PDA

View Full Version : I've been wondering about something.....

Stumpy-USA2
17-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Do you guys run into professional jerks on the water. It seems to me that fishing has almost become a contact sport, at least over here it has. You can turn on the T.V. any morning you want and find a fishing show. Some of the personalities you see on these shows act like they need to be taken out behind the barn and taught a lesson. Whats worse is that the common weekend angler is starting to act just like them, as if fishing is a life or death sport. I'm not trying to give all of our fishermen a bad name because there are far more good guy left than there are jerks. But the jerks leave a more lasting impression.
I guess I'm just ranting because of what happened this past weekend. I was at Lewis Smith Lake near my home in Alabama fishing for bass. I stopped to fish a row of boat houses on my way up the lake when a man pops out from behind one and just starts cursing. I had no idea he was there and told him as much. I put my rod down and offered to leave the area but this wasn't good enough for him, not by a long shot. He rather sternly told me that he was fishing in a tournament for cash and therfore he owned the rights to the entire area of lake that he could see. He also told me that I needed and attitude adjustment. Now me being me, at 6'-2" and 240lbs., I didn't take it too well. Before I knew it we were within just a few seconds of all out war. Over an honest mistake! I hadn't even made a cast.
Has anything like this ever happened to you? What would you have done? Is money really starting to ruin the sport we love?
Sometimes it makes me wish things were the way they were before T.V. got its hands on it!

Stumpy

Stumpy-USA2
17-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Sorry guys I meant to put this in the general chat section!

bassfanatic5
17-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Stumpy i don't think it's only happening in fishing i think you get it in every sport these days. I have come accross the odd bit of this boat rage but most people are fairly easy going in the comps i have fished. #It comes back to the old saying # money brings out the worst in people. # Most people i know fish the comps for the friends made and the good times had, if you win a prize it's a bonus.

seatime
17-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Hi stumpy,

It seems to me some of the 'road rage' mentality has washed over to boating and fishing in general.
Competitiveness has always been a part of fishing in my experience. I can remember 30 yrs ago standing shoulder to shoulder on a jetty at the height of bream season. Our parents would send us kids to save a spot in the afternoon, hours before the tide, and we'd all fish till late at night.
But I don't remember any fisticuffs, mostly jostling for position.

As you say however, the idiots are thick on the ground nowadays. It doesn't appear to be a geographical problem either.
Put it down to overcrowding and just plain selfishness.
I don't know about the money issue here, I don't fish tournaments, though there is every chance money could become a issue if we follow your trends. I don't watch much fishing TV, I'd rather not put myself thru the agony some of the TV presenters create for me. :)

that's my take anyway,
regards.

ahoj
17-08-2006, 10:59 AM
yeahh------- and let the stupid SOD stew in his own anger middle finger up and drive away

Ahoj

ps thats if your boat is faster then His lol :D

Argle
17-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Maybe thats why all those American Bass boats are so quick ;D

Cheers and Beers
Scott

finding_time
17-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Stumpy

Because he went of for no reason just an innocent mistake, i think i might have picked up my rod , put a big smirk on my face and calmly cast right into the spot he was fishing!! ;)

It's the only way arrogant people will learn.

If he had said nothing i would have moved away as quietly as possible after all first in best dressed!! ;)

Ian

Ps. On reflection being the states i think the flack jacket first then the rod!! ;D ;D

blaze
17-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I my view its all about
GREED
we want it now or sooner
we want the best and its gota be new
we want the best fishing spot
etc, etc

take time to smell the roses
except what you have
enjoy life
cheers
blaze

fish2eat
17-08-2006, 01:32 PM
I know Americans like to export their brand of culture and democracy to the rest of the world, but its OK, we don't want that type of behaviour here, thanks anyway

madmix
17-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey there stumpy,
sounds like you had better add some armour plating to that rig of yours,
I,m sure your rig would stil fly with the extra weight.

cheers Mick

1975fflh
19-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi
You know i was down at Lake Illawarra last night a bit of a rush job to get in before dark, finally got to the ramp and an old bloke and his tinnie coming in and a group of asian men going out, What a sight the asian guys took 14 attempts to reverse straight back 20 meters, the old guy got the shits big time and reversed straight down past them put his boat on gave some fatherly advice (without the clip in the ear) and left.
The asian guys jack knifed twice more with the boat and trailer half in the water then parked on a pile of weed and gotr stuck.
Now whilst funny for 10 minutes I was there to go fishing and was still waiting but rather than get the shits I done what any good Aussie would do, I moved the weed from the wheels told them to pull it forward while me and two of the jumped on the back of the ute they were using then they couldnt get the boat off as it was on skids not rollers so then I helped push it off.

Maybe if we all just lent a hand to others that are struggling we would get the shits and the ones that are having trouble would be able to learn from those that are helping them.

The guy that was in the fishing comp is a ###### nothing can help them except multiple dunkings from differing people.