PDA

View Full Version : platey's: build or buy?

Deiter
06-08-2006, 10:21 AM
g'day all,
i have been toying with the idea of building my own plate ally boat for a while now, and was after a few peoples opinions/ experiences.

looking at something around the 5.5 - 5.8m mark (18' - 19'), as this is about as big as i could handle solo at the ramp while still being big enough for outside excursions and taking the family (only 3 of us) out for day trips and possibly overnighters. Yes i would prefer a bit bigger, but this size is the best compromise for me (i think?).

anyway, i got the idea now that perhaps (read definately ;)) it might be better to get a stage 1, bare metal boat done and fit it out myself from there. i have done a bit of welding and metalworking, so i am not a novice, but no boatbuilder either.

Has anyone out there done this????
obviously cost is a major factor. how much would a bare boat likely cost?

particular boat i like is an Adam Schwetz designed 5.8m runabout (Nomad boats)
http://www.nomadmarinekits.com/catalogue/runabouts/runabouts-58cuddy2.htm.

Tha Minister for Finance and Sport and Recreation has approved funding, so i am itching to get somthing happening, would really appreciate any input.

thanx guys,
Damo

dnej
06-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Damo,
Before you do anything,talk to Fisher boats at Bribie Island. Make sure you tell Col, I recommended you talk to him.He wont try and sell you, but rather discuss your needs.
He advertises on this site

He received the plate boat of the year award,and would do anything you wanted.
Take care on DIY,as it can turn out very wrong.
Regards David

madmackrel
06-08-2006, 12:22 PM
8-) Deiter firstly, if you are going to build that particular boat, i would DEFINETLY ask for details of recently built boats and request a water trial. Secondly, you must have a three phase welder do NOT attempt with single phase.Thirdly a mate and i built a Phill Curran design and had no problems at all, but we are both boilermakers if you need any advise dont hesitate to contact me .Perry

Deiter
06-08-2006, 02:22 PM
yeah David, dunno why i didn't mention the Fisher's, as they are a definate possibility too. I have been out with a mate who has a 580 Fisher (Thunderbird) a few times, bloody nice boat.

i will have to give Col a call before i decide anything, just getting the 'feelers' out there first.

MadMacks, i have looked at the CDM boats too, just couldn't find a boat 'off the shelf' on the website that was quite what i was looking for. which one did you build? they all looked like bloody good sea boats, but i need a bit of sleeping area in the boat, and the CDM's didn't have one listed in that size range. If i have missed something, let me know.

i do have a boilermaking friend at my disposal too, but he doesn't have much available time.

Hey Perry, here's a thought, how would you like to make me one? ;)

Damo

madmackrel
06-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Damo have attached photo of boat just after painting, have plenty more but all in album(b4 digital) same old problem, time, tryin to build one myself. Still keen to offer advise and help if you decide to go ahead with project 8-) Good luck Perry

Deiter
06-08-2006, 06:16 PM
thanx for that Perry, check your pms ( not the missus) ;D ;D
damo