PDA

View Full Version : Polycraft 4.10m Challenger

TinarooTriumph
29-07-2006, 09:01 PM
G'day

Showing a little interest in this particular model boat for my first boat. Though I have only heard little feedback on this model in magazines, and I would like some more feedback on this model, aswell as other Polycraft models. They look the goods - they've got all the boxes 'ticked' (They are at a good price too.), but can they take the time? Are they tough and durable?. Any feedback much appreciated.

Cheers

TT 8-)

Forrester
29-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi Tinaroo
Look on their website which will give you some ideas.
Roy :)
http://www.polyboatowners.com/

sparky54
29-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi. TinarooTriumph

Go to http://www.polycraft.com.au/ and also checkout http://www.polyboatowners.com/ , lots of help there.

Cheers

TinarooTriumph
29-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Cheers Roy, thats a top link. Im checking it out now!

Any AusFish members got feedback?

TT 8-)

phewy
29-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Don't own a 4.1, but do a 4.55 front runner and its all positive feedback from us. Not one thing I don't like about the poly. We wouldn't be as happy with anything else, guaranteed.

If, when you say "will it take the time", you are worried about the polys becoming weathered or the such after time, there is no need to be. Here is a snippet from the poly website....

"Q. What happens to the plastic when left out in the sun, will it go brittle over time?
A. The short answer is no, the Polyethylene we use has a UV stability rating of 11, compared to a wheelie bin with a UV rating of 4 - the boats are two times more UV stable. Go home and have a look your wheelie bin, it sits in direct sunlight 24/7 365 days a year with little effect or notable damage".

"It’s always good to point out that the poly used in the boats is nothing like the plastic used to manufacture outdoor furniture, garden lights etcetera. The only other thing you could confidently compare the boats to would be a poly rainwater tank; most of these come with a 25 year guarantee and are nearly always in direct sunlight."

And also mentioned on the website is that poly has proven, in independent tests, to have five times the impact resistance of fiberglass.
So I am sure it will stand the test of time.

Take one for a run after a similar test in a similar size tinnie in average conditions to be totally converted and totally amazed. #8-)

TinarooTriumph
30-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Cheers Phewy! Thanks for that. Will be heading off to the nearest Polycraft dealer (Boat Scene Cairns) to check the Challenger out. I read a article on Steve Williamson in the last edition of Freshwater Fishing and his 4.1 Challenger review, and he said he couldnt find a better boat!. And looking at prices, its hard to go past these boats. Finding a 2nd hand one could be difficult though ::) .

TT 8-)

thebloke
31-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Ive got a 4.1 Challenger with a side console. I mainly use it to fish the Murray and its perfect for that.
Ive bumped it off the occasional snag that you tend to find in the Murray without any damage.
Its also a very stable boat, with two of us we can freely move around the boat,even though we are both in the extra well built class.
It handles a reasonable chop ok, its not the sort of boat you take offshore, but I buzz around the bay here quite comforably.
Quick and easy to clean.
Go for a test ride if you get the chance, I did and I was hooked :)
Give me a yell if theres anything else you want to know

TinarooTriumph
31-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Cheers for that bloke. Yeah I will get back to you on that later on the week or next week after I've gone to check it out at BoatScene then I might have some questions for you.

Don't mean to be rude, and you dont have to answer it, but how much did you pay for yours :-/ ? .

Cheers mate

TT 8-)

thebloke
01-08-2006, 01:28 PM
With carpet, lights,and a 50 HP E-tec it was around $15,300

TinarooTriumph
01-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Cheers for that mate.

I will try and pick up a 2nd hand Tiller steer model with outboard and a few accessories, then take it home and customize it from there. God know's how much that will set us back, but I have a feeling it will be well worth it.

TT 8-)

Plasticin
01-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Tinaroo,

Seriously thought about getting one but in the end decided to stick with the tinny and went a stacer 435 barra elite. Didn't like the finish of the poly and whilst i have since seen some very well set up ones i still think that i went the right way. they do sound really great, fantastic ride and really quiet only with the downside of being a little heavy.

Just got to weigh it up i guess mate do you want something that does the job and is quiet on the water but doesn't look as good, in my opinion, as a tinny or something that looks hot!!! i went the later ::)

good luck mate

trilogy
01-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Plasticin
The weight issues of the polycrafts always had me fooled as I had listened to others without doing a bit of research of my own.
For instance the Stacer website quotes the weight of the
435 barra elite as 265 kg.
The poly site quotes the 410 open as 265 kg :o
410 centre consol and side consol as 280 kg
Do you really think this weight difference is a downside?

billfisher
01-08-2006, 10:48 PM
I don't regard a bit of extra weight as a downside as it tends to improve handling in choppy conditions. Lightweight tinnies tend to perform atrociously in these situations, bouncing and crashing off every wave.

As to appearance the poly's have in their favour that they keep their looks. Fiberglass boats tend to fade and tinnies can loose their paint and collect dents.

Archer
01-08-2006, 10:53 PM
The weight things a non issue unless you intend to buy an open tinny without full floors under deck storage etc....
Once youve added all the to your standard tinny the polys are pretty much on par weight wise.

robb0
02-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi TT,
If you keep your eyes on the used boat scene you should be able to pick up a decent one for under $10,000.00, I was looking for about 12 months in the trading post, ebay, local papers etc. found a good one about 2 months ago for $8,000.00 4.1 poly 40 honda sounder gps all under 3 years old and have just finished fitting it out. Best of luck with your search

Tim
here's a couple pics of the finished poly

robb0
02-08-2006, 09:20 AM
from the back

Poseidon
02-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Good looking fitout robbo, that rod rack in the background looks the goods as well.

Regards

Cameron.

TinarooTriumph
02-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Cheers fella's.

Yes nice boat Tim, looks nicely decked out. Wil be keeping my eyes open for sure, but my eyes will also be open for any other models like this in a cheaper $$$ frame. Anything will do me at the moment, but I want to get there, and fish in comfort.

TT 8-)