PDA

View Full Version : Trim tabs

Volcano
29-05-2006, 01:46 PM
I've been thinking very seriously about putting trim tabs on my boat.
It's a Haines Signature 542F, and I find that it tends to have a bit of body roll when it is underway when the seas are up even a little. Hit a bit of well, and it starts to tilt to one side.
Its particulary bad when the seas are coming across the boat, it just feels quite unstable and uncomfortable.

I was looking at the Bennett M80 Sports trim tab kit (according to their website, its for boats sized 17 foot to 20 foot (With the signature sitting about 17.5 foot or so)

I was wondering, can you get trim tabs that are TOO big for your boat? Assuming you stay within the guidelines of 8 inches from the centre line and 3 inches from the edge of the hull, can I get the largest possible tabs I can find to fit that distance? Do I have to stick with the recommended sized ones?

Cheers,

Matt.

propdinger
30-05-2006, 08:49 AM
i would only go the m80 dont go larger you wont need it. i put the m80 on my 6.5mtr haines cause of room would of loved to fitted the m120 but just wouldnt fit with all the crap on the back ;D and they work fine on my rig so they will work really well on yours. cant live without them now can trim the motor out abit more get more speed and a comfy ride and level the boat on a side swell.

Volcano
01-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Well, after speaking to Haines themselves and several people in the know, I opted for the 18" trim tabs.
Paid for them yesterday from Murray http://www.boatshop.com.au, arrived today!
Installation begins tonight! woo hoo!
Hope I dont screw this up ;D

Edmo
01-06-2006, 04:01 PM
From past experience and what symptoms you`ve mentioned they will level out your ride nicely once you`ve mastered the controls.
They worked a treat on a mates 20 foot mustang. :)

Volcano
02-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Well, they got installed last night over a carton of beer and a few bourbons.
Ironically, this was one of the most trouble free installations I have ever had. Ever.
We had to trim the top of the actuators/rams down slightly so we didnt have to drill a hole through the swim boards on the back (And to be honest, had I ordered EXTRA short rams that probably wouldnt even have been necessary).

After hooking up all the bits and pieces and wiring the rocker switch, the sound of the transmission fluid running through those rams was like a sweet, sweet chorus :D

I still can't believe we didn't hit any snags on this installation.
For anyone considering buying a set of these, I highly recommend doing a self install (or at least investigate it yourself). I am by no means a handy man - hell, I'm a computer programmer by trade ;D and I managed to get the suckers installed and pumping!

rough_shag
02-06-2006, 12:14 PM
What sort of dollars are we talking for a set?Cheers! Jace.PS: A picture would have been nice to show us your handywork mate.PSS: let us know how you go with 'em out on the water.

Volcano
02-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Hey Jase,
I bought a set of 18" by 9" for $900 delivered. I know you can get the M80's and M120's for around the $700-$800 mark, but I figured for that extra bit of dough, might as well get the big puppies :P

The only thing extra I really had to buy was some Automatic Transmission Fluid and borrow a caulking gun with some sika-flex (sorry about the spelling - its the marine grade sealant) in it.

I only really have 4 photos from my mobile phone and didnt really think they were worth posting. 1 of the placement of the HPU in the battery box, one of the rear view, then a shot of each of the port and stardoard side tabs.

rough_shag
03-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Fair enough mate but anyway let us know how she performs out on the water and if you still think they were worth fitting after going for a test run.Sometimes the slight listing to one side or another under way can be annoying eh.Interested to see how you go with 'em.Cheers! Jace.

mirage
03-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi Matt, I'll be very interested to hear how they perform, Scotty.

ozscott
03-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I installed a set of M-120 sport tabs (Bennett) on my 20" Seafarer Vagabond - bloody fantastic. Really the best thing that I have done to it - and I have dont a bit over time.l

Cheers

Wyoming
03-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Do the trim tabs have any beneficial effect on the economy?
Neil

ozscott
03-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Havnt noticed mate - not taken any notice that is. I have a Navman fuel flow transducer but I havnt noticed yet because I am too busy still wowing over the tabs. Having said that the extra trimability prob means less revs for given speed and therefore there might be slight saving, but I doubt it would be a lot unless you used the boat daily say.

I asked a lot of qs before buying and ummed and arrhhd over it - but they are brilliant - you get control that you simply do not have without.
Cheers

Volcano
03-06-2006, 11:08 PM
The mate of mine who helped me install them, and was the inpriation behind me installing mine (he has the M120's) reckons he uses about 15 to 20% less fuel with his tabs. Honestly I dont see how that could be possible, but he swears it. He does regular trips with regular waypoints out around Hutchies/Shallow tempest. Used to take a jerry can with him and use it to get home. I can verify that he no longer even carries a jerry can.

Looks like the test will be either tomorrow or Next Thursday.Either way, I'll let you know what my thoughts are on them.

Matt.

Wyoming
04-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks Matt, you haave tickled my interest on these, and I might take a look at fitting them to my Cruise Craft 575.

Neil

Smelly
03-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Guys,

I feel I need to add to this one with interest..

I too have acquried the M80 tabs and will be installed in 2 weeks.

My boat is a Haines 5.3m (17.4 feet) SL 1989 model.

Facts:
- M80 are sized at 8" x 10" for boats between 17' and 20'.
- 18" tabs are sized at 18" x 9" for boats between 19' and 24'.

What I have a concern is this:
I asked Bennetts if I could put the 18"tabs on - but did not rec. it and rec. the M80 tabs.
I now have a concern that I outdid myself on performance by choosing the smaller tabs..

Volcano - you put the 18" tabs on your 17.5 foot boat. #I should have done the same..and maybe feel liek I have missed out and massive performance gains.. :-[ ?

Guys, woudl the 18" tabs have been better on my 17.4ft boat or should I be happy with the M80's?

Probdinger - You mentioned you don't need to go larger than the M80's - why not?

In this case, is it still - the bigger the better?

WHat technical difference would the larger tabs have given me (if at all)?

Regards

Getout
04-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Any body used those QL brand tabs? They work on a different principle with a retractable blade. Fully electric. Much less hardware and less to damage. just wondered it they have the same effect

ken4159
04-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Yes I have them on a 5.5 centrecab, would not be without them

Smelly
04-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Volcano - you have any thoughts on my post?