbies emptying into well,I took it back and they either refited or replaced the gasket/seal on the air box which was a ten minute job and has never leaked again.Second was poping the green gromet out of the tank breather this happened twice (when tilted) once the gromet was just lifted a little out of place due to over filling and just needed to be pushed back into place,and once I think I ripped the black bung out when removing the cowl this resulted in the gromet being lost and oil being spilt bought a new kit for ten bucks and fitted it.third type was O ring failure on the tank filler cap causing oil to run into well,you can get a genuine one or one from repco (they're a bit thicker) for a couple of bucks.Unfortunately my fourth leak dosen't come under the "genneraly easy",a blown crank seal let oil run down the leg,after pulling the power head off it was found that the cap wasn't put on square ex factory and had floged out the seal,it lasted untill the motor was just out off warranty.

Seahorse
27-07-2006, 05:18 PM
none of this sounds good. does any of these problems affect the performance of the motor. or does it put u in a situation where motor gives u trouble. might be worth paying the extra and going optimax

greg

wayne_cook
27-07-2006, 05:40 PM
none of this sounds good. does any of these problems affect the performance of the motor. or does it put u in a situation where motor gives u trouble. might be worth paying the extra and going optimax

greg
there not problem free ;D ;D

Seahorse
27-07-2006, 05:53 PM
what other problems are there?

banshee
27-07-2006, 06:20 PM
None of my leaks stoped or affected the motor at all in fact none of them were noticed untill a couple of days after the boat was garaged.In my opinion the standard two stroke is still the most reliable motor in the smaller sizes up to 125 HP,very thirsty but reliable,I know a couple of people with optimax motors and they would sell them tomorrow if the resale wasn't so bad,I guess only time will tell if etec are any better(300 plus hours).

wayne_cook
27-07-2006, 06:22 PM
what other problems are there?
i have only reliable heresay on one motor not enough to bag merc about lets see what owners say good and bad.

one point but the more high tech the more expensive the problems ,more pumps filters belts etc for things to go wrong with.

Seahorse
29-07-2006, 09:06 AM
i do guess u need to weigh it all up. serviceing, oils, parts. when i went for a run in the stacer the other week with 75hp it went well. noice level was ok. maybe cause its stuck on a pod right out the back. think it may be different it a boat where bolted straight to transom. i had 30hp merc it was ok, mate has 90hp merc on his 525ally. mercs are fine by me just never heard of this fuel leak before. going to ask mate tonight.
iam staying with the 75 merc.

dicko1980
29-07-2006, 12:05 PM
The oil leak from the injection bottle on my Merc is dependent on the oil level in the bottle and an how far up the motor is trimmed up on the support. Only now that I use a leg support do I have problems with the motor leaking oil into the engine well. As for noise I think the motor is not to bad for its capacity, to me its a litttle louder than a Yammie, but you have to remember the Merc is is a detuned 90HP with a 84.6 Cubic Inch capacity vs the 51.81 Cubic Inch of the Yammie, and everyone know that cubic inchs equal torque and power!!!

Cheers
dicko :D

cruiser42
29-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Well im pleased to say that after a day of running around in the bay and catching a nice feed of winter whiting that the fuel leak has stopped.What ever the shop did it fixed the problem. Mighten trade it in just yet. :) Dave ;D

Seahorse
30-07-2006, 10:22 AM
hey real glad to here that dave. where u go fishing? wish i could go :(

greg

cruiser42
30-07-2006, 04:35 PM
hey real glad to here that dave. where u go fishing? wish i could go :(

greg
Hi Greg, we head out to the compass adjustment bouy,in 2 hrs we had 30 odd fish, the kids had most of the fun and poor old dad was playing bait boy and fixing tangles. dave 8-)

Seahorse
30-07-2006, 06:05 PM
oh well thats the good part i guess. its great to see the kids catching whiting. they seem to grin from ear to ear.
where do u leave from? iam looking forward to getting out there soon. was down at the spit this arvo. there sure were a lot of boats coming back in. have u been out that way?

greg

cruiser42
30-07-2006, 07:47 PM
oh well thats the good part i guess. its great to see the kids catching whiting. they seem to grin from ear to ear.
where do u leave from? iam looking forward to getting out there soon. was down at the spit this arvo. there sure were a lot of boats coming back in. have u been out that way?

greg
Normaly from shorncliffe,but this time we decided to go from scarbrough.Havent been to the spit but will have to explore shortly.Im going to invest in a bluewater chart for my garmin map 60c so im looking foward to that .. Dave ;D

Seahorse
30-07-2006, 08:20 PM
whats a bluewater chart?
The garman 60c, is that a hand held. I got a garmin 72 a stuffed if i can use it properly, but when the new boat arrives i definitely will be using it.
how far u been out. I was out at scarbourough reef about 6 weeks ago. Because i live southside i seem to fish those waters more but i am going to explore. Mate of mine lives mango hill so going to head out with him. Think its good idea to explore new grounds with couple boats

cheer
greg

cruiser42
30-07-2006, 08:35 PM
whats a bluewater chart?
The garman 60c, is that a hand held. I got a garmin 72 a stuffed if i can use it properly, but when the new boat arrives i definitely will be using it.
how far u been out. I was out at scarbourough reef about 6 weeks ago. Because i live southside i seem to fish those waters more but i am going to explore. Mate of mine lives mango hill so going to head out with him. Think its good idea to explore new grounds with couple boats

cheer
greg
Its a software program for the gps with all information relating to the area you choose like depths, channels ,markers, bouys.It should help me ge to places that is not familia to me.Its about $200 or so.

Iv'e been out to the other side of moreton island in the new boat fishing on a reef,and i tell you it was rough as guts ,spew material.But saw lots of whales so it was worth it.

What sort of boat are you geting??

Seahorse
30-07-2006, 08:46 PM
can the software be loaded onto a hand help gps? that info sounds great. Iam waiting for my 489 stacer runabout, with a 75hp merc. ordered it 11/2 weeks agp. Prob got another 3 weeks to go. Am biting at the bit. What u got again?

greg

cruiser42
31-07-2006, 11:27 AM
can the software be loaded onto a hand help gps? that info sounds great. Iam waiting for my 489 stacer runabout, with a 75hp merc. ordered it 11/2 weeks agp. Prob got another 3 weeks to go. Am biting at the bit. What u got again?

greg
Yes that software can be loaded into my handheld map 60c,not to sure if it is compatible with yours though.

My new boat is a allycraft 5.4 cuddy cabin called Djara ,with a 115 merc 2 st ,we picked it up about 8 weeks ago.It's been great for the family plenty of room.The kids once they have had enough fishing go up under the cabin and play games or rest.Have had a couple of hicups along the way with it but nothing that coulnd't be sorted out.

Just joined the moreton bay boat club,it has secure parking which is one of the main reason i joined plus the club house is great for a beer and a feed which you get 10% discount on all meals and drinks.
Our first over nighter will be river fire looking foward to that.. dave :)

Seahorse
31-07-2006, 05:13 PM
sounds good. what do they charge to join boat club? what do u get for membership?

cheers
greg

cruiser42
01-08-2006, 08:10 AM
sounds good. what do they charge to join boat club? what do u get for membership?

cheers
greg
There is so much to list have alook at the site attach http://www.mbbc.org.au/home.html . The security lock up was my deciding factor as we will be going for overnighters soon. Dave