PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE SOUGHT

cribby
05-08-2006, 07:38 PM
I am new to this site and so far have enjoyed it immensly. #I am new in the boating scene and would like some advice in relation to the recomended puchase of a boat. #

I am seeking advice in relation to what you all think is a suitable boat for the following:

Outside fishing, river fishing, towing the kids on a tube or similar. #I am looking at buying brand new or close to brand new. #When fishing outside, it would be more then likely 3 adults. #When in the river my wife 2 x kids and I. #Any suggestions, boat style, motors etc would be muchly appreciated,

After that, suggested locations to find the boats to buy would be appreciated. IE web sites.
I reside in the mid north coast of nsw.

V6 Commodore to tow boat. Budget 15000-20000. Only a casual outside fisherman. Just reliable is what i am after

Regards
cribby

Spaniard_King
05-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Cribby,,

welcome to the site ;)

You have forgotten to tell us the most important factor.... whats the budget ;D ;D ;D

What vehicle do you have to tow the boat with..another very important concideration as it will determine boat size.

cheers

Garry

HarryO
05-08-2006, 07:48 PM
G'day Cribby,

and welcome aboard...

Its always difficult to recommend a boat to a newbie
without first asking a thousand questions..

A boat to cover those activities safely would have to be
minimum at least 5m plus, have a good power to weight,
and be reliable.

What price bracket are you looking at?

Harry

cribby
05-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Sorry guys

Budget perhaps 15000,20000. Have a commodore V6. Not a pro fisherman. Just want the reliability and perhaps stability for outside.

gawby
05-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Gidday cribby,
The boat i had before the one i have now i purchased from a boat yard as a demo and was 7,000 cheaper than new price.
Perhaps have a look around the yards near you and see if they have any demo boats for sale.
For comfort you need at least 5m and 90 hp.
Thats my opinion.
Graeme ;)

HarryO
05-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Mate, for your budget you should be able to pickup
something decent in the 2nd hand market.

Do you have a preference for glass or alloy?

For the "three blokes fishing offshore", I'd be leaning
toward a cuddy cab, as it will provide a bit of
protection while leaving enough room in the cockpit.

cribby
05-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Guys

I woudl rather alloy.

griz066
05-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Ebay mate heaps on there 8-)

timddo
05-08-2006, 10:09 PM
cribby, i'm new to the site too. but for $20,000 your not going to get much for that price. A cuddy Cab will cost ya around $32,000 for a decent setup.

if you buy alloy, make sure it's plate, i been outside 2 times in my 4.85 boat.

i saw jeremy's boat today, hmm small , a lot smaller but he manages to go in and out safely. (thats 4.3meter center consol.).

second hand you should be able to get a good boat.
i have a runabout with a high bimini.

JEWIENEWIE
06-08-2006, 07:28 AM
I think your pretty keen spending that sought of money on your first boat. May i suggest that you go something cheaper and smaller until you learn the ropes, like myself, you will be sure to hit bottom, scrape jetties,etc. But hey, if that isnt a worry, go for it. Just my two cents worth.
Jewie ;)

wayne_cook
06-08-2006, 08:14 AM
check out your local boat ramps see what there useing and what vehicle does the job!
example i have a 5m plate boat and require a 4x4 to retrieve her on my local ramp but she is a bit of a shocker.

All the info u gave would suggest to me boating is something u may like to get into but have little experience, if! this is the case start off with say a 4.3m second hand cheapie with a reliable motor.It will do everything u want plus will be easier to handle,in the right areas.Also if u want to upgrade there should be little or no loss on ur first investment.
one other point if ur not in a hurry exceptional bargins do come up. My friend recently purchased a fantastic setup for $7000 on ebay sold a $32000 new boat that didn't cut the mustard and is now happy as a pig in it.
hope this helps
bear

JEWIENEWIE
06-08-2006, 09:37 PM
;) ;) ;) ;)
Jewie

Alex9797
07-08-2006, 11:05 AM
hey cribby,

do you need shelter for the kids? makes a big difference in terms of making a choice.

welcome aboard :)

Alex

cribby
07-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will need some type of shelter for the kids. Sounds like its a case of trial and error and shopping around

Rogues
07-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Cribby,
sold my 98 Signature 492f for 16k with a 70 Johnno on the back........nice boat but in retrospect for your criteria it was a bit small and a bit underpowered,...and it was glass. :-/ which is one reason I sold it.
Where are you located on the MNC mate, to some degree your area could determine your boat,.sounds like either a cuddycab or runabout,
minimum 5.4m in length with at least 90hp on the arse.
Then again, You could go Bowrider. ;)
Cheers, Rogues

ahoj
08-08-2006, 12:54 PM
You have to decide why you need the shelter for kids other then a bimini and if you going that far out #better leave the kids home and yourself also.. Good starter boat would be a Polycraft around 5 meter with 50-70 hp motor #for water skiing or tubing Start with the intention more #fishing or sporting in dams and rivers If this is your first boat experience I would recommend to #go with someone from here out to sea and there you will get the feel what it is all about.
Often it is not nice and can be dangerous for a beginner or even experienced pescator..OK in sheltered waters #but there are not many. and you need a lots of safety eqipment radio compas and so on.

A lots of thought has to go into such venture #If you can afford a boat #15-20k then you will possibly finish with a boat i just described and it will take you to sea #but i will #think you will NOT be doing sea fishing professionely..

Welcome to the Club Cribby

cheers Ahoj

Alex9797
08-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey Ahoj, :)

it can make a huge difference depending on the age of the kids. My two are 2 & 5 years old and sleep on the way back from Peel or the Pin. It is a lot harder to keep them out of the sun/rain whilst underway with only a bimini. The downside with a cabin boat is that it is slightly harder to anchor if you are the only one aboard who can drive a boat. Having said that my wife is becoming pretty good at driving us off after I retrieve the pick.

So at the end of the day its horses for corses. All boats are a compromise in one way or another. The main thing is to be fair dinkum about what you intend to use the boat for, how you intend to tow and store, how much petrol you can afford for a day out, will you be able to launch and retrive by yourself or will you always have someone to help and are you prepared to accept the bumps and bruises that come with the crappy ramps etc.

its all good fun :) :)

my wife reckons that I enjoy shopping for boats more than I enjoy using them. I suspect that there is an element of truth in that for a lot of us.

happy hunting :)

Alex