PDA

View Full Version : In need of a new boat trailer

yort
01-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I have approval from the minister to purchase a new boat trailer as the old one is on its last legs. I have $1500 to spend on a new one but can't seem to get a price below $1700 here in townsville. Is that the going price or am I better off trying to get one shipped up from Brisbane. Also what brands should I look for? I've got to hurry as she is already thinking of other things to spend the money on.

Cheers
Yort

ps It's to suit a 4.5m tinny

Eagle
01-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi Yort
The next boat trailer I have will be one that I design and then build myself. I have an Oceanus trailer for my 4.75 Bluefin Weekender and I'm not exactly impressed with it. I can do a far better job of designing one myself. The ends of the RHS will be fully sealed and then the steel will be given three coats of cold gal paint applied with a brush. From past experience, cold gal is about as good as hot dip galvanizing. #A few coats of a finishing paint and the job will last for years.
If you can do the job yourself you can save a huge amount than can then be better spent elsewhere. If you cant weld but have a mate who can and will help you, then IMO, thats the best way to go. A trailer for a tinnie is a piece of cake to make.
Eagle 8-)

yort
02-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your reply, I thought about making my own but I just don't have the time as I'm expecting my second child in a month's time and there are several other projects around home that need to be finished first. I might have to bite the bullet and spend the extra cash though it's really hard to justify the money spent for what you get.

Yort