PDA

View Full Version : Short Boat Ramps

jeffrey_h
17-08-2006, 09:38 PM
We were launching a boat at the Colmslie boat ramp (Brisbane QLD) recently at LOW tide when the trailer fell off the end of the ramp with quite a thud. There was no damage to the trailer or boat, which was now floating.

There were no signs up to warn the boaties of this,
I will be complaining to the council tomorrow. >:(

Just thought others might want to know.

Does anybody know of other ramps like this?

New to boating

Jeffrey 8-)

Blackened
17-08-2006, 10:04 PM
G'day
Yep.... I've seen guys there at colmslie have ALOT of trouble getting the trailer back onto the ramp after falling off the end. There are a few around like this, but I haven't discovered them lately as my boat doesn't require me to go too far in.
Dave

Bundy_Burp
17-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Yes there are still too many ramps around the bay like the one at colmslie people have complained for quite awhile now but the council doesnt seem to be doing very much to fix the situation .

Bundy 8-)

marlinqld
18-08-2006, 05:24 AM
isnt there a mark on the pontoon marking the end of the concrete of the ramp? never looked but been told that. Will check it out on the weekend and post again.

Mike

Cheech
18-08-2006, 07:39 AM
I think you will find that a lot are like that. Though you usually only have a problem at dead low. I sink my trailer a fair amount for driving on, so where possible I plan my return trips to not return at dead low around the full and new moons.

I don't really think it is the councils fault if the lay of the bank means it is too steep to keep the ramp going further out. But I suppose some signs or a marker of where the end of the ramp is would be a good idea there with the pontoon. Most ramps though do not have a pontoon so a bit hard to mark. Or maybe if they added a lip some how to the end to stop the wheels from going further down.

HiRAEdd
18-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Years ago we had this problem at the Cabbage Tree Creek ramp. It was dead low and whilst bring the boat onto the trailer, the F100 started to slide back on the slippery ramp. The trailer dropped over the edge. We spent an hour trying to get the thing out again and eventually had to reply on a 4WD to assist in pulling the truck and trailer clear.

BrandonH
18-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Cabbage Tree Creek is still a little doggy at low:( dosn't worry me cause i only have a 3.75mtr tinny ;D ;D but i have seen some interesting things there!! What about clontarf boat ramp? no drama of falling off the end i know but how the hell people in anything over 14' get outa that bay at dead low... They really need to do something about some of the ramps around Brisbane.

cheers
Brandon...

gunna
18-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Learned my lesson a few years back in Ballina when the mate walked around the back of the trailer with the boat and stepped into 4ft of water off the end of the ramp. I was very lucky I hadn't taken the trailer that bit further. Since then I have always walked down all new ramps if its low tide to make sure there is not a problem.

Blackened
18-08-2006, 10:09 AM
G'day
The ramp at colmslie has markings on the pontoon to signal where the end of the ramp is.
Dave

seatime
18-08-2006, 10:12 AM
isnt there a mark on the pontoon marking the end of the concrete of the ramp? never looked but been told that. Will check it out on the weekend and post again.

Mike

out along the pontoon on the handrail, you'll notice a centre vertical piece of the handrail has been painted red, this lines up with the bottom of the ramp.

rgds

jeffrey_h
18-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I did complaint to the BCC today and they will get back to me ::)

Gelsec, if there is a mark there we of course didn't see it or would have realised the red post was the end marker, it's obvious now, thanks.

Will check all ramps now near low water.

While looking I found the list of all Bris. ramps at

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:STANDARD:1912276741:pc=PC_1840
and Redlands at
http://www.more2redlands.com.au/more2/Explore/Leisure_Attractions/Boat+Ramps/
as well as jetties

Thanks Guys

Jeffrey

SgBFish
18-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Brandon you are right about Clontarf ramp. Not only has it silted up but it mud and as soft as flour and smelly.
The council needs to get in there with a big excavator at low tide and go berserk.
Might give thema call.

Homer_Jay
18-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I seen an interesting one played out last year. While I was sitting at the coastguard ramp at Mooloolaba eating my lunch, the QLD maritime guys came back in thier big sharkcat i am guessing about 7 metres long. They backed the trailer down the ramp and it went off the end. Now the interesting bit. They tow this thing with about a 7 tonne Isuzu truck that is four wheel drive. So they try to pull it out (no boat on the trailer) and this thing just sat there, so they put it in 4WD low range and had about 5 or six goes at it. The truck was actually bouncing up and down as all 4 wheels would spin. I couldnt belive that they couldnt get it back up. Then with an almighty bang they broke the hitch. I am not sure what actually broke as i wasnt going to go over.
Next thing....... theres three guys all on mobile phones trying to get a crane. I had to leave just as the crane turned up.

Interesting to watch but glad it wasnt me.

SeaHunt
18-08-2006, 04:57 PM
But I suppose some signs or a marker of where the end of the ramp is would be a good idea there with the pontoon. Most ramps though do not have a pontoon so a bit hard to mark. Or maybe if they added a lip some how to the end to stop the wheels from going further down.

Not hard Cheech, one of the ones at Burrum Heads stops short and they have a rubber speed bump type lip bolted to the end of the ramp.

cruiser42
18-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Brandon you are right about Clontarf ramp. Not only has it silted up but it mud and as soft as flour and smelly.
The council needs to get in there with a big excavator at low tide and go berserk.
Might give thema call.
yes i found out the hard way with clontarf boat ramp.Came in at low tide couldnt get the boat within 20m of the ramp jumped over and went straight down with mud over my knees.After about ten min of strugling to get unstuck i draged the boat to the ramp through the mud,not easy with a 5.4 cuddy.Sent a letter of to harbours and marine as soon as i got home.And they replied that they are to dredge it soon.Saw in last weeks paper calling tenders to start dredging thank god... Dave :)

seatime
18-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Might give thema call.
yes i found out the hard way with clontarf boat ramp.Came in at low tide couldnt get the boat within 20m of the ramp jumped over and went straight down with mud over my knees.After about ten min of strugling to get unstuck i draged the boat to the ramp through the mud,not easy with a 5.4 cuddy.Sent a letter of to harbours and marine as soon as i got home.And they replied that they are to dredge it soon.Saw in last weeks paper calling tenders to start dredging thank god... Dave :)

glad to hear they're going to dredge it, must be because of the new financial year, they're also dredging Toondah Hbr soon.

BrandonH
19-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Good stuff!! I wonder how long it will last :-/ I am sure they use to dredge it quite often.. Anyways good news..

cheers
Brandon...

Obi___Wan
19-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Don't worry about the ramps guys, Power Point Pete is going to fix it all!, thats if you can believe what he has come out with today? I for one don't trust him. it's good to hear that the Clontarf ramp is going to be dredged, it is a discraceOh and by the way Brandon i thought you had to finish the bookcase today?
May The Fish Be With You.