PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a boat upgrade.....

abitfishy
08-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Hey all,
I've sat and watched here a lot (and learnt a lot), now I'd like some direct advice if you guys would be so kind.....

I bought my first boat about 6mths ago - its a very old dehavilland open aluminium 4.3m (from transom to bow in a straight line), forward steer, powered by a very clean 89 model 40hp Johnson (with receipts from a local dealer for $3k in 2004). It was a VRO, converted to premix, VERY, VERY clean inside - don't know what work was done on it but for $3k maybe reco????. Anyway I took a guy who has tinkered with motors for 20yrs who I trust who was also impressed with it when looking. It sits on a 2004 model Brooker 134 trailer (rated for 540kg)

My issue is I'd like something a tad bigger & wider, deeper V (my old girls pretty flat), windscreen etc, dont need bells & whistles, just a bit comfier and was hoping to keep motor & trailer.

Few issues:
1. Whats the biggest aluminium you would suggest powering with the 40? From what I've seen around I would say a 4.5 max no more (and then maybe JUST?) Its likely to only be in the wonnie, georges & port hacking rivers, never outside, only likely to ever have 2 men, battery, petrol, basic fishing gear.
2. The trailer is the type of setup with rear wobble rollers that overhang the rear of the trailer a tad, and the current boats transom sits pretty flush with the rear roller. Is a slightly longer boat going to overhang too much legally (can't seem to find requirements), or be too bottom heavy on the trailer?
3. Still on the trailer - I've been given a rough weight of 350kg for a 4.5 runabout hull, I assume the weight motor, petrol etc won't bring it over the 540kg rating? (its 190kg to play with for those who don't want to subtract 350 from 540!)

I'm wondering if I might be pushing it a little too much for the 40hp and the smaller trailer to do the upgrade but was hoping if I find the right hull without motor at the right price (quite happy to repaint, carpet, bring back to new) it might be cheap option to get a nice rig for a reasonable price since my initial setup cost me less than 4k.

Any advice appreciated.

Abitfishy.

Camo
08-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Abitfishy, how are ya mate. I had a 40hp on my 4.75m Quintrex Bayhunter back in the mid 90's. It wasn't what you would call a speed machine but it got up on plane alright with two large blokes and all their fishing gear in it. It had a top speed at WOT at about 25-27 knts.

I replaced the 40hp with a 60hp motor and the extra 20hp made a big difference. It would get up to 35knts without any problem at WOT. I've seen a lot of old 15 foot glass boats with 40's, on them as well. The motors are still pushing them ok after 25 or more years. I personally wouldn't go any larger than 4.5 -4.7 metres.

Camo

HarryO
08-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey, bitfishy.

While reading your post, couldn't help thinking that
maybe you might be better off selling that package
and getting something around 4.8 with a 60 or 70.

Don't know your financial situation, so that may not
be an option.

Upgrading the dehaviland (almost flat bottom) to
something more comfortable (deeper vee) is going
to affect the performance more noticeably with your
older engine.

Food for thought, anyhow.

Harry

abitfishy
08-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I didn't really buy the thing with the intention of upgrading the hull, and generally this 4.3 could easily do with a only 25 or 30hp for the river, but I thought since it came with the 40 it might do to get an upgrade a bit cheaper than buying a package, and also a bit easier to accomplish via the Minister of Finance - she's unlikely to let me upgrade so soon.

I'm also wondering if its even worth it since I can't really buy something too much bigger - seems a lot of hassle swapping motors, setting up steering, possibly refurbishing another old boat depending upon comdition for a what really isn't a huge upgrade.

Bit of a bummer. I was lucky to find an old trustworthy hull with good motor and good trailer but still at a good price. I'd still only get just under $4k for it (I would hope), which is a bit of a jump in $$$ to get to a decent 460/480 with a 60 or 70hp - there are a lot around but they all seem to be less than 5 years old and $15-$20k (things like Bermuda 480 Island Shore/Stacer Easy Rider etc.).

I guess older decent aluminium runabout hulls that have been more recently repowered are around, but seem to be few and far between. If I wanted a fibreglass 1/2 cab or something there are tonnes under $10k, but still want an aluminium for weight/hardiness, ease of launching etc

Might just have to keep my eyes open and see if something happens to come up.

Thanks again fellas!

Abitfishy