PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise from my new transducer ??????

Great_White
21-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Hi , just did an install (myself) on a Navman Tracker 5500 and Fish 4500. Took out for a cruise and recon Sunday and noticed a non stop ticking noise coming from the transducer.

Noise is quite loud and have never had any sounds come from any of my other boats transducers. It does it in and out of the water, cant't be good for fishing.

Your thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks Peter :(

FNQCairns
21-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I have no experience with those brands you mention, although over 20years of using sounders I have heard the ticking very often sometimes if all is real quiet it can be a little bit distracting but never a problem has originated from it, I consider it normal operation. Seems to be worse when it ups wattage if it has lost ground etc, mostly I just ignore it these days.

cheers fnq

Pedro
21-08-2006, 09:37 AM
I have at times noticed if I have left my sounder on the school of fish that I have anchored up on do not bite. If you turn it off a wait a while they start to pay interest.
I run a 1kw.

Blackened
21-08-2006, 10:06 AM
G'day
Pete, I installed a Navman Trackfish 6500 into the rellies steber. We have had the same experiance, The audible noise is really really loud but only at 50khz, 200 and it's non existant. I don't know how to get rid of it, but it may be worth calling navman themselves.
Dave

Great_White
21-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks again Dave , for answering this question as well as the advise on the fuel tank :)

Will try it out on the 200 khz and see if that fixes it, but manual said keep it on 50 khz if fishing shallow water.

Peter ;)

PADDLES
21-08-2006, 02:33 PM
don't sounders use ultrasonics to work? basically they send a pulse out and wait for the echo. hence the old name of echo sounder. i'd say it's normal to be able to hear a ticking noise out of it.

Hooker1
21-08-2006, 03:56 PM
The clicking noise is normal. It is more noticable out of the water. In the water the sound should be muffled a bit.
"Echo sounding is based on the principle that water is an excellent medium for the transmission of sound waves and that a sound pulse will bounce off a reflecting layer, returning to its source as an echo. The time interval between the initiation of a sound pulse and echo returned from the bottom can be used to determine the depth of the bottom. An echo-sounding system consists of a transmitter, a receiver that picks up the reflected echo, electronic timing and amplification equipment, and an indicator or graphic recorder".

Fishin_Dan
21-08-2006, 04:46 PM
I've noticed that Navman's do it more than other sounders. If you put your hand under the transducer you should be able to feel the pulses in time with the clicks too...

And you shouldn't need to use 50 either... 200 will suffice ;)

Great_White
21-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks all, I contacted Navman today and they said it was normal as well. It's just so loud and as I mentioned in my earlier post #all my other sounders were not as noticeable.

Thanks Again Peter :)

ShaneJ
21-08-2006, 07:00 PM
The clicking noise is the crystal within the transducer oscillating. This is normal for cheap and nasty crystals.
Solution? Tell the manufacture they are a bunch of cheap pricks and they should at least spend an extra 20c on a half decent crystal :)