PDA

View Full Version : Boat paint

troy
12-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Is Luxathane 2 pack paint okay for painting my tinny.
Was going to use Automotive 2 pack but was quoted $350.00 plus hardener.
Purchased a Single pack etch primer ,thinners and Ally bright but if i use the Auto motive 2 pack it is becoming expensive for a tinny.
Thanks
Troy

BaysideMarine
12-08-2006, 08:25 PM
What colour are you painting it? If you are using white 2K then here in Melb a 7ltr kit of white 2K (4ltrs paint, 2ltrs hardener and 1ltr thinner) is $100.

Cheers,

Nicholas

Mr__Bean
12-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Nick,

If painting in Melbourne I take it that would be low temp thinners. ;D ;D ;D ;D

- Darren

Heno
12-08-2006, 10:33 PM
G'day Troy,$350 + hardener.. :o. that sounds a bit much to me. Recently picked up 4lt white part A & B of undercoat & top coat + ali brite + 4L thinners in Townsville for less than $200 + a few other bits & pieces.

troy
13-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Heno,
What type of paint did you buy.
I asked for 2 pack auto paint as i was told by members on this site not to use enamel.
I am not to far away from you so i could pick some up.
Thanks.
Troy

troy
13-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Sorry to be a pain but do you think it is necessary to paint the bottom.
It is a 3.90 ally craft.
The reason i am asking this is that i see brand new tinnies painted but not the bottom.
Troy

BaysideMarine
13-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Bravo Darren!! :P

Yep, its real hard to stop the spray from freezing as it exits the gun....... ;D

Cheers

troy
13-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Lot of help boys,
Troy :o

blaze
13-08-2006, 12:29 PM
from a mug amauture
the poluathane paints for marine use are more designed for boats moored in the water all the time.
2 pak for vehicles comes in a variety of grades.
my personel choice would be a FLEET grade 2 pak auto paint which is one of the cheaper ones but not the cheapest.
etch primer only needs to be misted on, not a heavy coat
now prime with the primer that is suitable for the top coat
now 2 + coats of paint
I love unpainted tinnies as its less maintance and they get there own coat of protection
cheers
blaze

Seahorse
13-08-2006, 12:53 PM
troy,
go the full auto 2:1 mix. 4litres straight white should be around $120 and 2 litres hardener $50.
I have allowed for bit extra up your way. Down here in bris 6 litre pack would cost $150.
If tinnie is in good nick give it 2 good coats of a super etch primer, give light sand to get out shit then 2 coats 2 pac.
where r u exactly in n/q? let me know and i will see if the paint company whos' paint i distribute here in bris has an outlet up there.
I know the paint rep very well, who does the northern trip regularly.

cheers
greg

Seahorse
13-08-2006, 12:54 PM
luxathane is dulux industrial paint. dont use.

blaze
13-08-2006, 01:06 PM
hi greg
is that the fleet one I talked about, price sounds about right

Heno
13-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Taking the sales person's word this is what was supplied to me..... Hope it's the right stuff.

troy
13-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks Blaze.
Seahorse i am in the Burdekin Nth Qld and Ayr is where the main shops are.
Thet Quoted me $350.00 Just for the 2 pack Auto paint for 4 litres.
I purchsaed the 4 litres os sinle pack siper etch and Ally Bright plus thinners but did not buy the Auto paint because of the price.
Thanks for your trouble.
Troy

Seahorse
13-08-2006, 05:12 PM
troy i will call the paint rep in the morning, see what i can do.
Heno, i know the paint u have. Its the paint theuse in bris to paint stessco boats. Mate of mine had his shogun painted in jotun and started to peel off in sheets.
blaze i can sell full auto white for $100 per 4litre all day. Its just some paint companies try to rip ya.

cheers
greg

Heno
13-08-2006, 05:40 PM
:'( :'( :'(...... hope it's not a common thing with this paint... :-/

BaysideMarine
13-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Gee, you banana benders are a bit rich on your paint prices...

As I posted earlier, 4ltrs auto straight white 2K, 2 ltrs hardener, 1 ltr thinners $100......

But your weather is nicer (not really from a painting perspective though due to humidity.....) :)

Cheers

maxwellson
14-08-2006, 04:34 PM
painting being my trade and being in the process of doing up an old tinny (see thread rebirth of tinny) i have no problem with the jotun products. used the pengaurd straight on very clean aluminium 1 coat, then used the jotun hardtop finish coat, mist coat then 1 full coat, very glossy and extremely hard and with excellent wear capabilities. you must let any 2 pak infuse for 15 or so minutes after mixing, stir again then pour into gun. with any painting the preperation is critical, surface must be very clean and dry. as i said i have full confidence in the jotun products having used them for years

seatime
14-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Agree with you there maxwellson, I've used a few Jotun paints in a variety of marine applications and never had a problem. If the paint comes off in sheets, it may be the preparation not the paint. :)

jimbo59
14-08-2006, 06:13 PM
He probably used a MR SHEEN cleaning rag as a prepsol wiper ;)

troy
14-08-2006, 07:31 PM

As I posted earlier, 4ltrs auto straight white 2K, 2 ltrs hardener, 1 ltr thinners $100......

But your weather is nicer (not really from a painting perspective though due to humidity.....) :)

Cheers
Bayside,
I see you are a newcomer to this site and so far your attitude is not great.
We might be banana benders but we offer people advise and try to help each other.
So tell me what #type of product you purchased for $100.00.
Troy
And no mention of the primer ::)

Seahorse
14-08-2006, 07:38 PM
hi troy,

i tried that paint rep today but he was out bush and couldnt raise him. I will call him tomorrow and hopfully have some info for u tomorrow.
The paint which came off was painted in a work shop and i asked the questions today and i believe it was bad batch primer.
it was a professional boat painting business. i do know my facts as iam in that game.

cheers
greg

lippa
14-08-2006, 08:32 PM
what's wrong with polyurethane? i've painted at least a dozen boats with it, and never had a delamanation problem! jotun stuff is allright!i have always used nason, by dupont its an 8-1 polyu. and there ful-poxy primer (epoxy primer) 8 lts of primer and 6 mixed lts of colour is around the 300 mark, ya would paint 2 boats with that amount. i wouldn't recomend painting the bottom, unless it was previously painted.

cheers

lippa

Grand_Marlin
14-08-2006, 09:24 PM
G'day Troy,

Why not use a good thick coat of whitewash??

Cheap, environmentally friendly, easy to apply and no preparation needed ;D

Sorry ... not much help am I :-/

... It must be the drugs ...

As Lippa said, the Dupont range is very good - thats what i used on the Yalta and am using on the Cat.

Cheers

Pete

Mr__Bean
14-08-2006, 10:51 PM

Cheers
Bayside,
We might be banana benders but we offer people advise and try to help each other.
So tell me what #type of product you purchased for $100.00.
Troy
And no mention of the primer ::)

Troy,

In fairness to Bayside, I baited him with a comment about needing quick dry thinners down there in Melbourne. That's why he came back with the Banana Benders comment.

- Darren

phewy
14-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Bayside,

Troy

Troy. You may or may not know, but Nick is a well respected member of another popular site who's input and knowledge regarding boating is second to none. In a very short time there he racked up an award for his efforts in helping people. Relatively new here, but you will soon realize his value as a contributing member. This site will only gain from his involvement. ;)

And his remarks were in jest. ::)

troy
15-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Phewy,
Piont taken and i reacted to comments that were not helping my problem.
Bayside sorry if i offended you.
Troy 8-)

troy
15-08-2006, 05:41 AM
G'day Troy,

Why not use a good thick coat of whitewash??

Cheap, environmentally friendly, easy to apply and no preparation needed #;D

Sorry ... not much help am I #:-/

... It must be the drugs ...

As Lippa said, the Dupont range is very good - thats what i used on the Yalta and am using on the Cat.

Cheers

Pete
Pete with the job i am likely to do it might be safer if i do use white wash.
At least i can wash if off.
Troy ;D ;D ;D

troy
15-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Phoned a Townsville Dealer today and was quoted 4 litres of white marine 2 pack [polly u 400] for $127.30. plus hardner.
Sound the right paint.
Thanks
Troy

lippa
15-08-2006, 07:03 PM
polly u is pretty good, wattyl from memory, i have no experence painting that, but from reports, it go's allright ;) again though it is polyurethane, better check with the critics to see if its allright :-X :-X :-X :-X

cheers

lippa

Seahorse
16-08-2006, 04:55 PM
poly u 400 was the wattyl product. its a 4:1 commerical finish. troy give me ur mobile no and i will find u a dealer in ur area. as i said before, go full auto 2:1 mix.

greg

lippa
16-08-2006, 05:30 PM
why 2-1 "auto" mix seahorse? i'm at a loss to understand the benifits over 2k polyu's. if its the "peel" effect a polyu gives, well on a bost thats gunna get knocked and scratched the peel helps to hide this. what brand do you sugest seahorse? i've applied most in my time as a spraypainter and know the pro's and cons of most of 'em. i've also sold paint comercially and can only recomend what i know.

maxwellson
18-08-2006, 06:07 AM
i used polyy u 400 on my boat (glass) about 8 years ago, it llooks like it came off the gun yesterday very good product. if i had to chose again it would be a toss up between it and the jotun range, but would definately use a 2 pak primer undercoat.
cheers Maxi

phewy
19-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Phewy,
Piont taken and i reacted to comments that were not helping my problem.
Bayside sorry if i offended you.
Troy 8-)
No problem Troy. I'm sure Nick wasn't offended in the slightest. 8-)

ahoj
20-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Troy ---- Just make sure you have a good life and health insurance and protective gear if you going to spraypaint 2 Pack
I used coat of Etch primer --(lightly) then Weatherfast Marine Enamel (modified Polyurethene) and can get extra hardener if you so wish PLUS ITS SAFE need compatible thinners to reduce the thickness I did my with a plastic paint brush 2 coats result? Super and cheap... 35$ a liter any major colours can order special batch.. and its shiny and colour is fast non fading Don't know in 5 years -- but then one can use a bit of baby oil