PDA

View Full Version : Savage 620 Swordfish questions

OISTA
02-08-2006, 10:08 PM
G'day all,

Wondering if any body has any experience with these boats. Good/bad ??
It will be used around Moreton bay with some offshore as well. Fishing and camping.
The reason I ask about this boat is I believe it to be lighter than plate boats (I have to tow a fair way)
How would the hull stand up to pounding in the bay slop.

Cheers for any input

Mic

Grand_Marlin
03-08-2006, 07:39 AM
G'day OISTA,

The 620 Swordfish would be fine for qld.

They were pretty much designed for port phillip bay & offshore, so Moreton wouldnt be a problem.

They are lighter than plate and therefore arent going to be as soft riding ... but what you loose in buying old technology, you do gain in waterline length as the swordfish is not a small boat.

It is a very capable offshore boat and many of the older ones were fitted with twin motors. #I dont remember if they were self draining or not?

Depending on how the figures stack up, personally I would choose plate, but each to their own.

Are you talking new or used - and if used how old?

If you were to buy a swordfish, just dont flog the guts out of it #;)

A friend of mine in Tassie had one with twin 115's on it - he said he would never part with it.

Cheers

Pete

davo
03-08-2006, 11:50 AM
A bloke at work has one with a 135HP Merc on the back. He seen happy with it although as far as offshore work goes have a think because I have seen them break after a short period (still under warranty). I would think about a bit smaller boat in plate. Put it this way my 4.8m Fisher kills my 5.2m Savage alumium that I had prior in ride and seaworthiness. I actually got rid of it because of my back and since owning the Fisher I've been much better.

OISTA
04-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info :).
Grand_Marlin, I would be looking at a boat 2-5 years old.
The reason I was considering Savage boats is our family owned a Savage Snipe since 1983 and have not had one single with the hull. I was also considering Fisher and Barcrusher but they cost more :o

davo, do you believe you get a better value if it's plate?? Also I do want it to last as I will probably own the boat for 10-15 years.