PDA

View Full Version : stainless on trailer ?

emuparkpete
20-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi all, all this talk about trailers....I feel lucky to own an older type than some of these new ones you guys are talkin about. However, it is time to update some accessories and i was thinking about going the stainless roller pins etc. These cost more than I expected, any experience with these eg. how long they last ??
Ta fellas. Pete.

a_big_red_1
20-08-2006, 06:38 PM
hi Pete, i really have'nt had my trailer that long to answer your Q.. but so far the S/S pins are great...the guy that built my trailer is a mate so i made the pins myself out of 316 stainless rod... the hardest bit was drilling the holes...i think i broke 3 drill bits :-/

Daz

emuparkpete
20-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks Daz, might look into that option.
Pete.

Blackened
20-08-2006, 08:19 PM
G'day
If its 316 stainless you're using which is the stuff you should be for a marine environment, they will outlive the trailer well and truly.
Dave

maxwellson
21-08-2006, 06:20 AM
stainless roller pins are the way to go. have had them on mine for ages, a spray of lanox or similar occasionally and no probs. i spray mine just before i put the boat back on at the ramp, i use the lanox because it is more enviromentally friendly (so they say).

cheers Maxi

blaze
21-08-2006, 07:46 AM
I find 304 stainless the best for trailer pins, I believe it is more malable (sp), easier to drill and less brittle if that mays sense. May not last as long but will still see the trailer out.
cheers
blaze

Grand_Marlin
21-08-2006, 08:24 AM
G'day Guys,

I replace a lot of roller pins for people - 316 stainless as it doesnt tarnish as easily and therefore doesnt create friction or stiff rollers.

I use silicone sparay on the pins, as it sheds water and doesnt allow residue from salt to build up inside the roller.

I also replace a lot of bolts that are rusted ... notice they use cheap cadmium plated bolts, not stainless or gal?

Once you buy your 316 pins, you have them forever. The most you will ever have to do is remove them every few years, clean any salt off them with a scouring pad, re silicone spray them and put them straightr back in.

If you need them, I can cut and drill the pins to any length you need.

Cheers

Pete

Gazza.Boyne
21-08-2006, 12:01 PM
When you guys are talking roller pins is that the same as roller spindles/shafts?

Other question is Lanolin grease OK for lubrication between roller & pin/shaft/spindle?

Cheers Gazza.

bin_lookin
21-08-2006, 04:23 PM
just did mine aswell used stainless tring the new yalio alloy self centre keel rollers this time just to compare with the blue pollies that were on it .used them a few times good so far .

emuparkpete
21-08-2006, 04:52 PM
I'd like to pay you all for your good advice.......but then i wouldnt be able to pay for my new stainless pins. Thanks so much guys, Pete.