PDA

View Full Version : permatrim/foils

eimeo
04-08-2006, 02:12 PM
i have a 75hp merc with a 20"pitch.with 3 up it does about 35kts but is slow to plane.What are the benefits of permatrims/foils etc.

dave

Seahorse
04-08-2006, 04:16 PM
was that 20''pitch a standard prop. 35knts is pretty quick. what type of hull is it on. only reason i ask is, that iam buying a 489 stacer and it has a 75 merc stroke.
am keen to know how they perform.

cheers
greg

Rogues
04-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Dave,
I assume you have a boat to go with that otherwise the three of you would get pretty wet................ ;)
What hull/ type of boat m8.....................
35knots is pretty quick for a reasonable sized craft with a 75 on the back,
and you would have to expect it to labour a little getting on the plane with 3-up plus all the gear. :P
Fitting a foil could possibly help in getting you up quicker but it can cause side effects that you may not like..........other than reducing top speed due to drag. Some boats should not have them fitted under any circumstances so if its not making life unbearable for you.....forget them.
My opinion,
Cheers, Chris

eimeo
04-08-2006, 06:25 PM
i have a haines 445f (15 foot fibreglass) boat

eimeo
04-08-2006, 06:27 PM
the prop was on the boat when i brought it -its a quicksilver s/s so i assume it is the original

redbloke1956
04-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Hi dave, I have a Yaltacraft 535 with a 115 yammy, it had a foil when i bought it...........scared the bejesus out of me, got to a certain speed (well under WOT) and it decided to turn SHARPLY to the left....took off the foil and all is good

Just my opinion
Kevin

Rogues
04-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Dave, my previous tub was a 492F with a 70 Johnno on it with foil....
I'd say it was a bit so-so getting up on its toes 3 or 4 up with gear too but wasnt the end of the world..............I had a serious run-in with a foil on as well.......... :( tokk it off but never felt safe with that rig again. :-/
Personally, I'd never have one again and I would be a lil' reticent about getting into a boat that had one on......but thats just me.
Best O' luck.
Cheers, Chris

seatime
04-08-2006, 09:02 PM
eimeo,

what sort of revs are you doing to get 35knts?

20" S/S Quicksilver prop does sound a little big possibly, a smaller one should give better acceleration and load carrying performance.
you would lose top end speed tho.
the haines may be deeper V'd than most, and need more of that torquey drive you'd get with a small pitch.

some others may have ideas?

rgds