PDA

View Full Version : Boat Rego stickers not waterproof

moondancer
14-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Read somewhere in the last week that a number of people have had their boat rego sticker come off in the water - was running back to the ramp this morning when I saw mine fly off the bowsprit , and over my windscreen into the drink - long gone! Mate of my sones lost how off his little tinny.

Is there a know problem with this years batch of stickers?

Does anyone know if you can order another on the net?

Lawry

thedeckie
14-08-2006, 03:07 PM
MD,
Put mine on a couple of months ago and so far so good.

You must have your rego numbers in a funny place for the sticker to fly off the bow sprit,I was under the assumption that the boat's rego sticker needed to be in the vicinity of the rego numbers....maybe Im wrong and Im sure I will be told if Iam.

Cheers

Paul

Murks
14-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Larwy,
I have mine in one of those plastic covers you see for trailer use. I was approached by the Water Police a few weeks ago on Moreton and they said that it was fine to have it displayed this way.
Brett

Blackened
14-08-2006, 03:14 PM
G'day
Yes, there was a problem with the stickers. There was a thread a little while back in regards to this. Just ring up queensland transport (if you're boats rego is a QLD one of course) and the will send a new one out for free. You can also fill out a form on their website.
Dave

Lone_Wolf
14-08-2006, 03:47 PM
MD,

My skipper was only whinging to me this morning that he is on his 4th sticker this year. Yes there is a problem, they just won't admit it. Plastic covers is a good idea given the environment it has to be exposed to.

LW

moondancer
14-08-2006, 03:50 PM
thanks folks. Have re-ordered a replacement on-line - good tip Brett!

lawry

favourite_whiting
14-08-2006, 03:53 PM
:) Hi all,
Our club's boat rego sticker did came off of the club's boat. Got other one for free and decided to place it in plastic cover like trailers/motorbikes. Placed at the back left of the boat. And glued the plastic cover on the boat with the opener free and put a small lock at the top. No problems afterwards.
Happy life of fishing,
Hobbywhitings ;)

Louis
14-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Well that explains it.

I too have lost a couple to the sea.

Louis

madmix
14-08-2006, 09:24 PM
They know there is a problem,
ordered new one over phone and jokingly said maybe this one will
last a bit longer.
Reply "Don,t hold your breath"

cruiser42
15-08-2006, 09:27 AM
The fisheries stopped us not to long ago and asked us were our rego sticker was,being the second time in the water i told her that it is on the side down the back only put it on 2 weeks prior.No not there she said, ;D well blow me down she was wright.She told me it would be fine to put it up high on the windscreen. So far so good.. Dave 8-)

Poseidon
15-08-2006, 12:21 PM
I too have mine in the plastic style rego holder, no problems.

Regards Cameron.

Jono_SS
15-08-2006, 08:04 PM
funny you mention it - mine went through the dishwasher....

it went in, unopened i.e. still in the envelope.

when i opened the dishwasher, there she was in the bottom filter area. all that remained was the sticker, but it had lost all the blue. rest of the details are there.

anyway, I have stuck it on and so far no probs. I ordered a new one, and now I know why they were interested - they probably thought it had fallen off like a whole lot of others! spare one arrived today, but I'm not sure if I want to stick it on!

seabug
15-08-2006, 08:19 PM
I have found that the plastic rego label holders get brittle very quickly.
So now I have a bit of 4mm perspex ,cut a bit bigger that the label

Drilled a hole in the centre and on the boat.
Pushed a small bolt through the hole in the perspex,then through the label and attach to boat.

The perspex lasts far better than the plastic labels.
Regards
seabug

haggis
16-08-2006, 06:51 PM
put new rego sticker on yesterday
came off sometime today while chasing fish
around choochie .
second sticker this month .................
cheers fae haggis ................ >:(

StevenM
16-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Yep I am waiting for my second replacement blue one