PDA

View Full Version : Deck wash pump installation

sparky54
03-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi All

I have a deck wash pump to fit to my boat, was woundering where the best place for the water pickup to be mounted.

Keith

Blackened
03-08-2006, 08:16 PM
G'day
Most of the ones i've seen are mounted on the transom. However get in contact with Grand_Marlin and pick his brains.
Dave

ribbit
03-08-2006, 08:35 PM
I put mine next to bungs and seems to work ok.

daz35
03-08-2006, 08:44 PM
mine also picks up near bungs and seems fine

Angla
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Have it so that it is always in the water even on a high plane.
Do not have it in the centre at the lowest point as when you are beached, it will pick up sand.

Angla

Mr__Bean
04-08-2006, 02:26 AM
If you only intend to use it when the boat is at rest, then I reckon in through the transom is fine.

Keep in mind though that unless you are fitting a strainer to the sytem it will suck back in any slops that go over the back off your bait board (fish guts etc).

Mine also picks up near where the bungs are.

- Darren

Chimo
04-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Why not fit a 50 or 100 lt collapsible fresh water tank in the bow or midships and plumb your suction from it.

This also gives you a fresh water shower to keep the Minister for Finance and tinlids happy too.

I have both fresh water and sea (plumbed via a brass marine intake thru the hull with a stop-cock) and rarely if ever use the sea water now.

Chimo

ken4159
04-08-2006, 01:14 PM
I have a hole thru the hull forward of transom & offset, that way i don't pickup waste from the bait board

wayne_cook
04-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Why not fit a 50 or 100 lt collapsible fresh water tank in the bow or midships and plumb your suction from it. #

This also gives you a fresh water shower to keep the Minister for Finance and tinlids happy too.

I have both fresh water and sea (plumbed via a brass marine intake thru the hull with a stop-cock) and rarely if ever use the sea water now. #

Chimo
Does this mean u hose of fish and clean them with fresh water

Chimo
04-08-2006, 03:31 PM
brrear

No. They go into the salt water ice slurry in the esky!!

Should I wash them in fresh too, is that what you do?

Chimo GOM

Seahorse
04-08-2006, 04:08 PM
excuse my ignorance, but i have never seen a deck wash. please explain how it all works.

thanks

Blackened
04-08-2006, 07:26 PM
G'day
Deckwash, high pressure 12V pump, generally with a raw water pickup. Raw water is picked up through the hull by a number of ways, through the 12V pump and then through a garden hose/coil hose setup, usually with a trigger nossle. these are usually to wash down decks from food, spew, fish guts/blood/scales and anything else that can bake onto the boat, making it much harder to remove later.
Dave

madman1
04-08-2006, 07:38 PM
What is the cheapest alternative when fitting a deck wash?

Blackened
04-08-2006, 07:46 PM
G'day
Cheapest alternative when fitting a deckwash? No idea. Personally when doing ANYTHING with the boat i always use top quality, as the marine environment has no mercy. Top quality also comes at a price tho. As for an alternative... how about a 9L plastic bucket... athough you don't get the pressure.
Dave

madmackrel
04-08-2006, 07:55 PM
What is the cheapest alternative when fitting a deck wash?
Madman 1 mate you could, that is if you have a live bait tank, fit a two way tap and alternate between live tank and wash down, only downfall no were near the same pressure.

dicko1980
04-08-2006, 08:27 PM
I use a budget setup for my deckwash by using a hose connector off the bait tank pump outlet. The pressure is obvisouly not as high as a dedicated deskwash pump but it does work well enough with a short hose and spray nozzle.

Cheers
dicko1980

Angla
06-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Found a pic of my setup.

Live well pump on the left and deckwash on the right that also doubles as a live bait pump.

The filter is out at the moment being cleaned of sand, from the first time parking at the beach while having livies onboard. You live and learn.

There is a Tee at the bottom of the deckwash pump, after the filter. There is enough water supply to run both pumps together.

The bait well has 2 x taps to turn "on" or "off" water flow from either pump.

The pump on the left is the smallest version of the deck wash pump.

Angla
06-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Deck wash pickup

The_Guru
07-08-2006, 08:37 AM
I have my pickups set pretty low as when fishing on front deck with 2-3 the rear of the boat near the sides can sit pretty high in the water. I have the plastic elbows threaded on so i can put down when on the plane if needed or up if im beaching it etc. My 2 intakes are used for 120L livewell so i need it useable on the plane.