PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake

Grand_Marlin
15-08-2006, 08:04 AM
A client of mine is refitting his boat.

He has a DVD player with the fold out screen that he is going to install.

When looking through the wiring yesterday, he found a green wire that has to be connected to the hand brake :-? (it is a safety concern for cars with the screen mounted in the front so it cant be watched whilst driving - the handbrake must be on to allow the screen to work)

So, the question is ... where do you fit a handbrake on a 773 Haines ?? ;D ;D

Cheers

Pete

henryk
15-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Pete

You are waisting your time trying to source just any handbrake. Esp late model as you will constantly trip over it as you fish!!! :P :P :P :P :P

I suggest an "umbrella type" from the early to mid sixties as it will fit under the dash ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You will, however need to keep the INOX up to it as most were not made of stainless steel. ::) ::) ::) ::)

I'm on fire this morning!! #8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

FNQCairns
15-08-2006, 08:33 AM
It's a wonder the womans lib groups have not been right onto this and all over the media, seems an awfully short teather............. ;) :)

cheers fnq

SeaHunt
15-08-2006, 11:53 AM

So, the question is ... where do you fit a handbrake on a 773 Haines ?? #;D ;D

Cheers

Pete

Its already got one, you will find it on the end of a chain up the front of the boat. ;D ;D

On a serious note is that DVD player rated for marine use?
If you put a car radio in a boat they last about 4 months before they corrode up and stop, from the salt air. :P

SCOTTYGC
15-08-2006, 12:51 PM

Cheers

Pete

Its already got one, you will find it on the end of a chain up the front of the boat. # ;D #;D

If you put a car radio in a boat they last about 4 months before they corrode up and stop, from the salt air. #:P

i have had a cheap car radio in my open tinne for years

and it still works fine

not to sure about a dvd player

scotty

Dirtysanchez
15-08-2006, 02:31 PM
You should be able to just hook it up to a positive 12v I reckon..

DVD on a boat ? bloody luxury.. No time to fish, I'm watching the Godfather boxed set Luvvy !

Hey Scotty, I agree, I had a STD radio cassette on my 1st boat, on the dash and it got hosed and rained on for years. One day for a laugh my mate put a tape in expecting to lose it, and it played fine

;D

fishingnottake
15-08-2006, 02:46 PM
would it just be an earth thing? how does it tell it's connected to the handbrake and the handbrake is on?

garpe
15-08-2006, 03:00 PM
He could just go inside and ask her if it's neccessary.

Dirtysanchez
15-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Well the handbrake in the car should trigger a switch which then lights up the light on your dashboard to say it is on, basically which is why I speculated that a nominal 12v+ connection should bypass it. All the DVD player would be looking for would be a small voltage on the line coming from the switch to say the brake is on

Could be negative rail in which case it would be obviously negative 12v. but most cars are positive nowdays I think.

Pity there isn't a wiring diargram.. maybe put the model number into google and see what comes up ? :-?

HarryO
15-08-2006, 04:26 PM
[quote author=Grand_Marlin/ A client of mine is refitting his boat.

Cheers

Pete[/quote]

Pete,
......ON THE TRAILER!..... ;) ;) :)

SeaHunt
15-08-2006, 04:40 PM

Cheers

Pete

Its already got one, you will find it on the end of a chain up the front of the boat. # ;D #;D

If you put a car radio in a boat they last about 4 months before they corrode up and stop, from the salt air. #:P

i have had a cheap car radio in my open tinne for years

and it still works fine

not to sure about a dvd player

scotty

On my last boat I had a car radio, stopped working one day so I pulled it to bits and every exposed copper surface had that green corrosion powder stuff all over it, was cmpletely rooted. :o
With my current boat I bought a marine radio/cd player on sale from supercheap, four marine speakers as well, just have not got around to installing it yet. err that was nearly 3 years ago, still in the box , maybe I should sell it. :-/

2iar
15-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Might not be such a bad idea for those high speed turns :o

Good luck,
Mike

Grand_Marlin
15-08-2006, 08:07 PM
G'day Mike,

It would also be very useful for quick stops (before the reef !)

Thanks everyone for the entertaining answers ;D ;D ;D

Dirty Sanchez has the correct answer ;)
So, therefore you just connect it to 12v to over ride it.

It is illegal to over ride it in a car, so as people cant watch tv while driving.

It was just funny - if you could have seen the look on the blokes face when he read that it had to be connected to a hand brake ;D ;D ;D He really didnt know, so i led him along with some hand brake suggestions ... but I did tell him that it would be hell expensive to install :D

I think he was considering taking it back !

Cheers

Pete

Dirtysanchez
16-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Nice one Grand Marlin, I hope you hit his wallet with both Barrels
Prolly took you what, 20 minutes to install !!

LMAO !! ;D ;D

timbacutta
18-08-2006, 06:42 PM
The handbrake is up the front, another name for the anchor. ::) Hope the green wire is long enough. ;D ;D

Jeff.

ShaneJ
18-08-2006, 06:52 PM
The answer to the question is to earth the wire.
In a car when the handbrake is on, the handbrake switch is earthed.

troy
19-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Pete,
Cannot see any reason why you would need a hand brake on your boat as it only does 10 mph now.
Why Pete Why. ;D ;D ;D
Troy

Grand_Marlin
19-08-2006, 06:10 PM
I can always rely on you for moral support Troy :D

Cheers

Pete 8-)

jim_farrell
19-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I thought a HH was a hand brake.
Just kidding mate.
ShaneJ is on the money.