PDA

View Full Version : Whittley 5.3 Impala or Voyager 550

XR
26-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi all,
Any one had experience or comments on these boats. Looking for something in the 2-5 year old range.

thanks, XR

Blackened
27-07-2006, 07:53 AM
G'day
A couple of years ago my grandad bought one of the 5.3 impalas new, after the 700 cruisemaster. The impala had a 90 honda on it and went pretty well fully loaded by memory. They are a very nice hull, but can be enhanced by trim tabs. As you know they're not a hardcore fishing boat but they are more of a cruising boat and as such has all the bits and pieces. I dont think there are many other boats out there where you will get more boat for your money in the same size hull. Their website is pretty comprehensive and is worth a look. Good lluck on your search.
Dave

finding_time
27-07-2006, 08:48 AM
XR

Blackend hit the nail on the head with( A couple of years ago my grandad brought one)

Lots of gagets ,even wheelchair access i think!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D But if your getting on in years and a little forgetful they will probably suit!! ;) ( Kingtin is going to kill me)

The voyager is more of a fishing boat!

Ian

bidkev
27-07-2006, 09:57 AM
XR

Blackend hit the nail on the head with( A couple of years ago my grandad brought one)

Lots of gagets ,even wheelchair access i think!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D But if your getting on in years and a little forgetful they will probably suit!! ;) ( Kingtin is going to kill me)

Ian

Not me, I'm too old for fighting, and I will have forgotten what you said, by tomorrow ;) ;D

kev

finding_time
27-07-2006, 11:34 AM
:)

Blackened
27-07-2006, 01:20 PM
G'day
Haha nice call guys
Dave

Az
27-07-2006, 03:15 PM
XR

Lots of gagets ,even wheelchair access i think!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D But if your getting on in years and a little forgetful they will probably suit!! ;) #( Kingtin is going to kill me)

Ian

Not me, I'm too old for fighting, and I will have forgotten what you said, by tomorrow ;) ;D

kev

;D ;D

XR
27-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Dave,
Thanks for the constructive comments.
Ian,
Thanks also for your perspective. I did suspect that they were a bit of a grandpa boat, but did not realise they came with wheel chair access, thats a bonus!!!

Actually have come from a "serious" offshore fishing boat a Customised Cruise craft Scorpion, which i used to fish break sea spit area of the top of Fraser Island, reefs of 1770 and Shoal water bay area.
But i am giving the offshore a miss for while until i can affort a 2400 Kevla cat. I have had enough of the constant pounding for hours to get to where i go.
So i am looking at a boat to do me for the next couple of years, focusing on family trips (I have Fraser Island at my door step) and a bit of fishing etc, hence the Whittley with some creature comforts.

I am also considering a Cruise Craft 550 Outsider, any comments.

Regards,
XR

bidkev
27-07-2006, 11:35 PM
<snip>, hence the Whittley with some creature comforts.

I am also considering a Cruise Craft 550 Outsider, any comments.

Regards,
XR

Take a look at the Sea Legend series..........fishing boat + creature comforts

kev

finding_time
28-07-2006, 12:17 AM
XR

If you have had enough of banging go the Whittley over the 550 they dont call them Bruise crafts for nothing!! ;)

Ian

PS

That's about as constructive as i get atm i'm now in my 19 hour at work today( started at 5am) and my 62 hour since 9.30 am monday!! :-[( Isn't owning your own business fun) Anyway a couple more to go so back to it .

PPS Shayne your driving the boat saturday, i'm sleeping up the front

Blackened
28-07-2006, 08:26 AM
G'day
Do what kev said. If you are set on a whittley, check the sealegend series. Can be powered by both outboard and sterndrive in the bigger hulls.
Dave

XR
28-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone, i will check out the Sea legends also.
I am looking at the mid $30k price range, max about 5.5m and a towing weight of less than 1800kg.

Has anyone been in these Whittleys to give a good opinion of the ride, i would have imagined the Cruise craft Outsider 550 to be similar in ride anyway.

Regards,
XR

Alex9797
28-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey XR,

I have been realy happy with my cruisecraft outsider 575 ( no bruises so far ). I suspect that the older model is called a 550 I think. Weight might be a bit of a problem as I think the all up weight for the rig is about 1800 without any gear.

Had a look at the smaller whittleys and thought that there was a bit of a lack of room out the back. Its hard to find a boat around 5.5 that has a good balance between cabin space and fishing room.

You pay a lot of money for the cruisecrafts but I believe that the quality is there along with good resale. Not so good if you are looking to buy one.

Have you had a look at the Haines Hunter with the 4 stroke for sale on the site? At the risk of being a bit repetitive the new Yaltas are a great buy new. Mid 30s will get you a genuine 20 footer with a bit left over for some gear.

happy hunting :)

Alex

XR
31-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Alex,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is a compromise with a 5.5m boat for fishing room verses cabin room.
Have you been in other boats to compare your cruise craft with for ride quality?
I think the 550 Outsider may just come in under the 1800kg, but i am not sure. I have seen them on single axle trailers, so there is a good chance that they might.
I am going to the Brisy boat show so i will check out the Yaltas there.
I am not a Haines fan really, just me.

Thanks again,
XR

Alex9797
01-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Hey XR,

I'm no expert in terms of boat handling. That was clearly articulated on the weekend when I nearly ran into a fellow ausfishes boat. Sorry John :-[ :-[ :-[

I have owned about 10 boats over the years the last 4 were a mustang 17.5 , seafarer ventura, savage tinnie and now the cruisecraft. The 575 all up measures closer to 20 foot when you take into account the overhangs and IMHO is a large boat for an 18 footer ( now I'm confused ). It seems to handle better running than it does going into the slop. There is no way I that i would tow anything near 1800 with a single axle trailer, just too risky. :o

My very basic understanding is that the greater the angle of deadrise and where this is located contributes to the overall handling of the boat.

The CC has a 20 degree deadrise and carries her beam fairly well forward which seems to give it good bouyancy coming down the swell and fantastic stability at rest.

some other boats carry a greater degree of deadrise. This should increase performance into the swell but may lead to sacrifices interms of stability at rest.

The reason I liked the Yaltas were that I thought that they were a good honest boat that seemed particularly good value for money for a new rig. Grand Marlin, Gawby etc know a fair bit about them and could probably give you some honest opinions. If you were after one you could tow easily they have one called the allrounder which I think is about 5.5 metres. Different manufacturers seem to have strange ways of measuring boats. Yalta seems to understate the overall length where others seem to include the prop. :)

The reason I didn't buy one...........

My wife liked the bigger cabin and the colour of the canopy on the cruisecraft ;D ;D

Happy hunting

Alex

XR
03-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Alex,
Thanks again. I have always been a bit of a Cruise craft fan, but will check out the Yaltas and others at the boat show.

Best regards,
XR

oongi
03-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi XR

Picked up a Voyager 6 moths ago and I think its what you are looking for, head off shore with the boys fishing or take the family cruising. The weight is about right but the price for the age you are looking at starts at $48000.

Great alround boat

OONGI

XR
04-08-2006, 08:25 PM
OONGI,
Is your Voyager a 550? and how would rate the ride thru chop etc.
I have seen some 550 Voyagers around 2000 - 01 models for about mid to high $30s, does this sound right.

Regards,
XR

oongi
04-08-2006, 09:09 PM
XR

No I've got the 580, so I can't really comment on the 550, but if it's much the same as the 580 it handles fine, I didn't look at 550 before buying mine so you are proberly right about the price.
Sorry for the bum streer, at the end of the day whittley's are a great boat.

OONGI