PDA

View Full Version : Steering Help Needed PLease!

bogan-blackfish
22-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Hi guys

im new to this forum stuff, but im hoping somebody could please help me, i just bought a 4.3 clark abalone centre console with a 40 yamaha, anyway i would love to get it out for its maidan voyage this weekend however i found a problem with the steering and i bought it private so theres no warranty, anyways my problem is the steering seems to be seized.
i disconnected the nut that holds the draglink, and this allowed the motor to swivel freely howvever the steering wheel still wouldnt turn, so i loosenend #the large nut where the steering cable attaches to the motor and the cable has plenty of slack in it now so the wheel will turn however my problem isnt solved as it seems the other side is still seized/jammed on the other side the rod basically will not move so even if i lube it and hook it back up i know it will still be seized, anyway ill try and take a few pics tomorrow. i hope it all makes sense and i would appreciate any help anyone can give me!
cheers Luke

way_out_bush
22-08-2006, 06:16 AM
Mate, There has been a very similar thread in the last week or so.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1156055648

I hope this works or just keep looking in the boating section.

Regards, Mick

stevedemon
22-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Hi luke some thing I place on rankinrays
try oiling your steer rod with gear box oil not grease, as grease intends to harden, place oil on rod then work the motor side to side keep the oil to it while working motor, this will free it up and stay free, also discount cable at steering wheel housing place a little bit of oil down cable while working motor will free whole cable, but it is more likely that the grease on motor end rod has harden had the same trouble till my mechanic and a friend informed me the best way to kept cables free.
but as stated on other post bushes behind steering wheel may also be seized remove steering wheel and 3 bolts remove bushes and clean with emery then place oil on the bushes this will free every thing up long swim home if not right :P ;D #if this does not work then you are looking at new cable as some times they will burr in the tubing this will make it tight but try as stated before going out spending Dollars :-? ::) ;D :( :'( ;D ;) ;D
Hope this helps

Cheers # ;D ;D
Steve #8-) 8-)

bogan-blackfish
22-08-2006, 01:32 PM
ok guys ive figured the problem, its seized up on the pivot shaft where it runs through the mount, now ive tried banging it with a hammer really hard and this isnt working so i found a post by someone else that said using a oxy or blowtorch can anyone give me some advice on this, wont this warp the shaft?? i have used an oxy before so i should be alright, just need some advice from people who have done this.

cheers Luke

spearfish_1
22-08-2006, 06:32 PM
if you heat it to much you can create alot of problems like gaskets and grease not being where they should be

Spaniard_King
22-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Be carefull putting an oxy near the tilt tube, It has nylon bushes in it...errr they probly will melt.

get some WD40 or the likes spray it in both sides and keep working the cable iff possible.

I normally use a lump of nylon on the end of the cable with a 3-4lb hammer in conjuction with the WD40 they normally come out. Once out get yourself a piece of 16mm booker rod/allthread and use it as a file to clean out the tube :-X.. dang lettin out me secrets again ;)

cheers

Garry

blaze
22-08-2006, 08:11 PM
the other way I clean out tilt tubes is
get a piece of 10mm nylon airline tube about 300mm long
cut a slot down the lenth of tube about 50mm
now place a piece of emery tape (about 300mm long) into the slot and roll it around the tube.
Now place the other end of the tube into your battery drill and you have a home made hone (remember the drill needs to turn the right way so the emery take doesnt come undone)
cheers
blaze

frankj
22-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Stick at it, keep squirting the wd40 or inox in the ends of the tube combined with gentle persuasion with a hammer and cushioning block while your mate rocks the steering wheel from side to side. It will free up although it can take some time. Talking from experience here. :)

The two best methods to prevent this happening again are

1 - Do not keep greasing the pivot tube, even though there are grease nipples, it hardens. My outboard mech advised me to use oil as has been previously said.

2 - Most important of all, use the boat regularly.