PDA

View Full Version : trihulls/ cathedrals

Deiter
08-08-2006, 11:54 AM
g'day all,

i am currently looking at getting a new boat and i am wondering if many of you have owned or do own one of these Aussie Whaler type hulls.

i want it for fishing the bay and a bit offshore. i generally am not afraid of the rough stuff and like to go out (and catch more fish!) when most boaties are giving it a miss. Would also be taking the family out, so a bit of a cab for the kids to kip in would be good.

i expect they would be pretty stable at rest, but it is the ride i am interested in, and to a lesser extent fuel economy.

looking about the 18foot bracket to give you an idea.

also, i have seen alloy ones advertised, any pros/ cons of these performance-wise over glass?
anything else i should know?

i expect some manufacturers hulls would be better than others too, so if you have anything to offer, spit it out. :)

cheers n' beers,
Damo

serene_lady
08-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Damo. I have had a a few trips on tri hulls and the ride is usualy very g ood . They dont need a lot of power to get them up, the 32ft Hydrofoil I have been in only had a 160 hp Fiat stern-drive and a 16 ft boat I have used only had a 25 hp outboard and both went quite well. They are stable and quite good on fuel but the biggest drawback they have is that there very noisy when they are at anchor, even with small chop, especially ones with cabs, I have had a couple of nights in the 32 ft anchored up and you could not stay in the cab for the noise, but other than that I think they are a good sea worthy boat.. Bob.

jimbo1
10-08-2006, 12:02 AM
How you going I have just purchased in the last few months a ocean whaler 565 tri hull. Same deseign as the aussie whaler, made here in wa. Mine is a centre console and is brilliant. I only have a 90hp 2st on mine and it has top speed at WOT of aprox 36 knots. Completely stable at rest and on the move, everyone that has been on it is amazed at how well they ride. And I dont beleive they are noisey at all, mine is completely foam filled so it cuts out most of the noise.
I have seen the aussie whaler cab versions and i think they look brilliant and are well worth the money. The only thing I am trying to get used to is docking the boat and judging the way I come in at the jetty with the sqaure front. I have clipped the pillons a couple of times after miss judging the angle, live and learn.

James

Smithy
10-08-2006, 09:31 AM
re: glass v alloy tris? A couple of alloy ones I know of spend a lot of time getting welded up. There is a lot of pressure in the tunnel as you can imagine.

I think tris tend to get even more tunnel slap than cats. Sandman from this site is running an Aussie Whaler. Ask him about it. It is a complaint I have heard about the big Lifestyles and the Eagle Rays. The old Hydrofields are held in high regard. New ones seem to have a chequered history as the company behind them gets a bit of bad PR every now and again by disgruntled customers on the net. A guy I knew with a Hydrofield used to say "when the monos are going home the cats are thinking about it and when the cats are going home the tris are thinking about it."

Deiter
10-08-2006, 09:09 PM
thanx for the input Bob, James, and Smithy, now i am completely stumped. :o

nobody who has any experience on them seems to have a mediocre opinion on them, its either really good or really bad.

i guess the way they handle offshore conditions is the most important thing i am concerned with, particularly in testing conditions.
that and bar crossings, although i realise that it is more skipper-skill than boat shape. i just don't want anything with a nasty surprise.

for instance, i have heard some people say that cats are dangerous, but the ones i have ridden in have been absolutely magic in less than ideal conditions.

would i be better off in a equal size tinnie? i know there is always a boat that is going to handle it better, but i don't have mega-bucks to take my pick of new boats.

If i was looking at an 18foot platey, would i be dissapointed with the ride in an aussie whaler?
too many questions, i know. #

still wondering....
damo

p.s. i will have to get hold of Sandman me thinks, and pick his brain. :)

jimbo1
11-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Best thing to do is go to a yard find one and get them to take you out for a test ride, I assure you that you wont be dissappointed with a whaler but!!!

James

Sandman
11-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Damo,
Have sent you a PM , Smithy has some points there ... Not sure what the smaller whalers are like as well i believe the first series 1 had some difficulties with turning.
The new design is certainly a good ride and some of the problems from the past have been resolved . Go for it but am happy to take you out for a test , pound the bay etc.
Mick