Deelirious
19-08-2006, 08:17 PM
*%&(&^%(*%*(^%(&*^%*^&%

Deelirious
19-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Another angle of the beauty!

ShaneJ
19-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Yep I have also had it with boat trailers.
Nothing but a Belco for me next time!

Spaniard_King
19-08-2006, 08:25 PM
I had to rebuild my redco sportsman after 3 years, regaled it and did a complete rewire...not there way..but my way ::)

Garry

Heno
19-08-2006, 08:55 PM
The use of those clips is common practice with most box and cage trailers but on a boat trailer...... :o.
No other explanation except lazyness .

isaac
19-08-2006, 09:20 PM
But will it still get us to Fraser next month? ;D ;D ;D

mickey7
20-08-2006, 06:41 AM
I have a sealink and not happy,when it was only a few months old i went north for easter only to end up on the side of the road cause they had not packed the bearing's with grease.Sealink sent two blokes up to repair they replaced 4 disc hubs and bearing's as well as an axle etc all with a shifter as the other tools they were provided with by the boss didn't fit,9 hours later we were on our way again but by this time the weekend was well and trully stuffed.
Thanks for the photo's Deelight as i now know why i have to replace the clearance lights as i have allready had to replace the tail lights.There is also some area's where the galvanizing has'nt taken there explanation is that's normal but i know that it is because its not been cleaned properly before being sent to the galvanizers.they doen't seem to have much quality controll,this trailer cost me $8600.00 and is still in warranty.

camsharkman
20-08-2006, 07:09 AM
I'm getting a sea-link trailer with my new boat later in the year. Thanks for the heads up it'll be something to look forward to won't it ::)
The last boat I brought had trailer dramas when it was new too - Dunbier. Looks like it may be 2 in a row :D

dave22
20-08-2006, 09:05 AM
SEALINK TRAILERS ARE JUST AN INFERIOR PRODUCT, PLAIN AND SIMPLE

14 MONTH OLD TRAILER

1. Lights stuff up consistently

2. Jockey wheel collapsed first week, pin was'nt big enough to lock in, ( missed foot by cm's ) great QC !

3. Half inch spurs on just about every link in safety chain, fist time hooked up when right under thumb

nail. ( petty I know, but when you buy new you expect better, should have been rubbed back IMO )

4. Looked at same trailer and it had more guides, so had to go to Brendale to get what we should

have got in the first place, only to get a reply from the guy there that it would'nt make that much

difference to retrieving. ( WELL IT DID )

5. Winch cable had to be relaced after very first use of the boat due to cable having burrs.

6. Had a Mackay previously and i just can't stop kicking myself in the head for for being such a

####head, CHALK AND CHEESE !

6. last of all we had a bolt missing from winch post.

Your probabbly thinking little things, but collectively it was/is a pain in the arse, and on the towing

front the Mackay was heaps better, this thing makes more noise than the Space Shuttle.

Chris_Riethmuller
20-08-2006, 09:09 AM
It's not just sealink that does it, my redco had the same. I don't think they care as long as it lasts 12 months.
rgds Beefa

Deelirious
20-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the moral support guys, misery loves company. Yup I also had to replace the winch wire. I was expecting to do this eventually since most winch wires get burrs but not this soon. I have used nylon sheathed spectra rope. It is much better than the flat spectra "boat winch" cables you buy. It is protected from the sun by the nylon, it is round so it winds on and off the winch drum perfectly with no binding and it is sooo good for launching and retrieving by yourself because you can hold onto it as you walk back to the winch when retrieving, keeping the boat on the keel roller.

Another few gripes and I'm done. The roller pins have all rusted and bound up inside the rollers - mild steel.
I was thinking about my original comments on the springs - "I had to replace them for no reason" - was not correct. the reason I had to replace them was because they BROKE, they broke for no reason.

Isaac,
It will get us to Fraser and back but its going to need a full rewire with new LED lights this time. A friend of mine was using Narva waterproof LED and 4/4 filled up with water so I'll probably try hella despite the cost. I've picked up the extension draw bar but will have to get together to work out how to mount it. I would prefer to remove the brakes completely for the Fraser trip they are only going to be usefull for the trip up but will just get in the way up there -I'll have a think about it.

On another note every single nut on the trailer was completely seized from new, including the wheel nuts. In order to get the nuts loose I had to use a 4ft long pipe on a socket extension or wheel brace. This would have been impossible on the side of the road. If I have one tip for anyone worth listening to it's loosen all your wheel nuts on trailer and car (after every service and wheel rotation) and make sure they are free and can be removed by hand with a wheel brace. I put all mine back on with nickle antiseize but thats an optional extra and probably requires them to be checked a little more often. Other than that carry a cross wheel brace and 4ft section of gal pipe on your holidays.

Happy trailering
Ed

chooky
20-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Guys,
I know how you feel or my Dad does at least. First time yesterday we got to finally try our new boat. Went off the U-beaut Redco like a croc down a bank.
Tested the boat and came back in and proceeded to retreive . When we got the boat up we noticed the horizontal support for winch was tearing away from post. Lucky no one was around as Dad would have been arrested for civil disturbance so much for a brand new HD trailer.
NOT HAPPY JAN. >:( :o ::) :-[ :-/

SilvarBack
20-08-2006, 06:03 PM
And yet another
My brand new tandem axel $h!t L!nk trailer was delivered to the factory where my new boat was all but ready to launch!
Had a chance to grease rollers , bearings , winch rope , spray some lanolin all over and wire up some LEDs before the boat was placed on board and roller's set!
So apart from the , let's say normal stuff that you guy's have already covered ERRRRRR!!!!
Have a go at this!
Got it home and frist port of call is to give the wheel's a bit of a shake , as you do , front wheel felt OK , rear wheel NOT SO GOOD.
OK let's try the other side , front wheel good , rear wheel , What The F#*k
So here it is. The rear axel had not been machined enough for the castle nut to turn that extra couple of turns so to allow the split pin to be installed (Not enough hole) So why not just leave the split pin's out all together.
Starboard side was loose but on the port side the castle nut had unscrewed all the way to the bearing buddy , this was the only thing stopping the nut and wheel from departure.
And when you ring them to get some sort of explantion they treat you like it happen's all the time.
I'm just glad i checked before heading 17hrs north with new boat onboard.
I also found out by someone who used to work their that the spring shackels are on up side down & this is why so many spring's have failed
Seem's to be a touchy subject , good call
Cheer's Payney

way_out_bush
20-08-2006, 07:14 PM
My new trailer will be ready at the end of the month. After reading theese post i am glad i went with a Belco.
Regards, Mick

ShaneJ
20-08-2006, 07:28 PM
My new trailer will be ready at the end of the month. After reading theese post i am glad i went with a Belco.
Regards, Mick
Hi mate, where abouts are you located? I wouldn't mind having a look at your Belco after a few trips.

steve_n
21-08-2006, 06:49 AM
I must have been lucky but my sea-link is three years old and never had a problem. Still good as new.
Bearings were a b... to replace but everything else is great.
Maybe it was a Wednesday build.
Steve

Grand_Marlin
21-08-2006, 08:14 AM
It is ironical that the quality issue comes back to bite the people that have unknowingly caused it in the first place.

Due to "competition" and people wanting the best deal on the trailer they buy ... manufacturer's cut corners to stay competitive... just to satisfy us - the consumer.

Our philosophy always seems to be to buy the best deal, and we trust the manufacturers are all putting the same effort and quality in to the trailer for the same discounted price.

Wrong.

Things like:

Chinese Steel - not Australian
Chinese Steel Springs
Cadmium Plated Bolts - not gal or stainless
Cadmium plated roller pins (except for multi rollers)
Cheap quality rollers.
Quality of light fittings.
Quality of winches.
Labour cutting on things like your wiring / connectors. #Scotch clips are 10 times quicker to install that waterproof butt splice joiners.

Ever been offered a double dipped gal trailer? - not likely.

It is possible to make a nearly bullet proof trailer, but it would cost you another (say) 20% or $1500 - $2000 on the cost of a standard trailer.

General public buying pressure says that the more expensive trailers wouldnt sell as well as the standard trailer.

And the few that would pay the extra arent even (or rarely) given the option of doing so.

We fix so many trailers that have problems associated with all these points (and others) but that is another story.

There are alternatives to the "bulk" manufacturers and one person I know in particular that builds an excellent custom made trailer to what ever spec you want.

Sadly, most bulk manufacturers take the same attitude. #There are two that have been mentioned that are better than the rest, but they are still not perfect.

And it is us, the end consumer that gets caught out, with breakdowns, inconvenience, dangerous situations and damage to our boats.

Dont hold your breath, because it isnt about to change in a hurry.

Unless you go custom.

Sorry to hear about your trailer issues, but you are certainly not alone... and I guarantee as this post progresses that all makes will get a mention.

Cheers

Pete

ps - all these comments are obviously directly related to how often you use your trailer, how far you put it in the water and how well you maintain it as well.

Pedro
21-08-2006, 08:29 AM
You are right on the button Grand Marlin. I have just recently taken delivery of my new boat and trailer. I made a specific request for a XXXXXXXXHD trailer even if it cost more as it is cheaper to get it right the first time. Now after my first test run (see Chooky) I have to replace winch support and post and consider beefing up trailer between forward axle group and draw bar coupling as there is a ridiculous bow in the middle.
Pedro

Argle
21-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I may have a Wednesday build Sea link too :-? :o Touch wood no probs so far on a four year old trailer. Have to agree though the trailer bearings were bloody tight to get out but are runing fine. Just get a bigger hammer son ;D ;D ;D. Having said that I have been impressed by the Mackay trailers and would probably look at one of those for my next boat. Pete (grand marlin) makes a good point though, how many of us would buy one type of trailer over the other that "looked" the same if one was cheaper by a significant amount? ::) Come on own up..most of us would :-[ food for thought i reckon.

Cheers and Beers
Scott

haze
21-08-2006, 01:10 PM
I think there are a lot of dealers that have agreements with trailer companies. If you decide to buy a boat from dealer X, they will then in turn match the boat with the right trailer and then use their preferred trailer supplier. There certainly is nothing wrong with that, just be aware as customers as to what trailer is going to be supplied.

SeaHunt
21-08-2006, 04:43 PM
I must have been lucky but my sea-link is three years old and never had a problem. Still good as new.
Bearings were a b... to replace but everything else is great.
Maybe it was a Wednesday build.
Steve

Me too maybe. :-/
Apart from a shit galv job, and half the bolts/nuts not done up tight enough, dunkable lights that only last about six dunkings, it seems reasonable for a cheap trailer. Its coming up to 4 years old , I have not had a look at the bearings.
Last outboard service I asked the guy to check the bearings, he said they were fine :-/

gunna
21-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Yep - probably jinx myself by saying this but my Sea Link 2001 model has been fine. The supposedly submersable lights are always a pain but thats the case with those lights on whatever trailer they are on.

charleville
21-08-2006, 05:37 PM
I have no concerns about my Special trailer which is 4 1/2 years old.

There could not be a more hostile environment for a steel framed anything than that which a boat trailer endures so I simply expect to have to do some regular maintenance such as hosing it off after each outing. It is said that the garden hose is a boat trailer's best friend. With the current water restrictions, my boat's interior and exterior is getting pretty dusty and grubby but I rarely miss hosing the salt out of the trailer and brakes. I used to have a garden sprinkler set up under it and would run that for a while when I got home but obviously that is a no-no currently.

I also repack the bearings every year or so and have sprayed WD40 on exposed parts and in and around the lights, as well as smearing the brake cables with grease. Have just replaced the blue plastic skids but you have to remember that I use the trailer 2 - 4 times each week, even up to six times in one week but that was exceptional (and so was the fishing!) so consumables like plastic skids will need to be replaced every now and then.

In fact, I have often looked at my Special trailer and thought about just how solidly made it is. No complaints from me.

reScuE_RanGEr
21-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Hi Guys

I may as well add my two cents. I have a special trailer under a Poly 4.55 Frontrunner which we purchased in December last year. After about three trips to the boat ramp a month later, half the galvanizing had disappeared. After ringing the dealer who sold me the boat he said it wasnt his problem and I need to take it up with Sealink direct - so much for dealer support! Approximatey 3 emails and 2 phone calls later, Sealink were able to tell me that it was in fact my fault that the galvanizing had gone because I had washed my trailer and put it away in the shed before it had been able to completely dry off. He then went on to give me a quote on getting the trailer redipped!!! I politely advised him of what he could do with his quote and vowed never to purchase another boat from that Redcliffe dealer or any boat that is sitting on a Sealink trailer. And like everyone else, my jockey wheel was crap, the trailer wasnt balanced and the lights stopped working after two trips out.

Gotta love boats!!

Cheers
Steve

lippa
21-08-2006, 09:59 PM
i bought a redco sportsman, i had to tighten every bolt on it before i could go on a trip. after towing 800k's i checked the wheel bearings, they were bloody loose!!!! no probs got tools and grease, removed brake calipers, but one bolt was cross threaded!! i had a tap and die set with me and bodged up a new thread(sort off!) when i contacted the selling dealer, and telling me of my promblem. i had a complete new axle Dust cap to dust cap, brakes and all delivered to me! how's that for customer service!!! all i wanted was a new bolt ant the thread tapped properly!! 4000k's later she's as good as new!

cheers

lippa

Angla
21-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Now that is good service Lippa.

My 2 and a half year old Dunbier is still going well. Have only had to alter the wiring to the correct configuration. Checked the bearings 6 months ago and all is well. There is some surface rust on the springs and the odd trailer part but I am sure that is to be expected. I dunk mine pretty deep to drive the boat on too.

No real complaints here.

Angla

griz066
22-08-2006, 07:01 AM
My 1 yo Redco is doing just fine thank god 8-)

davo
22-08-2006, 07:07 AM
I've got a sealink on my Fisher. I wasn't impressed, it took me two weeks to fix everything from wiring to the tilt before I could use it. My father has a Belco it's much better. Belco next time for me too.

craigie
22-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Have had various trailers under my boats over the years.
Did my best to destroy them if they were not stolen.
Got 6 years out of a Dunbier before I had to trade in for a new one.

My current rig sits on an Easytow Trailer. This one appears to be very good !! No drama so far, still running on the original bearings after nearly 3 years :o :o
Came with Gal axle and springs which was nice.
This one was a touch more expensive than the rest, appears to be money well spent.

blaze
22-08-2006, 03:04 PM
funny really isnt it, did I say that.
Had a fair few boats over the years and apart from one they have all been on homemade/custom made trailers.
The one trailer that I had that was branded was a Dumbier (sp) and I had no props in the time I owned it.
Dont care who makes your trailer there would be a recommendation to check and retighten bolts and a certain amount of maintance is required. Bit like a boat really, always some jobs to do on them.
Now for my homemade trailers
throw a bit of paint at them every couple of years, bit of general maintance and they will go for years (I think modern paint for a trailer is better than a poor galv job)
But what ever you have, dig deep, call it marine then grin and bear it or give it away.
cheers
blaze
ps
most bolts come undo from being done up to tight for a start

charleville
04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I have just Googled Sealink trailers and discovered this old thread to which I had previously contributed. At that stage, I said that my Special/Sealink trailer was then 4 1/2 years old and going fine. Now at 11 years old, it is looking like I might be up for a replacement in the not too distant future but have to say that I have always been very happy with my Sealink and it is only now that the rear members are showing more rust than I would like there to be.

All that I have ever done is to hose the trailer off after use including often running a sprinkler underneath.

Should I be pleased that the trailer has lasted 11 years? Do they last longer? There were years when I used the boat twice every weekend and there were a couple of years when I used the boat five or six times every week.

There was a lot of angst against Sealink in this old thread but perhaps like others, I got a Wednesday trailer rather than a Friday afternoon one.

Darren Mc
04-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi all,

So far my 2012 sea-link trailer is going ok but it is one noisey trailer. At first you could hear me coming from a mile away, now after drowning the springs, brakes and everything i can under it in inox it's not to bad. I'll make this a regular thing in the hope that it's doing it all some good. I also drown the trailer from top to bottom and inside out after every use. I think i use more water washing the trailer than the boat.HAHA..
I did however have to tighten bolts and adjust something's slightly. Also the shit grease they use in the bearings went to liquid in the heat of those hot days we had a while back and proceded to run out of the bearing buddies. Ater seeing this i pumped them full of new nulon high temp grease and so far so good.

Cheers.

grinner2
04-03-2013, 12:55 PM
I have had a sea link trailer since 2001 under my 5.6m ally . Regalved it approx 2 years ago & at the same time replace all of the roller pins with stainless as they were seizing up ,other than that a pretty good run , have towed to Townsville twice & the normal running around local .

MyWay
04-03-2013, 05:28 PM
I got 11 years old sea-link /special trailer under my boat and looks like new.
No problem at all
I'm 2nd owner .
coat of tectrol(spelling could be wrong ) makes big deference

Jarrah Jack
04-03-2013, 06:48 PM
My 2000 mdl Sealink has done very little work in that time. We found two broken springs and patches of internal rust where the gal had fallen off. The rest of it is very good.

mattyd
05-03-2013, 12:03 PM
We got our 2006 Sealink in a package from Australian Marine Centre (Springwood).

When I took ownership a few posters said the trailer setup was all wrong and th axle was too far back (putting too much downwards pressure on the towbar / car).

Well I've never changed it (rather spend the money on maintenance).

Just the usual things, 3 cables, and a $500 hub / brake overhaul from Downes Marine and she's going pretty well. Even after a recent trip from Brisbane to Airlie Beach and back, no worries on the highway.

We've always had an intermittent brake light on the left side, but nothing too dramatic. It gets partially dunked a few times a month and always gets a full hose down after.

SO far so good....

(attached a pic you can see the axle positioning)

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee324/Adama007/n748459010_712366_4082.jpg

Micadogs
05-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I am one the rare ones also, I have had my sea link for three years and not a single issue.

The noise coming from mine is the flip up jockey wheel, rattles a fair bit.

whiteman
05-03-2013, 01:46 PM
My 2002 Special trailer was completely rebuilt late last year - replaced about 60% from the back. It had a few bouts of minor surgery before that.

charleville
05-03-2013, 03:19 PM
My 2002 Special trailer was completely rebuilt late last year - replaced about 60% from the back. It had a few bouts of minor surgery before that.

Was that economically worthwhile compared with buying a new one?

whiteman
06-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Was that economically worthwhile compared with buying a new one?
I think so. $2k vs $4k+ for a new trailer.